BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168663 - 07/11/12 09:32 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
who's that Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 35 Male New Jersey
Summer league arsenal..
-L/M Buzz Attack (light/short oil/spare ball)
-L/M Sting Widow Maker (medium long) pin down.. Sits in bag all night..
-Motiv Raptor P7 (medium heavy/heavy) Gets 75% of league...
-Motiv Raptor Attack (medium/heavy) Great ball for transition..

Tournament arsenal.. (In addition to everything above)
-Motiv Cruel (medium)
-L/M Extreme Damage (medium short)
-Track spare ball

FALL LEAGUE ADDITION
-2 Cruel

2 Cruel (pre-ordered)
Raptor P7
Raptor Attack
Buzz Attack

Secondary Equipment

Sting Widow Maker
Cruel C5
Xtreme Damage
Terminator

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#168764 - 07/15/12 03:39 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
forhuskers Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: North Dakota
Hello all

I'm hoping to get an opinion of my current arsenal (All are OOB):

Brunswick Alpha-Max
Storm Hy-Road (Benchmark ball)
Storm Victory Road
Columbia 300 Burst
Columbia 300 White Dot
Assorted 80's-90's urethane/reactive such as Blue Hammer, Columbia 300 Cuda/C, Piranha C, Power Torq, etc (All in a closet at home)

What gaps are there that you can see? I don't know my speed, RPM, etc. I would call myself a power tweener. I bowled for a lot of years, took a 10 year break, and started up again two years ago before breaking my ankle halfway through the season It's like I've had to learn to bowl all over again. I was a stroker years ago. Currently averaging around 190.

The conditioner on the lanes I bowl on doesn't really break down, it carries down. The bowlers in my two leagues range from 215 average to 110 averages. It's a small town with older wood lanes and pin setters that were purchased used a few years ago. Generally oiled to 41 feet, can range from medium to heavy in a normal house shot pattern. I think a big key is that there are all types of shots thrown from crankers to backup balls, so the oil is carried down all over the place.

Let me know if you would need any more info to make a recommendation. I've been looking at the Brunswick versa-max but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be too close too the Hy-road.

#169957 - 08/18/12 01:42 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
mail777 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/turkey
hi there. i have question about arsenal.
i have hammer taboo (old version 2000 abraion on it)
marvel pearl (just buy it never used, still dont drill. i think to drill it above pin and make it 4000 abraion and polish. ) i [censored] this ball for my benchmark
frantic (it drilled too strong i think i cant use it, our lanes are too dry for i think. i want to redrill it with pin down and for less hook, and 4000abraion and polish)
all above are 16pound.
and old 15pound ebonite charge for dry lanes.(not my ball my friend gave it tome. i cant feel good on this ball because its 15lb. )

i dont know my rev or speed here there is no place to measure them.
i can say that i like to play outside like norm duke or PA.
i am left handed and use two hand with no tumb. i can say that my rev is more than anybody i can see around. but i dont want to play inside. i am more confident when i play outside.
can you help me for my arsenal and drilling layout.

and one last question is there a rule that a ball must have at least 3 hole?
my taboo has 2 hole and i am happy with it.

for now i use taboo for my benchmarkball and have 195 on league.
i can say not benchmark just a taboo and spare ball.
i cant use frantic because of its stupid drill.

#169971 - 08/19/12 08:17 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Per USBC equipment specifications, a ball can have just 2 holes:
http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/...pecs-manual.pdf

Some general suggestions:
- One of the most important things is to make sure your ball fits properly. Find a good Pro Shop that will work with you. It is an essential first step.

- Become familiar with the Dual Angle drilling technique, and select at least one strong, medium, and weak layout to help match up to different conditions.
http://www.morichbowling.com/Education/Drilling.aspx

- Consider subscribing to Bowling This Month magazine for detailed information about various bowling balls. Each month's magazine is also available online. Ball Talk is available for previous years via download.
http://www.bowlingthismonth.com/

- If you can find a local coach that is familiar with two-handed technique, that would be great. Or, if you can post a video here, that would be helpful. There are lots of folks willing to help with identifying areas of improvement for your form.

