BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168786 - 07/16/12 10:56 AM AMF Bowling Center Closings
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 57/M /Georgia
Looks like AMF closed the doors on quite a few bowling alleys last week. My hometown alley in Albany, Georgia (Bowl-A-Rama) shutdown with no warning at all. I no longer bowl there since I moved but I do have a lot of relatives that do and they had no indication that it was going to close until the sign appeared on the door. But, it looks like this alley is going to be saved. A local businessman is going to buy the equipment and reopen the lanes. You would think AMF would try to sell before they shutdown the lanes. Some of the other house are not as fortunate.
http://www.walb.com/story/19002723/albany-bowl-a-rama-shuts-down

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#168793 - 07/16/12 12:22 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Rocket Jr Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 15/M/Ohio
Yeah Boss, they closed valley lanes in Newark Ohio and never even mentioned it to the manager of 30 years!

#168794 - 07/16/12 02:28 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Dennis Michael Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
rolling Meadows bowl in rolling Meadows, Ill, near here, closed a week ago Sunday with no notice.

Ha, spell check won't let me put a capital R on rolling.

Edited by Dennis Michael (07/16/12 02:29 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#168795 - 07/16/12 03:02 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
slaterracing Offline

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Just called my local AMF since that is were my Pro Shop is at and I think i freaked the guy out a little. Told him i just wanted to make sure they were still there cause I am hearing that a lot of AMF lanes were closing without notice.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#168798 - 07/16/12 04:37 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Calvin Pistorio Online   content
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
AMF did try to sale centers but I believe they tried to sale all of those they were planning on closing as one, not separately. I heard about this about a year ago.
HS:763

2012-13 Winter Season
HG:280
HS:758

#168805 - 07/16/12 07:59 PM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
BOSStull Offline

A/S/L: 57/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
AMF did try to sale centers but I believe they tried to sale all of those they were planning on closing as one, not separately. I heard about this about a year ago.

Still you would think that if selling all the centers failed the option to sell individully would be on the table before closing the doors permantly.

#168812 - 07/17/12 12:04 AM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Dennis Michael Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
The disturbing thing I am seeing is that with centers closing (4 in a year around here), bowlers are not going to another center to bowl. They are just quitting.

I know a center that closed, and a league tried to move to another house. But, the house was 20 miles to the West. All of the bowlers who lived East quit the league. At the price of gas, a 40-50 mile round trip might be too costly for some.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#168813 - 07/17/12 01:09 AM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: BOSStull]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
This last week, two of our 5 AMF centers have announced closing.

AMF Woodhaven in Woodland CA

and

AMF Alpine Valley in So. Sacramento

HOnestly I don't see how these two centers lasted as long as they have. Woodhaven is in a very small community that does not support the center. Sacramento took them on into the assoc. when they could not handle the assoc. themselves. They are a good 40 to 45 min drive from the rest of our centers.

However, Alpine has had a sted fast group of supporting leagues, though not large. AMF did just put in synthetic lanes two years ago. But the age of the building is contra productive to cost effective remodling due to aspestos. Now I've heard that
AMF ownes the land. Thats a new one on me. But the center is in a very bad area. Plus another AMF center (AMF Land Park) just 3 miles away. And a new center opened up a few years ago just south. Brand new family entertainment type center. So there's a lot of competition. And if you cannot cook a hamburger because you don't have a cafe/kitchen due to asbestos then its due to be closed.
erin

#168814 - 07/17/12 03:37 AM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: Dennis Michael]
Calvin Pistorio Online   content
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
The disturbing thing I am seeing is that with centers closing (4 in a year around here), bowlers are not going to another center to bowl. They are just quitting.
I know a center that closed, and a league tried to move to another house. But, the house was 20 miles to the West. All of the bowlers who lived East quit the league. At the price of gas, a 40-50 mile round trip might be too costly for some.

Even if gas wasn't that expensive, 40+ miles round trip to bowl a weekly league isn't happening for me, especially if it's a week night. Even on a weekend it would be worth it for a league. Can't blame them there. I drive I think just under 20 round trip, never really paid attention to the miles, where I am currently bowling. That's about as far as I'm going to go for a league unless it's a short season. I actually have two centers closer, one that would be 6 miles round trip and the other 12 or 13 but I am bowling where my team wants to bowl, plus I refuse to step foot inside the one that is 13 miles round trip because of the way they treated league bowlers last time I bowled there.
HS:763

2012-13 Winter Season
HG:280
HS:758

#168815 - 07/17/12 07:04 AM Re: AMF Bowling Center Closings [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Mkirchie Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 33/M/New Jersey
I think I've mentioned it before, but the closest corporate owned centers to me are around 27 miles away. The center I've bowled at since I was 9 is only 6.5 miles away. Two other good privately owned centers are only 10 miles away and there are a few others privately owned centers that are still closer than the corporate centers. I'm pretty sure that a center hasn't closed within 25 miles of me in the last 5 years, but there were a decent amount of closings before then.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Ball Speed Calculator
by Eternal Bowler -
How to match a ball to the player's style?
by nord - 03:13 PM
Problem hitting my target/mark.
by Pat013 - 03:08 PM
New Targeting Formula
by djp1080 - 10:23 AM
Input on my form and approaches
by vdubtx - 12:03 AM
Sign-up for Fall '14 V-league open (close 8/17)
by steveA - 04:19 PM
Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread
by Richie V. - 04/16/14 09:59 PM
Approach Advice
by Smooth Stroker - 04/16/14 06:55 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 04/16/14 01:47 PM
Storm IQ Tour Fusion Video Ball Review
by SteveH - 04/16/14 10:16 AM
My complete set of 8 PBA 2014 League jerseys!!!
by BIGHMW - 04/15/14 11:28 PM
So, got my first ball.....
by Lonemorf - 04/15/14 03:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.