BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16580 - 09/26/01 11:56 AM What does it take?
nibbsbitt Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 24 / m / NY
Hi, I have been bowling off and on since I was six years old, my father is a 220 average even now in his fifties and his father was a great bowler and his father's father so bowling is ingrained in our family history. I was bowling all year round consistently until I was 22, I always finished leagues in the low 200's average wise. I stopped bowling for a year and a half and just got back into it this summer, I finished out at 198 and that was struggling. I am 24 now and I am really into bowling again, I am a self imployed web site designer and work at home so I have as much time as I need to practice and such. I have just bought 6 new balls in the course of the last week because I really love the sport and want to excel. My main point of this post is this, ever since I have been bowling every time I bowl I have people from all over the place, people from other teams other lanes, house owners coming up to me telling me what a beautiful ball i throw and I really should try to be a pro, I know it sounds like I am bragging but I'm not, it's the truth. Every time I throw a strike I got 10 or 15 people slapping my hand. The reason I think I never got into the upper two's was because of my attitude, I had a terrible temper until I was about 22 when I had the front 11 on a league night and I left a stone ten on the final shot, I absolutely lost it, throwing stuff screaming punching things, yes I was one of those idiots. Now I am much more mature and I never lose my temper over anything anymore, it does nothing but hinder performance. SO now I am back into full blown leagues, I struggled for the first 3 weeks and was averaging 193 but everyone knew it was only a matter of time before I got my timing back and last night I shot 753 with my new Tour Hammer Offset, man I left ONE ten pin the whole night and that was a surprise!! God, I have never felt that good about anything in my life, I truly adore the sport of bowling. But my question is what does it take to be a pro? When do you make that decision to go for it, how do you judge if you have a chnace of being tour material?? Many people frown on the sport of bowlig and put it down but hey, when you walk into a house on a tournament night, it's hard to believe that anyone could say those things. Is 24 too old to start thinking about becoming a pro?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16581 - 09/29/01 09:42 AM Re: What does it take?
pinqueen2000 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Johnson City TN
Hi,

If you meet the criteria to go pro then do it!! The women have to carry a 200 average for two years etc. to go pro. Find out by visiting the ABC web site. Good luck and good bowling....Lyn smile

#16582 - 09/29/01 06:20 PM Re: What does it take?
mbelanger Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Round Rock, TX
umm, actually the PWBA requires 180 for regional membership and 190 for national membership (as per the official site). I do believe the PBA is still requiring 200.

But to the original question of how do you know...only you can really gauge that. I would suggest entering local scratch events to see how you fare as well as entering the regional events that are close enough to manage. Only then will you know how much game you have to bring to the table... Oh, and no 24 is not too old in this sport...

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.