- Understand that the lanes will tell you where to play them. Sometimes it is outside. Other times it is inside. Pattern length and other characteristics will usually determine the best angle of attack. It is up to the bowler to read their ball reaction and adjust.

Welcome to the forum and happy bowling.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#170264 - 08/26/12 01:42 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
mail777 Offline
League Bowler

i reply this on the other topic but i want to ask you one more question.
you said and i also think the same the lane tell us where to play but i never see parker bohn 3 or patrick allen or ryan cminelli play inside...

they always on the outside.. what are their strategies? i want to stay outside aspossible as i can. thats is why we build arsenal to beat down the lane.
i ask can i resurface the balls and drill them low flare and change them inside the game and use always outside?

#170267 - 08/26/12 10:31 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: mail777]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Originally Posted By: mail777
i reply this on the other topic but i want to ask you one more question.
you said and i also think the same the lane tell us where to play but i never see parker bohn 3 or patrick allen or ryan cminelli play inside...

they always on the outside.. what are their strategies? i want to stay outside aspossible as i can. thats is why we build arsenal to beat down the lane.
i ask can i resurface the balls and drill them low flare and change them inside the game and use always outside?

Lets break this question down into parts, then you decide.

The lane tells you where to play. If you know the length of the oil pattern and subtract 31, you get the best spot for where you want your ball to exit the oil. For the pattern you are on, this will give you the most forgiveness.

Most straighter bowlers need entry angle to strike (though i seriously question this :)) so they will push that forgiveness area to the outside as much as they can. It would give the illusion they are playing the same line always when that may not be the case. Remember, just because they are hitting second arrow doesn't mean their ball is breaking at 10 board always. They are moving their breakpoint around a few boards and using their arsonal smartly. For shorter patterns, they are getting out towards the gutter a few boards more and for longer patterns they are keeping it a little tighter a few boards EVEN THOUGH THEY MAY STILL BE HITTING THE SAME SPOT AT THE ARROWS.

For a THS, the pattern will be +/- a couple feet at the most and probably very likely the same distance every week. This is where knowing your equipment gives you an advantage. Kegel White pattern is 40 feet so you are now thinking i have to exit at 9 board. One problem though, after the first few feet, outside 9 board is DRY.

So, you pull out your new solid reactive ball and decide to play straight up 9 board. If you miss outside (towards the gutter) your ball hooks up on the dry lane and by the time it gets down the lane it is dead, no hook left, all its energy is spent. Or, you decide to move in a little and play 11 board out to 9, keeping the ball in the oil trying to reserve the balls energy for downlane hook. But, you just can't quite get the ball to make it back to the pocket for strikes. Hmm, what to do now? What ball are you using again? Oh yeah, a new solid reactive ball. And it won't play inside, even a little bit? Go back outside and pull out a ball that isn't so strong (cover wise), like a 4000 grit polished pearl. Now, do the same thing you just did with the solid reactive. What did that do? Maybe need to take the polish off of it and go just with the 4000. Try it again. It's nice when you have them already prepped and ready to go, just grab it out of the bag and bowl. Not always possible, sometimes they throw one heck of a curveball at ya (like out of bounds).

On a THS that you'll see in leagues, i'm not a big fan of mixing up your layouts for how you have your balls drilled. In some cases, yes, not for most it's just not needed. Find the reaction you like in a ball and change cover strengths. The more inside you like to play, the stronger your grits could be but an outside line bowler would best be served staying high in the grits, no more than 2500-3000 at the lowest.

There is no oil made that won't breakdown on you, sooner or later you will need to adjust. Maybe you can go all three games or maybe not, but knowing your baseline ball dynamics will serve you well when making that move.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#170268 - 08/26/12 01:02 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
My opinion on the matter of where to play the lanes...

