BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166921 - 05/15/12 08:47 PM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Try starting with something really even that reads the lanes really early, I would suggest your Furious at about 1500 or so. This will allow you to manage the game early waiting to score for later in the block when you can open the lanes up.

Being 43 feet in length means you have to keep the ball close to the pocket, exit point around 12. Try to start going directly up 12 and see what the ball does, if it jumps through the nose you need to move slightly left and open up your angles to cut down on the down lane reaction.

As the lane transitions I would move in and switch to the Anarchy, relying on the dry spot you have created with the Furious should allow you to open the lanes up enough that the Anarchy will really play well as long as you aren't afraid to get it out to the spot.

As the Anarchy becomes to snappy you should be able to switch to the Modern Marvel and play the same line, the ball will read a little earlier but will burn up just enough to keep it off the head pin. If that is still a little to much ball down to the Frantic and play the same line again and see what that gets you. Hopefully you won't have to drop lower than that, it should be enough to get you through about 4-5 games but any more than that and you might have to throw the ice directly up about 14-15 near the end.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#166922 - 05/15/12 09:02 PM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Right now I have my furious at 1000 and my modern at 2000 then all the others are out of box finish. I did not try to throw the furious until the 3rd game and by that time it was way to snappy at the back end and kept going thru the nose so i only threw it a few frames. the one that worked the best was the anarchy but did not work great for long. the lanes changed so fast i just could not keep up. need to just start moving every 2 to 3 frames tops. Will see how i do thrusday night when i go pract a little on the pattern again.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#167063 - 05/21/12 08:20 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
You are correct that the lanes transition much faster on a "pattern" than they do during league on the THS. Now you see what Randy is talking about during the telecasts when he says the bowlers are "stuck in transition" lol.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#167068 - 05/21/12 08:51 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
You could always bowl on a sport league and have every pattern bowl the exact same way. LOL Then ask the lane mechanic what pattern he's putting down, and have him look at you like you've just talked a foreign language to him. Lets just say, I won't bowl a PBAX league there anymore.
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#167075 - 05/21/12 10:02 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Well i am shooting on the same pattern tonight and now have a the roto grip critical theory so will see how that works for me. Hopefully i can use that to burn up a line then move down a little to my frantic as i normally can control that ball very well. Just have to remember to move left and attack this thing which is the opp of what i would normally do on a THS.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#167079 - 05/21/12 11:54 AM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: sk8shorty01]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Originally Posted By: slaterracing
Well i am shooting on the same pattern tonight and now have a the roto grip critical theory so will see how that works for me. Hopefully i can use that to burn up a line then move down a little to my frantic as i normally can control that ball very well. Just have to remember to move left and attack this thing which is the opp of what i would normally do on a THS.

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
Try starting with something really even that reads the lanes really early, I would suggest your Furious at about 1500 or so. This will allow you to manage the game early waiting to score for later in the block when you can open the lanes up.
Being 43 feet in length means you have to keep the ball close to the pocket, exit point around 12. Try to start going directly up 12 and see what the ball does, if it jumps through the nose you need to move slightly left and open up your angles to cut down on the down lane reaction.
As the lane transitions I would move in and switch to the Anarchy, relying on the dry spot you have created with the Furious should allow you to open the lanes up enough that the Anarchy will really play well as long as you aren't afraid to get it out to the spot.
As the Anarchy becomes to snappy you should be able to switch to the Modern Marvel and play the same line, the ball will read a little earlier but will burn up just enough to keep it off the head pin. If that is still a little to much ball down to the Frantic and play the same line again and see what that gets you. Hopefully you won't have to drop lower than that, it should be enough to get you through about 4-5 games but any more than that and you might have to throw the ice directly up about 14-15 near the end.

The pros tend to play the shark just as sk8 mentioned. If they are crankers then they're playing deeper, though still trying to get the ball to hit and exit the breakpoint around 12. I would definitely recommend trying what sk8 advised. With such a long pattern you're typically not going to see a big arc here.
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#167087 - 05/21/12 01:46 PM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
I avg a whopping 148 lol.

Yep, expect to be 20-40 pins under your THS average until you get some experience on those conditions. After two summers in the PBAx league my best average was 180 which was still 35 pins under my THS.

I don't think I would join another sport league/tournament again without getting significant practice and maybe even some coaching. I inadvertently picked-up some bad habits like pointing and gripping the ball along with timing problems which took me awhile to fix once I got back to the THS leagues. Competing with unexpected/undesirable ball reaction can really wreak havoc on the mental game.

-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#167091 - 05/21/12 02:49 PM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
Originally Posted By: slaterracing

Do you already have some Abralon pads in your bag for on-demand scuffing (in practice), right?

BTW, these're a little gimmicky, but those steriod/adrenaline ball wipes do actually work at opening a (reactive only) ball for absorbing more oil and adding more backend.

Follow the instructions and hold your nose. Says they're approved for after practice/during play use to change surface. Used 'em on my Freeze during THS to bust a one-track-type-of-guy's line, and I'd like to say it was effective in breaking him quicker than if I was just sitting on his line with unchanged or simply sanded surface.

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#167092 - 05/21/12 02:53 PM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Yep i do have 500, 1K, 2K and 4K all in my bag just incase i want to change things around a little. normally done touch the ones that are polished but i will def play around with the surface on my modern and furious, then will do the same for my son on his 2furious and hyroad as we have the polished knocked off that one. I leave his crossroad alone cause it just works to well right out of the box.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#167094 - 05/21/12 04:27 PM Re: Sport Shot Tournament Very Humbling [Re: slaterracing]
sdavis63 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 48/m/stl/mo
Is it safe to say, the more oil- the duller your ball should be on a fresh shot, like the first game?

Ebonite NVD
Ebonite Game Plan
Track Kenetic Pearl
Storm HyRoad
Brunswick Twisted Fury Pearl
MoRich N'Tense

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - 12/12/19 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.