BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167924 - 06/14/12 10:22 PM New League started tonite - Disaster!!
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
It is becoming more and more popular here to hold head to head competition in a league format. And, another was to start tonight. I have been enjoying the Petersn Point league I am in, and wondered about this one.

So, I went to the lanes early to snoop, and found the House CLOSED. One of the workers, who knows me, let me in, where I found a large section of the dropped ceiling, lying on the floor.

It seems that over the years, they have attached lights, speakers, hang banners and a bunch of other stuff from the grid of the ceiling panels. And, it finally gave way, crashing on the approaches of a dozen lanes. Not only did this section fall, but the ceiling was just hanging in the rest of the House in either direction.

the Manager said they will have it fixed by tomorrow. Ha, being in Construction for a number of years tells me it will take 24 hours just tosecure or remove other places that are in jeopardy. To fully rebuild the ceiling will take some time.

As I talked with the laneman, he also showed me a panel that he picked up wit speaker wires attached, and a metal box, containing circuitry for the cosmic bowling lights. Seems over the years, a lot has been attached to the ceiling without being attached to the roof trusses. The ceiling grid is NOT structurally sound to support that weight.

I now wonder, this is probably the same technique that other Houses use as well. Glad no one was injured.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#167925 - 06/14/12 10:47 PM Re: New League started tonite - Disaster!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Absolutely Dennis, without a doubt I think you are right. The quick addition of cosmic equipment to make a buck is probably more the standard then not. When Cosmic Bowling became a hit, every one jumped onto the band wagon at once and I doubt many of them took the time to think about structural integridy.

Erin

#167926 - 06/14/12 10:52 PM Re: New League started tonite - Disaster!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Agreed, I am positive one of my local centers has done the same thing. I was there during the install and not once was the drop ceiling tile taken off. They just screwed right into the ceiling grid and away they went.

Look out below! lol...
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#167944 - 06/15/12 11:42 AM Re: New League started tonite - Disaster!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Mike Holmes would have a field day. laugh

Yeah, you can probably look at a week to hang the ceiling but any inspector is going to want to have a look at what they're hanging stuff on first so that's gonna take some time as well. . .

(I'm assuming a pretty decent sized center, having to strip the old and remount new from a clean area)

Edited by mmalsed (06/15/12 11:43 AM)

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#167947 - 06/15/12 12:41 PM Re: New League started tonite - Disaster!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
My house was smart about the cosmic thing...they put in the cosmic stuff as part of a major renovation that took up a whole summer (the same time they put in the synthetic lanes), and everything is still up today.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#167953 - 06/15/12 04:24 PM Re: New League started tonite - Disaster!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Unfortunately this doesn't surprise me, being in construction myself and seeing what some of the so call pros try to get away with much less those that don't know any better. I would say to legally and correctly do it plus have all the auxiliary audio/visual equipment properly supported is a several week job. Depending on how old the grid is it might be very difficult to find any that matches in that could mean completely replacing the whole ceiling. Yeah I'd say the center has their hands full with this and having it fixed overnight isn't probable.

Now the grid and support wires are rated at a certain amount, can't remember what I've seen and it's more than just the weight of the ceiling. It's probably twice that but that is spread out over the whole ceiling and not a bunch of weight in one spot.
HS:763

#167983 - 06/16/12 04:02 PM Re: New League started tonite - Disaster!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

The lanes reopened. The maintenance guys did the repairs. The section that fell, was replaced, and I was assured that they resecured the adjoining areas, so they were safe.

The extra weight in the ceiling was caused by the old telemonitor system. there was a TV camera over each lane that taped the ball path on every shot that could be replayed on the overhead monitors. The system had long ago been abandoned. But, all of the cameras were still in a false drop ceiling boxed at the foul line. All of the cameras have now been removed as well.

#167987 - 06/16/12 06:29 PM Re: New League started tonite - Disaster!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
The Center I mostly bowl in has a leaky roof. During league one night it was raining hard which caused a big bulge in a ceiling tile directly over the desk area. It never did pop while I was there but they did have to put a bucket under it to catch the drops that were leaking through it. A few weeks later once again it was raining hard during league, but this time no leak. I asked if the proprietor finally fixed the roof. They said no, he just put the bucket up in the ceiling so the tile doesn't get wet again. laugh
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#167990 - 06/16/12 06:44 PM Re: New League started tonite - Disaster!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Quality workmanship there VFF57 smile

#167992 - 06/16/12 10:05 PM Re: New League started tonite - Disaster!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Ingenious. I am never surprised to see what some people do to "fix" a problem.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.