BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166549 - 05/01/12 07:33 PM Quick Improvement Needed
SkyBowler Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 18
Hey, this is Rachel's bowling form and she needs some help and any advice that could improve her scores. She is trying to earn a spot to bowl in the Junior Gold Tournament and there are only one or two more chances for her to qualify. So any help would be really appreciated.
In the video it shows some basic shots with a slow motion, then a shot where she pushes the ball to the left side during pushaway in order to create and in-and-out swing when the ball is on the downswing.
Some things that I notice is that she does drift pretty far to the left, and I know that's okay if it is consistent but it might be causing the ball to be far from the ankle at release. Also, it looks like she might be pushing the ball too far to the right in the pushaway, which could be causing the drift to the left. The main problem she has is ball speed, she needs to increase it, because the ball rolls out too soon and loses all energy. Even with a pocket hit she will still leave splits and 5 pins. She has tried many things to increase her ball speed such as higher ball start and faster steps, but can't seem to find a good solution.
Anyways, besides those things above, critique anything at all that you see that could have improvement and maybe a proper method to do so. Thanks a lot.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#166551 - 05/01/12 08:34 PM Re: Quick Improvement Needed [Re: SkyBowler]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Originally Posted By: SkyBowler
The main problem she has is ball speed, she needs to increase it, because the ball rolls out too soon and loses all energy. Even with a pocket hit she will still leave splits and 5 pins. She has tried many things to increase her ball speed such as higher ball start and faster steps, but can't seem to find a good solution.

It looks to me like she may be holding the pushaway just a little. Trying a Hinged pushaway technique might be worth considering. It would hold the elbow in tight and could improve her accuracy. With this hinged pushaway it would get the ball moving quicker and should give her a bit more ball speed.

Check out the thread "Analysis of the modern 10Pin Bowling Swing/Release", there is a great video at the start of it that shows this really well.

Edited by metguy (05/01/12 08:39 PM)

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#166558 - 05/01/12 10:15 PM Re: Quick Improvement Needed [Re: SkyBowler]
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
There's something else that comes to mind, though it's hard to tell if I'm on the right path because the video cuts off her shot as soon as the ball its the lane. But it seems that she isn't staying in her shot and posting her finish. It's a big deal what concentrating on a strong finish position does to your entire bowling form.

On the third shot, she's way off balance and falls off the shot. That's not going to happen if she focuses on finishing well.

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

#166561 - 05/01/12 10:56 PM Re: Quick Improvement Needed [Re: SkyBowler]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
She's also not sliding, and plants about a foot or more away from the foual line. This will cause a lack of leverage and power, and can keep ball speed down.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#166564 - 05/02/12 12:36 AM Re: Quick Improvement Needed [Re: champ]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Agree on the pushaway... pushing it way out is making her timing a bit late. Also, when you do that, it makes for a more "forward and back" swing, which means you tend to want to pull the swing through... instead of just letting it flow.

The drift to the left happens on the last step. That means one of two things is gonna happen... either the ball ends up too far away from the slide foot, and pulls her off balance. Or, she corrects it in the swing. Either way, the swing isn't fluid, and ball speed will suffer.

I would have her reduce the pushaway, to get the ball into the swing sooner. And I would have her speed up her footwork a bit... namely the third step. Instead of 1-2-3-4.... have her think 1-2 3-4. Another way to think about that is to let the ball swing freely on it's own, and adjust your steps to the swing. Those are two fairly easy things to try....I think she'll find her ball speed and balance will improve.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#166567 - 05/02/12 05:12 AM Re: Quick Improvement Needed [Re: SkyBowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Here is what I see:

From behind, she is stepping away from the ball at the release, this is causing her to lose balance and leverage. To correct this, she needs to step back toward her target.

She doesn't slide, this is an indication she might need to get a pair of right handed bowling shoes to give her a more confident feel going into the slide.

From the side:

She is starting the ball before she takes her first step, and it is so slow that it causes her to be a step late. If you go to 32 seconds and watch from the beginning of the side video and then pause it at 37 seconds, when she completes her second step, that is where the ball is supposed to be after her first step, so it has taken her two steps to get the ball where it should be after the first step. This is causing the ball to swing back as her right foot is coming forward which makes the ball bump out away from her body to avoid hitting her self in the leg with the ball. If her right foot was where her left foot is at 37 seconds, she would be fine.

If you pause at 38 seconds you can see her go heel first into the finish position, this is killing her slide, have her learn to go toe first into the slide, again right handed bowling shoes will help her get a stable feel in order to maintain balance, I can't stress enough how important good bowling shoes are, this is the quickest fix to any of these problems by the way, the rest will take time and a good coach.

Have her watch the Brian Voss video, it will help with the rest.

Feel free to post more video and ask as many questions as you like. Good Luck

#166571 - 05/02/12 08:40 AM Re: Quick Improvement Needed [Re: SkyBowler]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
That was a GREAT video....

