BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168817 - 07/17/12 10:20 AM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Fin09 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 47/M/Virginia Beach, VA
We've seen a couple of AMF centers close around here in the last few years. Most recently was a 48 lane center that had been there 40-50 years or more. Had started out as a Fairlanes center with half the house having duckpin lanes, converted to 100% tenpins, then sold to AMF. I'm sure they try to sell them individually after a package deal doesn't fly, but the price drops dramatically after they choose to close them, so it's wise to wait until they close before buying them. We still don't have a shortage of centers in this area (6 civilian centers at last count, 5 of them are AMF centers), but if AMF decides to cut bait around here, we could be in trouble. The company that owned most of the centers around here has talked about buying a couple back from AMF, but it hasn't happened. I bowl at the one non-AMF civilian center in the area, and it's because the staff actually treats us well and appreciates the fact that we spend our money and time there.

Bowl all you can now- the future of bowling is not looking good for the small minority that is the scratch bowler.

Bowl up a Storm!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#168830 - 07/17/12 01:13 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
AmpleSound Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 31/M/CO
Fortunately not really any centers closing here in the Denver metro area. Heck they even reopened one that was shutdown for about a year.
Roto-Grip Epic Battle - (Heavy/Med)
Brunswick Rattler - (Medium)
Lane Master Sure Strike - (Med/Dry)
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#168838 - 07/17/12 06:00 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
jeff75225 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Dallas
Are other AMF's as poorly run as the one I go to? They have had new people working ONE cash register on a very busy weekend. They had the girl who knew how to handle money efficiently serving food instead. I asked why they didn't ever have the other register open, and they told me it's broken. It's been broken for 2 years. At least if this alley closes, there's another alley not too far away from me, but it is more expensive.

Edited by jeff75225 (07/17/12 06:02 PM)

#168840 - 07/17/12 06:50 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
This week two of ours are gone. AMF Woodhaven closed immediately and AMF Alpine Valley at the end of the month. Both centers have been in the area for decades. Alpine especially has a very die hard group of bowlers that want to bowl there and no place else.

Erin

#168856 - 07/18/12 08:41 AM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Don't think the Closing Incidents are restricted to AMF.

If I draw a 25 mile circle on a map from my home, I have the following results:
2 Privately owned housed closed, both last year
2 Brunswick owned houses closed, both in April and May
1 AMF owned house closed in July
2 Privately owned houses on life support

In the mean while, if I expand the circle to 35 miles, I find 2 new Privately owned houses built. And, both are highly successful. I believe this coincides with population expansion of the area.

One thing is evident. Houses in financial trouble are cutting costs, in labor, service, lane maintenance, oiling. Houses that are maintaining their reliable employees and not hiring the minimum wage part timers, houses that put an effort into maintaining the lanes, and oiling routinely are making a go of it.

Even over the Summer, these bowler friendly houses are thriving with Summer Leagues and open bowlers.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#168889 - 07/18/12 01:08 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I did a google search for AMF closing and made the parameters just within the last month and got a bunch of hits, including the two centers in my area. The common theme to all of these is that these are older centers, in most case sounding like they have not been updated in decades (as is the case with our two closing centers).

Erin

#168930 - 07/19/12 09:46 AM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 58/M /Georgia
All the closings besides being an older center seem to be AMF Centers that AMF also leases the building.If the center is underperforming I can see why AMF would be sceptical about renewing or entering a new lease.

#168939 - 07/19/12 12:42 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Fin09 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 47/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but AMF didn't build any of the centers here- they bought them from the companies that built them (possibly an owner or two more in the chain for a couple of them). I don't know how much that affects the degree of investment they have in them, but I would imagine it would be easier for them to walk away from something they bought at less than full market value in the first place.

Bowl up a Storm!

#169040 - 07/23/12 01:57 AM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Lemur Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 29/m/Oviedo FL
The inside joke I always heard was AMF stood for "Another Manager Fired".

I have a friend (who I will not name for obvious reasons) who manages one of our local centers. Apparently, they just don't care very much. They do not really invest in anything at all. They have been using the same lane Master that the center inherited 20 years ago. Apparently, when you date the machine it goes all the way back to the late 60's. I am all for bringing back the space age look of the Brunswick Gold Crown series, and whatever the heck AMF had that looked similar... but the game has changed. Get a Kegel, and lay down some oil for once.

So, I could not be surprised if I saw a cut and run strategy from AMF now. They seem to have lost their way long ago, and are now are just glorified slum lords.

Well, at least that is my opinion.

First year anniversary of bowling this August. I think it's time for new shoes.

#169145 - 07/25/12 01:39 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Slight wrinkle here. Our Brunswick Manager has been promoted. He is being replaced by the nearby AMF house manager.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Proper Thumb Pitch for a Semi-Roller convert?
by nord - Today at 01:20 AM
Need some help with my release
by SubaruWRX - Today at 12:37 AM
Shoes - Brunswick versus Dexter?
by SubaruWRX - Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Ebonite Cyclone
by SubaruWRX - Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Resurfacing my ball.
by Dave800 - Yesterday at 09:33 PM
Trying to get back into it!
by SubaruWRX - Yesterday at 05:56 PM
Ball Weight
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 11:36 AM
Fall '14 virtual league announcements & discussion
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 11:15 AM
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:23 AM
Super Stars Of Bowling
by champ - Yesterday at 12:24 AM
Lane transition and changing balls
by TheDemolitionMan - 08/30/14 08:09 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Joe Bowler - 08/30/14 11:11 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.