BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159729 - 12/21/11 07:57 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: Hunter]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
Originally Posted By: Hunterx
If this thread were to be updated for today's balls instead of 2008, would it look something like this? Using balls mentioned on this site mostly...

Heavy oil: Storm VG Nano, DV8 Hell Raiser, RG Critical Theory Brunswick Nexus f(p+f)/Alpha

Medium oil: Storm Frantic, Storm 2Furious, Brunswick Revolver, Ebonite Mission, DV8 Reckless

Light oil to very dry: Storm Reign Supreme, Brunswick Slingshot, Roto Grip Riot, Storm Tropical Heat

And a SPARE ball smile

Does this pretty much sum it up for the "more common" balls talked about here?

Compare the Storm Frantic and the Reign Supreme. wink

You've put the Frantic in medium, which is pretty correct. But when the look at the Reign Supreme's specs, they have: the same coverstock and the same box finish. Remember cover stock is 50-60% of the ball's reaction. These two bowling balls will have a fairly similar reaction (Reign Supreme will go just a little longer), and part of building an arsenal is having a wide range of reactions.

Storm Tropical Breeze instead of heat in light oil, mission to heavy oil, remove reign supreme and you've a basic list there (obviously there's more than storm/roto grip, ebonite and brunswick ;P)
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#159740 - 12/21/11 12:48 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: Kitten Latch]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
Originally Posted By: Kitten Latch
Compare the Storm Frantic and the Reign Supreme. wink

You've put the Frantic in medium, which is pretty correct. But when the look at the Reign Supreme's specs, they have: the same coverstock and the same box finish. Remember cover stock is 50-60% of the ball's reaction. These two bowling balls will have a fairly similar reaction (Reign Supreme will go just a little longer), and part of building an arsenal is having a wide range of reactions.

This is such a coincidence. I bowled with someone last night who had a Reign Supreme and it had a lot more backend than a video I saw online last week.

Good tip on the coverstock being responsible for about 50%-60% of the balls reaction. I guess the core would account for 10%, the bowler's contribution another 20% and then percentages for the sanded finish on the ball and RG?
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#159741 - 12/21/11 12:52 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: Hunter]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
I just purchased a Brunswick Apha-Max to go with my Slingshot. Now I will need a medium ball next.

I am anxious to find someone who has a HyRoad or Frantic in my alley.

There's no reason for me to be Pro-Brunswick, I think their website was just more appealing and easier to navigate when I bought my first ball, the Slingshot.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#162293 - 02/06/12 08:55 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
tenpin09 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 16/male/Chicago, IL
First time poster, so I figured it would be better to ask this question in here rather than creating a brand new thread. As of right now, the balls I own are the Cherry Vibe and the Victory Road (and a spare ball, of course, but it doesn't really matter to the situation lol). I'm looking to add to my arsenal, and I desperately need something that will give me more hook on a freshly oiled lane. I can either get the DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge AND Misfit (the Misfit is thrown in with the Hell Raiser Revenge at my local Pro Shop), OR any other ball (most likely the Modern Marvel). I guess my main question is, what do all you guys recommend? It appears as if the Victory Road and the Misfit are very similar, will the Misfit offer anything that the Victory Road doesn't? Which do you think will serve a tweener better, the Hell Raiser Revenge or the Modern Marvel?

#162296 - 02/06/12 09:43 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
dgordon0408 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
actually the misfit is supposed to be a weaker ball but i feel it starts up earlier than the victory road as most entry level balls do, i think that the hell raiser revenge would be a good fit, and i think that the misfit could go under your vroad and above your cherry vibe, i think by changing drillings you could have a pretty good arsenal, what you could do is mess with the surfaces and drillings to get a very complete arsenal, i think you would be set, i think you should eventually get a ball above the vroad but below the revenge, maybe the modern marvel or even a marvel solid, i think that would give you a very complete arsenal
Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

#162620 - 02/11/12 09:37 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: dgordon0408]
tenpin09 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 16/male/Chicago, IL
Thanks for the input. My friend hooked me up with a free Hell Raiser that I'm gonna try out. Excited to see how it rolls for me. It will certainly help with my decision.

#166873 - 05/14/12 02:22 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
chowder Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 19 male lima ohio
my arsenal is.. nexxus purple, game change, sigma hybrid, frantic, hyroad, qz1, recon, then spare ball... is this a good arsenal?

#166893 - 05/14/12 10:46 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: chowder]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, you have bowling ball overload. For me, the Nexxus is fine at the top for heavy oil. The Game Change and the Sigma Hybrid cover the exact same oil condition. To me, carrying 8 balls around all the time is way too much. Just not necessary. I would get leave one of those at home. The Frantic and the Hyroad cover the exact same condition. They almost have the exact same specs. Leave one at home. For League I would go like this

Nexxus
Frantic
QZ1
Spare

Tourny
Nexxus
Sigma Hybrid
Frantic
QZ1
Recon
Spare

I don't think there is ever a need for more than 4 balls during league. Learn to play more than one line. Be able to play inside or outside and there is little need for 8 balls during league. I never used more than 2 balls during a typical league night, not counting my spare ball. I would use one ball until I thought I couldn't score effectively with it anymore, no matter where I played it on the lanes. If the only issue is carry, I can change that myself. The only concern I have is hitting the pocket. If I can hit the pocket on a regular basis then I can strike. I just have to find the right angle of entry. Usually I use one ball for the whole night. I usually start with the strongest ball I can use on a particular night and shell down if necessary.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#168578 - 07/08/12 10:43 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
cole Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27/male/ohio
i have trouble on building an arsenal i have the roto grip defiant and critical theory and a storm frantic thanks

#168582 - 07/09/12 05:44 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: cole]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
That seems like a fairly decent arsenal for just starting out. Judging from the videos you posted, I think you would be better off spending your money on lessons than more equipment. Find a good coach in your area and start working on your game. Post back if you have specific questions.

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 0 seconds ago
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.