BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16583 - 10/01/01 03:40 PM Up and down like a yoyo.......
savage Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 30/m/Zutphen Holland
Hi everyone,

I'm a bowler from Holland and I have an average of 198. Last weekend I have played the five men competition and what happend wasn't very good. I started in the team for the first game and scored a 145 game...... A reason for the coach to replace me, understandeble. I worked on the free lanes to search for my line.. And after the break and oiling pauze I returned in the team, and with succses, had found my line and scored a 212.... But the game after I bowled a 133... How is it possible that you bowl a 212 and bowled a good line, and than bowl a 133..... Is it nerves or trust, do you regocnize this and how do you handle with this kind of problems, maybe i can learn something of the reactions..... I bowl with my team at the highest level of our country and i have worked very hard to reach this, i don't want to fall out of the leaque with my team....... HELP!!!!! frown

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16584 - 10/02/01 07:27 AM Re: Up and down like a yoyo.......
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
Savage,

It sounds like you're stress level begins to elevate resulting in an 'avalanche affect' of your frustration (and score) as you try to get your game back.

What are you thinking when your struggling begins? Are you tensing up your body in a effort to recover(Trying harder)? Do you do anything to relieve stress (non violent :rolleyes: ) between frames?

A proficient bowler must rely predominantly on muscle memory to be consistent in their delivery. It only takes a thought to interrupt that muscle memory requiring your conscious mind to control your delivery.

Fred Borden, Team USA Head Coach said it best: "Quiet the Mind, Trust the Body".

#16585 - 10/02/01 06:10 PM Re: Up and down like a yoyo.......
savage Offline
Bantam

Hai Coachrich,

Thank you for reacting on my call for help.... It's usefull information... Only now I have to know what kind of exercise can help me to relax. Do you know any books or sites where I can find that information?? Or do you have usefull tips?? And yes you are right, I feel I always try to do my best harder and that puts on the pressure more...
Than i'm not finishing my swing, than the speed goes out of the shot and the result is a nose ball or worse... And than the pressure builds.... But what you say about the body I regocnize that, Its like cramp,(I Don't know if thats a good english word) Th oily machine is becoming a rusty one and the day after I can feel the pain of muscles everywhere. But it is something of the last time. A year ago I debuted in the team, and the pressure only was there for the first two frames, afterwards it only became better.
Sometimes when it goes bad I try to think at times I played very well,and try to remember how I felt at that time.... But thats mentally the only thing i try during the game.....
confused confused confused

#16586 - 10/03/01 06:37 AM Re: Up and down like a yoyo.......
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Savage,

You said it! The key! Bring back the FEELING of your succesfull games or frames. Bring back that feeling before you start bowling.

I once worked with an athlete that was bowling in a 3 day tournament. Although his average was in the 170's, he started a 4 game block with a game in the 240's. I told him to bring back the FEELING of his successful shots (comfortable in his stance, balanced at the finish, hitting his mark, feeling in control, etc.) He continued to bowl 200+ for several more games. Each time I told him to imagine the feeling he experienced in the previous games. At one time, I sat him in the settee where he bowled that first successful game to help him imagine how he felt. Imagery works!

Now, to handle stress, I suggest you use diaphramatic breathing. As you breath in, your diaphram (located below the lungs) needs to expand to create a vacum in your thorasic cavity (chest area). As a result, your abdomen (stomach area) should protude as you take a deep breath. That ensures that you get a full volume of air into the lungs. Conversely, your abdomen should move in as you breath out. When this is done gently...breathing in through the nose, out through the mouth...it has a very relaxing effect and should help you control your stress level.

Another tip: try taking one of those deep breaths before you start your approach (as part of your pre-shot routine). The added oxygen in your bloodstream can only help.

Remember: the better you imagine your successes, the more likey you will be able to duplicate them. In your mind, you can always bowl a 300 game.

Rich

#16587 - 10/03/01 01:18 PM Re: Up and down like a yoyo.......
Auzz Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 26/M/The Netherlands
Well I cannot give anymore advise then the excellent advise Coachrich gave you.. I have the same problem and I will try his help too.

What I wanted to say is don't worry about falling out of the team. If you started the competiotion as one of the 5 players, the trust from the coach in you is there.

Good luck,

Auzz

#16588 - 10/04/01 08:07 PM Re: Up and down like a yoyo.......
savage Offline
Bantam

Thanks for the advice coachrich, i have spoken to my coach/trainer about the things you wrote. And he agreed about your advice.
By the way, my coach knows Fred Borden , he has worked with him while he was training the Dutch National Women Team. So that was funny, that you quoted an advice of this trainer...... This week i've tried to use your tips in training and I think it will help me.... This weekend I play a Mastertournament here in Holland, so I will tell you about it after the weekend , how it went of you are intrested.... Thanks again !!
And Auzz also thanks for the nice words!!!
smile smile

#16589 - 10/05/01 06:28 AM Re: Up and down like a yoyo.......
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Savge,

I would definitely be interested in hearing all the details of your successful particpation in the Mastertournament this weekend.

Good bowling,

Coachrich

#16590 - 10/11/01 07:41 PM Re: Up and down like a yoyo.......
savage Offline
Bantam

Hi Coachrich,

Last weekends tournament went very well in a way. I scored my worst tournament of the year, but I discovered something important.
The laneconditions were very difficult, the lane snapped very hard and the ball rolled very early, but it also wasn't reliable. Sometimes it skitted when you didn't expect it.The first game was a low 190.The second was a 200, but than the problems came.Split after split after split, I changed lines but it didn't help. I struggled for 3 games which resulted in 2 times 130 and a 160. Away was the tournament..... BUT.... Than it didn't matter anymore and I cranked my arm and powered the ball from the inside to the outside with high speed... Than it flipped and came hard to the pocket... result... 6 in a row than two misshits but it was a 230.
This week I thought alot about this last game.And I realised that the game I was playing for the last 3 weeks wasn't really my game anymore... So I powered up my style and...... I was scoring again , tuesday at training I discovered this, I talked with my trainer and I said : Somethings you have to experience to know what I mean... So I think that I am beginning to clim out of the dip I was in... Also thanks to you because you made me think about my game and mental condition and brought me with myself and my trainer back on track. This evening I bowled a 277 at training,only the 9th frame would not cooparate.(A Nose ball). Now I feel confident again and know that it's possible to level up my game when I work hard and think about the things that are so important in our sport.........

Lots of thanks.. and hope that you can advice me again when I have a question or problem.

Savage..... smile laugh

#16591 - 10/12/01 06:14 AM Re: Up and down like a yoyo.......
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Savage,

I'm sorry to read about your struggles, but happy you recovered. We should learn from our low scores more than from those in which we excel.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.