BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168990 - 07/21/12 12:46 PM Another 3-6-9 question
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
There was a previous topic from 2005 but i couldn't add to it. So, i'll ask it here. Maybe i'm a bowler who's not normal (lol, disregard that) but this 3-6-9 spare system i read about isn't specific enough. I've read and watched u-tube videos and it always says to move these increments while keeping your target the same. Okay, i can do that but here's what confuses me. I walk to my target so at the foul line it doesn't add up to three boards where if i walked straight up the approach it would. I walk to my target because i don't always finish in the same spot (distance from the foul line) and the angle to my breakpoint starts jumping everywhere (because of where i finish) but walking to my target gives me forgiveness with this.

What are my options here? Completely change my approach to the standard? Modify the 3-6-9? or, maybe, there is another system designed for us who walk to our targets? I'll be honest here, there are nights i'm completely "winging it" out there and thats on a house shot..

If changing needs to be done, now is the time.

Edited by metguy (07/21/12 12:47 PM)

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#169004 - 07/22/12 02:05 AM Re: Another 3-6-9 question [Re: metguy]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Maybe try the 2-4-6 system. That is, adjust your target at the arrows in two-board increments. That way you're always walking toward your target.

#169009 - 07/22/12 07:26 AM Re: Another 3-6-9 question [Re: metguy]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I've used the 3-6-9 system for spares for a very long time, and I walk to my target, too. I don't use my strike target for spares, though, unless I happen to be playing third arrow. Walking toward your target should still give you sufficient line change to make your spares- you may need to fine tune it based on lane conditions, but it works.

Bowl up a Storm!

#169025 - 07/22/12 03:09 PM Re: Another 3-6-9 question [Re: metguy]
aoiten Offline
Legend

metguy, do you hook at your spares?

The 3-6-9 adjustments are stance adjustments. It makes sense that your offset will be less at the foul line. It doesn't change the angle.

I saw a video by Coach Fred Borden in which the adjustment was 3-6-9 in one direction and 4-8-12 in the other direction. Something to consider. (You could always shoot straight up the boards even.)

#169028 - 07/22/12 04:28 PM Re: Another 3-6-9 question [Re: metguy]
metguy Offline
Legend

I do hook at all my spares except the 10. My 3-10 is pretty straight also.

I've seen that also (from Borden) but i get the impression it's expected that you are walking straight up the approach and throwing to the mark. I've also seen where you target between the 2nd and 3rd arrows for left side spares while targeting between the 3rd and 4th arrows for right side spares. That right side way of doing it is (practically) impossible for a bowler walking directly to their mark. You'd have to start on (like) 50 board to make that work.

I have 2 weeks left of summer league then i'm fixing my approach and going with (dare i say it) the generic bowling excepted style of walking straight up and throwing out. I agree that it is the better way of doing it but i don't like being forced to do something for the only reason being "lack of knowledge". I'm open minded enough to give it a serious look and we shall see what there is to see.

(CCWBRA)

#169047 - 07/23/12 06:30 AM Re: Another 3-6-9 question [Re: metguy]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Don't over think it. It works whether you walk towards your target, up the approach, or drift away from your target. If you're trying to play the same line, but you take one of the three paths I just described above to get to the foul line, you'll need to start from a different spot on the approach for each. So it only makes sense that your starting point for your spares should vary by about the same number of boards as your strike ball.
The 3-6-9 system has been around longer than the tophat and Christmas tree shaped oil patterns, so the best bet is to choose a line that keeps the ball inside the oil line the entire length of the pattern, so a spare target of the 3rd or 4th arrow (or somewhere in beween) usually works best. Throwing straight at everything with plastic will also take the pattern out of play, and let you take your normal spare lines from center to center without having to adjust them much.

Bowl up a Storm!

#169050 - 07/23/12 11:16 AM Re: Another 3-6-9 question [Re: metguy]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
+1 to Fin - don't overthink it.

When you move a board to adjust your strike shot, even if you're walking toward your target, it still makes an adjustment, yes? It does for me. . .

When I tell people to use the 3-6-9, it's never to use it religiously but rather to start with it and to use it as it works for you. I actually am "close" to 3-6-9 but based on a different line altogether for left-side spares and another (straight) for right-side (based on my 10-pin line). Typically works very well for me.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#169416 - 07/31/12 05:07 PM Re: Another 3-6-9 question [Re: metguy]
aoiten Offline
Legend

This is an "Adjusted 3-6-9 System" taught to USBC Bronze coaches. Compensates for hook on ball-side spares. See attached images for left and right handers.

Attachments
Spares_Adjusted_3-6-9_LEFTY.jpg

Spares_Adjusted_3-6-9.jpg

#169462 - 08/01/12 02:25 PM Re: Another 3-6-9 question [Re: metguy]
aoiten Offline
Legend

#169482 - 08/01/12 10:22 PM Re: Another 3-6-9 question [Re: metguy]
metguy Offline
Legend

Thanks aoiten, that is a great link. From that link there is also a number of other very interesting articles. Yeah, that Slowinski fellow is a pretty darn smart guy...

(CCWBRA)

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Today at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.