BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16651 - 11/28/01 12:39 AM women bowlers, esp. those w/ hips, pls r/o (long)...
jl Offline
Bumper Bowler

have you you adjusted your initial stance, backswing and delivery from the (male) "norm" to accommodate a woman's proportionately larger hips? if so, how? if not, how do you manage?

at the line, i naturally position myself at an angle, left side of body forward, right side back. this allows me (a right-hander) a straighter backswing and release. from what i can see on TV, some pwba women appear to do the same thing.

but my male coach insists i stand "straight", both sides of the body in line. this forces me to arc the ball -- the problem he's trying to prevent.

i think he just doesn't get it. your thoughts?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16652 - 12/04/01 07:02 AM Re: women bowlers, esp. those w/ hips, pls r/o (long)...
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
jl,

Rather than come right out and disagree with a coach, I'll explain how I set up my students...

I have them align the foot opposite from the ball-side along the board they chose for the approach start (actually I have them align the left edge of the shoe sole with the crack of the board they have selected.) The ball side foot is then placed back, about half the distance of the lead foot and slightly away from it. I also allow them to rotate in the ball-side direction.

I do this for several reasons:
1. This makes for a very stable stance.
2. Sliding the ball-side foot back and in an open position is conducive to slightly opening the hips and shoulders. By pulling the ball in close to the body, the center of gravity is in the middle of a triangle formed by the ball and both feet. A very stable position that minimizes muscle tension.

As far as clearing the hips? If you are a four step approach bowler with near-zero timing, the ball should pass the hips early in the second step (third step for a five-step approach). There's not much you can do with hip rotation with the weight on the ball-side foot and ball passing by (other than dip the ball-side shoulder, which many players do just that). Watch the path of the ball traveling back with some of the 'standing tall' tour players. The ball is headed away from the hips as it heads into the backswing. It's not much of a movement away from the body, but it's enough to clear hips. At the height of the backswing, the ball shifts in toward the bowler and it travels in a straight path as the ball-side foot kicks hard left to clear the lower body.

I'm rambling again....
:rolleyes:

I hope this helps,

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.