BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 11 of 18 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168164 - 06/21/12 09:28 AM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: metguy]
Mark B Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 37 M Rochester NY
metguy, myself and a friend have been thinking about this, however the initial investment is not cheap for the drilling stuff.

on a side note... I have been telling people in my fall league about my resurfacing and bowling oven. I have been working it from a "drug dealer perspective"... do few of the popular bowlers equipment then let word of mouth spread and it worked smile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#168185 - 06/22/12 08:22 AM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: metguy]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: metguy
My jig and Fringe are both arriving TODAY (seperate deliveries). smile I already have the drill bit set, scale, and the drill press will be bought saterday from Sears. My question to you is this. I want to try drilling a ball with longer pins, is there a range of top weight i should request? I see Bowling.com has another 2Fast in their closeout bin, i really like my current 2Fast. What do ya think, give it a shot or find another ball?

Congrats on the arrival of your jig.

In general, with longer pins, less top weight gives you more drilling options. Otherwise, depending on the layout, you might need a crater-sized balance hole.

But, since you are drilling for yourself, and not ordering blind to fill an inventory, I would suggest figuring out the layout you want to use first, and map it on another ball. Then, measure the distance from CG to center of grip. On an undrilled ball with 3 ounces of top weight, figure about 1 ounce per inch. Everything over 1 ounce, you will have to remove with a balance hole. If it's not much, you are good ordering a ball with 2-3 ounces top weight. If it's a lot, you probably want to lean towards 2 ounces or less.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#168189 - 06/22/12 10:40 AM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: Joe Bowler]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
On an undrilled ball with 3 ounces of top weight, figure about 1 ounce per inch. Everything over 1 ounce, you will have to remove with a balance hole. If it's not much, you are good ordering a ball with 2-3 ounces top weight. If it's a lot, you probably want to lean towards 2 ounces or less.

Okay, so if my CG ended up 1 1/4" from the center of the grip, i'd be looking at ordering a ball with 1-2oz top weight or 2-3oz with a balance hole needed?

I was wondering though, does this just pertain to a drilling that has the pin and CG an equal distance to the midline? Since we weigh the ball three different ways then i'm thinking this would be fine one way but maybe not on another?

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#168190 - 06/22/12 11:01 AM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: metguy]
Joe Bowler Offline

Quote:
Okay, so if my CG ended up 1 1/4" from the center of the grip, i'd be looking at ordering a ball with 1-2oz top weight or 2-3oz with a balance hole needed?

If a ball had 3 oz top weight before drilling, and the CG was 1-1/4 inch from the center of the grip, I would estimate it to have about 1-1/4 ounces side/top/finger weight after drilling, depending on the CG location relative to the center of the grip. If you wanted to get the ball back to static legal, or a typical target of 3/4 ounce imbalance, you would only have to remove about 1/2 ounce with a balance hole which is easily done. So, 2-3 ounces top weight would be good.

Quote:
I was wondering though, does this just pertain to a drilling that has the pin and CG an equal distance to the midline? Since we weigh the ball three different ways then i'm thinking this would be fine one way but maybe not on another?

The Pin location does not factor into adjusting the static weights.

#168208 - 06/23/12 11:53 AM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: Joe Bowler]
metguy Offline
Legend

The Pin location does not factor into adjusting the static weights.

Yeah, i knew that (i don't know what i was thinking).

I just got my drill press put together, took all of 10 minutes. Its pretty nice but have a couple things to do with it yet. The lasers aren't set and the table needs work so i can mount my jig to it.

If anyone has noticed, my arsonal is almost solely Pearls. This will be addressed. I have drilled the Natural Pearl with the KMT, have the Fringe ready to drill, and the Heat (orange/purple) Pearl on its way. My plan is to get the press up and going this week and drill up the Heat. If all goes well, the Fringe will follow. Early next month, the Crossroads will be ordered. Then, i want another shot at the Critical Theory drilled my way.