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#166585 - 05/02/12 03:55 PM Re: Quick Improvement Needed [Re: SkyBowler]
Time-To-Roll Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: female, Port Angeles Wa. right...
This is my take on the video,based on my experience
in practice.
What I suggest is to step across further in front of
left foot. Like walking a tight rope. At almost same time
start ball out and down,like more of a hinge.
The feel for me is like stepping to left but moving ball
to right.I want the ball right over my ball path,as it drops into swing.The cross step clears your ball path for a straight
swing. Keep your right eye on your target at the line,through
the approach.Your shoulder will drop as your ball falls into
swing.This will help to keep swing under your chin.
Try moving up on the approach and holding ball waist high.

Practic playing close to the gutter, 5 board ect.

Nice to see a woman bowler on this forum. By the
way. Rachel, we both have those long lean legs. laugh

#166625 - 05/03/12 11:09 PM Re: Quick Improvement Needed [Re: SkyBowler]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
she's leaving splits and 5 pins because she is playing too far inside, IMO. Her ball is to much in the oil.

I think her balls speed is NOT the biggest issue. Rather she does not plant and finish her shot. By making her think this, she is increasing her foot pace which contributes to the out of time and the off balance. Have her maintain her balance in that finish position. And she has to think about that at least at the second to last step. That step should be shorter so she can set herself up for balance at the line.

Have her also line up her feet, and then match that line up at the foul line so that she can fix her drift. Get her to walk a bit straighter and put that slide foot under her chin, not her left shoulder.

She's 85% of the way there compared to most women bowlers I see. So I think only some tweaking and she's going to see some pretty good improvement in score. But she has to post that finish.

ERin

#166633 - 05/04/12 02:12 PM Re: Quick Improvement Needed [Re: SkyBowler]
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
What Erin said is spot on, and it's sort of what I was getting at in my earlier post.

Posting your shot at the finish is SO important. It can't be stressed enough. Of course some people are going to think "I can post my shot or I can do a cartwheel after I release it, it's not going to impact my ball's path." And technically they are correct. Once the ball is traveling down the lane, nothing you do is going to change the shot. I see some bowlers try to make their ball hook by waving at it like a traffic cop--it doesn't work, it just looks silly when someone does it.

BUT...

The importance of posting your finish does impact your success or failure, for a number of reasons:

1) To post your finish properly, you need to do everything leading up to that point at least relatively correct. Can you post your shot if you have happy feet, wrap the ball around your back and then swing it away from you, and are falling off to your right at your release point? Not likely. Look at it in reverse. To post my finish, I need a good follow through. In order to have a good follow through, my swing has to be straight. To maintain a straight swing, I have to swing outside my hips. To swing outside my hips, I need to have a good pushaway and first step. To do all of these things, I need good body balance throughout as well as good timing. Get the value of posting your finish ingrained in your brain so you do it every single time.

2) When you post your finish, the last thing you can do is you can then look down at your slide foot and see where it ends up, and compare it to where you started. You THINK Rachel drifts? (She does) But how do you KNOW this, or how much? Guesswork? You can't compensate for guesses. Granted it can be noticed when you videotape her, but when she's bowling the tournament, she isn't going to have that luxury. So teach her to post her finish and then read her feet.

3) When you post your finish, you're in a position to read your ball's path down the lane, through the primary target, to the secondary target, to the breakpoint, to seeing the hook. It contributes to analysis and learning. You aren't learning anything about your shot if you release the ball then pivot and start walking back before the ball strikes the pins. (It's outrageous how many bowlers, after a perfect pocket crusher, can't tell you what they hit or where the ball broke. How can one repeat a shot when they have no clue what they did the first time?) This is important because once you've gotten past the fundamentals, bowling is a sport of about 1,000 nuances, particularly when you're talking about Junior Gold or other tournaments which aren't contested on walled-up house patterns. You need to learn to read the lanes and your ball, so give yourself a chance to watch 60 feet of motion.

And I'm in full agreement with Erin that the ball speed isn't why Rachel is leaving 5 pins or splits on pocket shots. Carrying the 5 is the result of an entry angle where the ball drives through the pocket to the 5. Flat shots are what leaves 5's, 5-10's, etc.. And flat shots are usually the result when you play too deep in the oil unless you have super revs. (Belmo, Osku, and Sean Rash can play in the oil...that doesn't mean that everybody can do it.) I know it's not something you can "control" but try to conceptualize your ball's finish. Your target is NOT the 1-3 pocket! It's the right half of the 5 pin! (I can throw the ball straight up the 17.5 board and hit the 1-3 pocket all day long--and never strike. Get my point?) Leaving a sole 5 pin is not a good shot, it's a "hit 9 get 9" shot. And when a corner pin decides to stand up along with the 5, now you're looking at opens.

So...tell Rachel to post her finish and play a part of the lane that's going to let her ball drive/hook THROUGH (not TO) the pocket and steamroll that pesky 5 pin!

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.