1) If your main goal is to be a good league bowler, and you don't bowl too many different places, and the conditions are similar every week, you can probably get away with mastering one area of the lane. You can focus on buying equipment with weaker covers and cores, and using weaker layouts to keep you outside as much as possible.

2) If you want to enter the realm of tournament bowling, you'll need to be more versatile if you want to succeed. Some patterns just can't be played that successfully (or at all) from an outside line. As for the guys you mentioned who you've never seen playing inside...I'm sure they can and do when they need to in order to make money and place well, and when they are in situations that allow them to play to their strength, they show up on TV, and that's when you see them.

3) I hear a lot of people get hung up on learning to play different area of the lane, or using different hand positions, as though its a completely different thing. Try changing you mentality. Playing fourth arrow, and playing first arrow aren't completely different things; if the lanes are telling you to be there, you simply line up with your target, projects the ball toward your breakpoint, and let the pattern steer the ball. Sure the angle is different, but the physical motions aren't.

4) Consider your style. (I believe I've read you're a two hander) The two handed style is the ultimate in today's power game. It produces more speed, maximum revs, and as such is prone to the inside line. If you want to play outside, this style of delivery may always fight you. I'm not knocking the style, just saying it might not be best suited for what you style is.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#170269 - 08/26/12 03:13 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
mail777 Offline
League Bowler

thanks for the replies.. they help my progress.
and also you are right..
novadays i read a lot about drilling..
i think first of all i must find my drilling layout that fits my style.

and then i will begin to focus on surfaces.
i mentioned before we dont have any good Pro Shop or a bowler who knows tecnical details.
i want to become a bowler and i want to do it proper.. knowing the details.
thats why i read every topic in these forum.

i asked this another topic.
can i use frantic like vibe.
i mean i cant buy vibe or the same power ball now. we dont have a place that sells 16lb balls.

i want to build an arsenal like that.
taboo 2000 with polish
marvel pearl 4000 polish
frantic 4000 polish with low track drll. maybe pin down.
powergroove 2000 no polish or maybe 1000?
spare ball (i use this only 7pin. all the other i use strike ball.)

how is it ?
i can buy a ball when i go usa. what kind of ball i must to supply my arsenal.

i want to be a pro bowler. not a league bowler. thats why i care too much attention on my arsenal..

i bowled for 1year and my avarage is 195 for now.
but it begin to rise..

#171382 - 09/23/12 04:05 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
charliexx Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 37/Male/Riyadh Saudi Arabia
What should be my in-between ball layout now or my third ball in the bag

PAP: 5 inch Horizontal 1 Inch Up

Storm Vivid - 55 Degrees / 4 1/2 Pin to PAP / 40 degrees
Brunswick Nexxxus - 45 Degrees / 4 Pin to PAP / 55 Degrees
Storm Natural / Invasion
Roto Grip Berserk / Defiant Soul
All 14.3lbs - and not even a Storm staffer yet :-)

#171384 - 09/23/12 06:54 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: charliexx]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: charliexx
What should be my in-between ball layout now or my third ball in the bag

Storm Vivid
Brunswick Nexxxus

You currently have two very strong pieces of equipment. Unless you are bowling on a very heavy oil pattern, you will want a ball in the "benchmark" category, and one for drier lanes when they break down. Balls like the storm Hy-Road or Crossroad might be great becnhmark balls, and equipment like the Columbia Freeze, Storm Tropical Breeze, or Hammer Vibe would be good to look at for the drier lane balls. Lower end equipment should be used much more frequently than higher end equipment, because oil patterns that call for such aggressive equipment aren't that common.

All of this of course comes with the sidenote of: no ball will overcome delivery flaws. For ever dollar you spend on bowling balls, another ten dollars should be spend on practice and coaching.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.