I have now aquired pretty much everything but i still want the Precision Edge Gauge. Then, look out because i'm re-loading my arsonal for the fall season.

(CCWBRA)

#168365 - 06/28/12 09:19 AM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: metguy]
metguy Offline
Legend

Okay, i got a little ahead of myself with the Natural Pearl. First thing was the thumb solid. I didn't realize there were Urethane and plastic solids. I bought a urethane one. Not really a big deal except when i went to bevel it, well i struggled to get the hole centered on the spinner. This is why i inquired about a whatchamacallit. I just ordered the material to make one and these guys are pretty darn fast delivering. It's thursday morning and i expect it will arrive saterday.

The Fringe and Heat are both waiting on the Precision Span Gauge, hope to order that friday morning. I could drill them up without it but i think i'll wait a few more days until it arrives.

The mounting of the ball jig to the drill press is coming along alright. I need to drill four holes and tap them so i can complete this part of the project. Gathering supplies for that...

Oh, almost forgot the "other" project i have going. It's a 16 ball 4 layer ball rack. I looked at some on e-bay and decided i could make one better. It will have (I'm thinking) galvinized 3/4" pipe running lengthwise with insulated rubber to cushion the ball. Obviously there will be 2 pipes per layer. On the ends will be ends you might see on a shower curtain rod to hold it in place. The sides will be 2x10 planks (that is pending a better idea) and i'll place a chunk of plywood sheeting in the back for support and to give it a cabinet look. The front and top will be open.

I don't think i mentioned what drill press i got. It's a Porter Cable 15" floor mount 1hp press. I like it, i like it alot.

(CCWBRA)

#168366 - 06/28/12 09:28 AM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: metguy]
Joe Bowler Offline

i struggled to get the hole centered on the spinner. This is why i inquired about a whatchamacallit.

Oh, that's why...have you considered getting a hand held bevel sander instead? For example, http://www.innovativebowling.com/products/bevel%20sander.html.

#168367 - 06/28/12 09:33 AM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: Joe Bowler]
metguy Offline
Legend

i struggled to get the hole centered on the spinner. This is why i inquired about a whatchamacallit.

Oh, that's why...have you considered getting a hand held bevel sander instead? For example, http://www.innovativebowling.com/products/bevel%20sander.html.

I'm thinking about it now, thanks JB. Now, what am i gonna do with a chunk of aluminum? lol

(CCWBRA)

#168374 - 06/28/12 12:24 PM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: metguy]
Joe Bowler Offline

Quote:
First thing was the thumb solid. I didn't realize there were Urethane and plastic solids. I bought a urethane one.

I find vinyl slugs easier to work with. You can cut the excess with an Xacto knife after drilling, and they resist sanding just enough to bevel nicely. I was once sent urethane slugs by mistake, and they were so hard, I needed to use a plug cutter to make the edges flush with a ball. To my surprise, they sanded a bit too easily and the bevels wound up flat instead of rounded.

To save drilling time and improve consistency, I am currently experimenting with Turbo Round Vinyl Thumb inserts. Hopefully, they will make working on thumbs as easy as fingers. And, it only requires a 1-1/8 inch bit, instead of 1-1/4 inch. So, they should be easy to cut and bevel. And, if anything goes horribly wrong, you can always drill it out to 1-1/4 inch and insert a slug, instead.

Oh, here is a drilling tip for the thumb slugs. If you line up a 1-1/4 inch washer on top of the slugs, you can use a permanent marker to mark the inner ring of the washer. That will help center the bit when you drill.

#168376 - 06/28/12 12:29 PM Re: My Pro Shop is FIRED! [Re: metguy]
Joe Bowler Offline

Quote:
Now, what am i gonna do with a chunk of aluminum? lol

When you are all done getting everything set up, you can start on a ball drilling robot, hehe.

Page 11 of 18 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.