BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168105 - 06/19/12 05:17 PM Need Honest Opinions?
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
There is a PBA regional event at one of my local houses at the end of Aug. So here is my question. Should I do it. I am a normal league bowler that does local team and singles tournaments and have done OK this last year. In the tournaments I Avg in the 190's so def not prof class. So would I just be throwing my money away to enter it. For a non PBA member it is $285. Now I think I can get a couple of sponsor to help cover the cost and that would help. The pattern is Cheetah if that helps with the choice any. Let me know honestly what you think.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#168108 - 06/19/12 05:37 PM Re: Need Honest Opinions? [Re: slaterracing]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Have you bowled on the Cheetah before? If not, how well do you do out near the gutter? If you do OK and you have a good arsenal for covering a short oil pattern and it's transitions, or if you just want to see what it's like, then I say go for it, have fun and see how you do. Good Luck, post back and let us know if you decide to do it.

#168109 - 06/19/12 05:38 PM Re: Need Honest Opinions? [Re: slaterracing]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Wow! Like baseball fantasy camp! I would definitely go if I could schmooze with the pros and if I had $285. On the other hand, there's about 100 things I'd buy first with that $285.

Everything is relative, I suppose.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#168111 - 06/19/12 07:57 PM Re: Need Honest Opinions? [Re: slaterracing]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I think if you have $285 to spend on "experience" then do it. But don't take other people's money in sponsorship just so you can gain some experience. I wouldn't do that anyway. But if you have it yourself to spend, then go for it.

Erin

#168119 - 06/19/12 11:53 PM Re: Need Honest Opinions? [Re: slaterracing]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I say bowl it up, learn while you are there at the very least and who knows. You might just surprise yourself!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#168127 - 06/20/12 06:58 AM Re: Need Honest Opinions? [Re: slaterracing]
Joe Bowler Offline

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
You wanted an honest opinion. Here it is. Spend the money on coaching, equipment, Norm Duke's video, a Bowling This Month subscription, a video camera to record your bowling, and/or something else that will improve your game instead.

Please don't take it personally. The reason I say that is, if your current league average is 183, and you occasionally roll in the 190's at tournaments, you have little chance of cashing or getting any return on your $285 investment bowling scratch against regional pros. There are some here who average in the 240's. They eat 180-average bowlers for breakfast. They would be happy to take your money, and all you will get in return is a lesson in humility.

Instead, wait for a Pro-Am. You can meet the pros, bowl with them, and have a fun experience for a lot less money, and a real chance to win since they are usually handicap tournaments. In the meantime, keep working on your game, get into a sport shot league, and when you are consistently averaging over 200 on the tougher patterns, you will have a better chance of success bowling a regional. Then, I would say go for it. Still, nothing stopping you from going and watching the upcoming event.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#168130 - 06/20/12 08:38 AM Re: Need Honest Opinions? [Re: slaterracing]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Which experience do you want? Do you want to learn to bowl the cheetah? Or do you want the experience to bowl with pros?

To learn the patterns, there are PBA leagues you can try. And, many houses put down the patterns on off nights for practice.

If you want to bowl with pros, take Joe's advice and look for a pro-am event near you. Many even give away balls as an inducement. You can learn and have fun too.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#168149 - 06/20/12 05:17 PM Re: Need Honest Opinions? [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Thanks for all the opinions I appr all of them very much. Dont know yet what I will do I have some time to think about it as it is still 2 months off.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#168150 - 06/20/12 05:52 PM Re: Need Honest Opinions? [Re: slaterracing]
3ripmin Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 36/m/ca
i say that there is much more value in scratch 6 and 8 gamers than there is bowling any pba event, and, youll be bowling against the same guys that bowl the regionals.

if youre under 200 then you should be bowling handicap tournaments.

i think a lot of guys bowl pba events just so that can say that they have. i wont bowl one until i feel im better than most of the people that enter them.

#168250 - 06/25/12 04:39 PM Re: Need Honest Opinions? [Re: slaterracing]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I'm never one to tell someone not to try something that they want to do, but I'd get some experience on the PBA patterns before spending that kind of money. Make sure you bowl at least one before it's all said and done (bucket list if nothing else), but have some confidence in yourself that you'll be able to compete when you get there.

Bowl up a Storm!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.