BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169286 - 07/29/12 08:55 AM Static Weights Still Relevant
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
As I have suggested here before, static weights remain relevant, even with today's dynamic cores. However, I was not aware of a scientific study to prove it...until now. The difference? Deflection, or what is described in the study as a fourth phase of ball motion...

Attachments
2011StaticWeightsStudy.pdf (499 downloads)

House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#169289 - 07/29/12 09:32 AM Re: Static Weights Still Relevant [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If you throw any ball on a lane that is either dry enough or long enough, you will see that every ball will back up to the right like it does in the video. Enhancing the static imbalance of the ball will enhance this. It wouldn't take long for someone to figure out how to shift the weight around and have the ball flip again to the strong side. Every study I have ever seen said that static weights well over the allowed 1oz will effect ball motion, but under usbc restrictions, not so much.

Richie Sposato of Lane #1 tried making the argument that shifting static weights would matter, but it didn't until he shifted the weight to over 3oz. but by then the ball would require a weight hole and it made more of a difference than the weight shift did.

I just hope they go back to a standard hard rubber ball with a pancake block in it and lanes oiled lightly all the way from gutter to gutter from foul line to head pin. Bowling should be played by bowlers, not physicists.

#169293 - 07/29/12 01:00 PM Re: Static Weights Still Relevant [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

The video titled "Does CG Matter?" is still available on Lane #1's site:
http://lane1bowling.com/videos/

While a better test might have been positioning the pin at 12:00 and the CG equidistant from the center of grip at 3:00 and 9:00 within USBC limits, the video illustrates the point well enough. If you pay attention to only one thing, where the ball exits the lane, it shows pretty clearly that a positive static weighted ball deflects less, and a negative static weighted ball deflects more. For a more scientific approach, see the 2011 study.

The point is, whether it is a 2 oz difference and the result is leaving a bucket every other frame, or the difference is a fraction of an ounce but the result is leaving one extra 10 pin in a 3-game set, I find that enough reason to make sure my equipment is positive static weighted within the legal limit to maximize ball reaction.

#169317 - 07/30/12 05:10 AM Re: Static Weights Still Relevant [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Leaving minimum 1/4 oz positive always worked for me, I was usually closer to 1/2oz after the weight hole.

I still think they need to abandon all this technology and return to a simpler game.

#169318 - 07/30/12 05:32 AM Re: Static Weights Still Relevant [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Loved this video clip from 1939 when bowling was simpler. Way before my time, but reminds me of when I first started bowling with an AMF 3-Dot Classic hard rubber ball:

Even then, Andy Varipapa was aware of a fourth phase of ball motion. See his trick shot starting at 6:47 where the ball hooks twice...in different directions.

Concerning positive weight, my goal is to finish with 3/4 - 7/8 ounce. That is close enough to the max without USBC officials wanting to drill extra holes in the ball.

#169324 - 07/30/12 09:30 AM Re: Static Weights Still Relevant [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
That was a great video. Some interesting points of note:

1. Did you see the 2 hole ball rolled by Ned Day? crazy
2. Did you notice Day's hand at the top of the backswing. It was palm up. That was the figure 8 release that was popular. worried
3. Did you see Day's actual release. as he turns his wrist and crosses his arm in front of his body? undecided
4. Varipapa was a master of the game, and he was no spring chicken. thumbsup
5. Finally, did you notice Sally in that tight sweater love
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#169345 - 07/30/12 03:46 PM Re: Static Weights Still Relevant [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Quote:
Even then, Andy Varipapa was aware of a fourth phase of ball motion. See his trick shot starting at 6:47 where the ball hooks twice...in different directions.

I believe Virapapa had a fishing weight planted in a weight hole and plugged over to make it do that trick. A friend of mine on the Senior tour used to tell stories about bowling with Virapapa and many of the old time bowling stars when he was young.

#169346 - 07/30/12 03:50 PM Re: Static Weights Still Relevant [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

I wonder what would happen if I started my own old school bowling league, plastic balls only, only three piece weight blocks allowed, oil pattern wouldn't matter too much (getting the house to put down a special shot is next to impossible). I could start my own sanctioning organization and start everything over from scratch. I bet I could have my own pro tour in less than 10 years and run the usbc out of business in less than that.

#169349 - 07/30/12 04:20 PM Re: Static Weights Still Relevant [Re: CoachJim]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
I could start my own sanctioning organization and start everything over from scratch. I bet I could have my own pro tour in less than 10 years and run the usbc out of business in less than that.

As much fun as that sounds, you'd run into the same problem Sport Bowling is running into. Bowlers don't want to be challenged, they want it easy. I'm thinking with this mindset that there is very little chance bowlers will bench their 200 dollar balls for plastic and 160 scores. It is too bad because their spare game would improve dramatically. I'd do it just for that...

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#169371 - 07/30/12 07:34 PM Re: Static Weights Still Relevant [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

I'd let you sanction for free. laugh I would let anyone from this site sanction for free and they would get $300 for a 300 game, now what do you think? Oh yeah and a real gold ring too.

The problem with the $200/ball set of balls is they cost $200/ball in my league they only cost $60. You can still alter the surface and still alter the weight hole and drilling pattern as long as there is not more than the current standard of static weight.

This idea sounds really good behind a couple of beers or real early in the morning by the way, but I'm feelin it now if you know what I mean.

Edited by CoachJim (07/30/12 07:38 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.