BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166894 - 05/14/12 10:51 PM Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Just got back from a sport shot tournament that one of my local centers does each monday night over the spring and summer. This week was the shark pattern and boy did it kick my rear end all night. I avg a whopping 148 lol. It will be the same pattern next week as well so will see what i can do with it. After that it will change so something else. They run each pattern for 2 weeks then change. The highest series was a 608 so everyone struggled.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#166897 - 05/14/12 11:08 PM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
dgordon0408 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
Im bowling a summer sport league thats pba patterns, and last night we bowled on chameleon, and i can honestly say i only had 5 opens 3 being splits, 2 makeable splits, and the other 2 were 2 chopped 1/2/8s and i only shot 520, at one point i had 7 spares in a row, the best way for me in my mind to attack these patterns is going to be playing as straight as possible making the correct adjustments and making my spares, my goal for this league is to average between 180 and 190, i would love to hit 200 but i dont see it happening on these difficult patterns, we have one more week of chameleon and then 2 weeks of cheetah which i bowled on 2 weeks ago and it does not play as short as you would think, so im hoping that i can just continue to shoot my spares well, i talked to scott newell today and he said not to worry about problems on chameleon and some of the patterns because theyre insanely difficult, chameleon is the hardest for him, so honestly the sport patterns are humbling even for pros
Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

#166901 - 05/15/12 08:58 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Ya there were guys there that I have bowled with in other tournaments with that I have seen shoot some very high games and they struggled alot. Just having to move and adjust angles so often was tough.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#166902 - 05/15/12 09:42 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
Mark B Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 37 M Rochester NY
this is my first summer doing a tough shot. we are doing the kegal navigation sport patterns, and move a pair to the right every game.

I agree, its very very humbling...

#166904 - 05/15/12 09:56 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
Converting easy spares is a MUST on these shots. It is hard to mentally do when you are not striking.

Convert spares and hope for a double along the way.

Slatteracing - looking at your equipment you may have some issues on shark. I would sand that Marvel to about 500 grit and start with that ball, then move to the anarchy when the shot opens up....Just my opinion...Good luck next week!

#166905 - 05/15/12 10:45 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: spillup24]
slaterracing Offline

Originally Posted By: spillup24
Converting easy spares is a MUST on these shots. It is hard to mentally do when you are not striking.

Convert spares and hope for a double along the way.

Slatteracing - looking at your equipment you may have some issues on shark. I would sand that Marvel to about 500 grit and start with that ball, then move to the anarchy when the shot opens up....Just my opinion...Good luck next week!

Thanks i will give that a shot. The Anarchy was def the ball i went to later on but could only strike on teh right line and could pick up a spare on the left lane to save my life. Had a ton of slips as well. The biggest thing i found was there is no room for error. If the ball went right 2 boards it washed out and left 2 boards it went thru the nose. Now if i hit my mark and had the speed right it shredded the rack but that was few and far between. guess i just need pract to get better.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#166906 - 05/15/12 10:50 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I tend to play most sport patterns very similar- as straight as possible, with very little room to miss. I don't normally see the patterns open up much (lefty!), so when my aggressive ball starts to burn up too quickly, or it pushes too much oil down lane, I'll switch to something that goes longer with more energy on the back.
The only real difference I see with many of the sport patterns is how the length will affect the break point. The shorter the pattern, the further out the break point. But, I'm still trying to stay fairly straight through the heads as long as possible.

Bowl up a Storm!

#166907 - 05/15/12 11:23 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
I've been on Kegel patterns for just about 2 years now, both summer and fall/winter leagues, after USBC/PBA pattern debacle both nationwide and also the politics within our corporate system--neither here nor there, but I also did spend a season on PBA animals so I remember what's similar and what's different.

Key to remember is not necessarily how the shot is played up front (those parameters are available and can be tuned to your needs) but how it's broken down, and the best way to do that is to be aggressive with your equipment and line. You can play off someone else doing the work, but it's hard to adjust with them, so it's best if you take the initiative for yourself.

Shark's 43' long, but if I recall, it's a thin volume. I do remember it's a fairly quick breakdown provided you choose your equipment properly--Marvel probably won't cut it since it's a hybrid and your Anarchy is a pearl so you're throwing some Shark unfriendly equipment...lots of skid and maybe not enough flip.

Eg. my Pursuit, quite the solid biscuit ball, ate up a nice line on Rt. 66, which is akin to Shark, and within a game and a half or so I could gear all the way down to a Cyclone and play comfortably straight up into the track--of course, I'm Martha Stewarting out the part where my teammate also played here as well with either a Pursuit or a urethane so our track was quickly and easily constructed. It's absolutely 100% crucial you watch your equipment roll all 60' of the lane. Ball will tell you when it's done and ready for something else--usually a flat 10 or a very late/weak tap from the 6 pin.

Also very very very important is that your ball get into a roll early, and never throw it and expect it to work consistently and properly. It won't show you what's happening, and you'll just get frustrated by all the odd looking pocket 7-10s, flat 10s, blower 7s for "no reason".

You have one more week on Shark and then what, slate?

(I'm hoping you get Cheetah soon cuz shorties are my favorite. Love that delicate dance off twig!)

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#166910 - 05/15/12 12:24 PM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Not sure what the next pattern will be until next Monday night. Then they will set it up the following thursday for open bowling if anyone wants to come pract before. Did not know this or i would have gone last thursday to pract some.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#166911 - 05/15/12 12:42 PM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
That's excellent. You'll be ahead of the game in no time. I bet you'll start liking this format better than THS. I certainly do.

I despised Viper, by the way. That was my nemesis. Found it way more difficult than Chameleon, which I found tricky, but not awful. Just could never find the right line for Viper, but my level of Execution and knowledge wasn't anything where it is now so I'm certainly willing to try it again.

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 03:59 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.