BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16573 - 09/10/01 07:41 PM Inconsistancy
LeftysRule Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 33/male/Lancaster,CA.
I have just started bowling again and have noticed how inconsistant I am at hitting my mark. I am a left handed bowler with a hook of about 10-12. My mark is usually 7-9 board or just inside second arrow.I was out for a long time due to knee surgerys, 3 total in 2 years. My back swing is a little over waist high and I tend to have a bent arm instead of a straight back swing. Any tips out there would be helpful. :rolleyes:

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16574 - 09/11/01 07:00 AM Re: Inconsistancy
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
Leftys,

It sounds like you have a ball fit problem. I have several reasons for that guess:

Most of the bowlers that I've coached for the first time that cannot hit their target have an improper ball fit. They also can not hold their position at the line after the finsh. Do you feel off-balance to the left-right or front-back at the foul line?

The bent arm together with the targeting problem also lead me to beleive you are gripping the ball too much. The muscles in the bowling arm become very inflexible when the ball is squeezed. Instead of a free arm swing, the ball is carried into the backswing, then pushed forward into the release. Again, a problem fit can cause squeezing.

Let me add this note...not everyone that squeezes the ball has a bad fit. As young bowlers, we used house balls until we or our parents decided to purchase personal equipment. (And then...heaven forbid...the new equipment was fit by the same person that hands out ammo and fishing licenses at the Wal_Mart sporting goods department.) During those early years, we HAD to squeeze the ball to make a delivery. We have that squeezing habit engrained into our musclle memory and it takes a conscious effort to "let go" and use a free swing.

#16575 - 09/12/01 05:58 PM Re: Inconsistancy
LeftysRule Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks coachrich,
I do step to the left everytime I finish my plant with my right leg. It might be because I tend to favor my left leg because of my past surgery. I do grip my ball quite a bit on my downswing, but as for the ballfit it is very good. I have had the Pro Shop fit them and they are all close to eachother. My main ball is an Ebonite Red Wolf which is slightly polished because we have dry lanes. My spare ball is a Polished Storm Centenial which is close to a Tropical Storm. What should I do about my bent arm on my swing. Should I go back to the drawing board? My House is a pretty hard shot and has little give for missed marks. I either hit 2 pin or high through the nose almost center or Brooklyn. Give me your thoughts. confused

#16576 - 09/13/01 07:06 AM Re: Inconsistancy
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
Leftys,

First, you need to be sure that your stepping left at the finish is due to your surgery and not a problem with balance. Loosing you balance at the finish is a prime cause for inconsistent delivery and target accuray problems. Try to hold your finish position. If you feel pain or a weakness I would guess the problem is from the surgery. If not, you need to work on your balance.

Frequently, bowlers do not provide enough 'counter balance' to the opposite side of their body at the finish to compensate for the centrifical force of the ball trying to pull them over. I encourage the bowlers to get their ball-side foot (in your case, the left foot) over to the opposite side and low at the finish. If possible, I have them keep that foot in contact with the approach (or at least keep the toe in contact). That left-foot-down-and-around action can give you a good feeling of stability at the finish.

I have several ideas for the bent left arm. You can try standing up-right and swing the ball casually to get the feeling of keeping that arm straighter. Unfortunately, this will also encourage gripping the ball since there is no real forward momentum to keep the ball in you palm.

You could also try increasing your swing speed through a higher backswing. I will probably get chastized for this, but increasing your swing speed through a NATURAL armswing can be very effective in creating a free swing.

Your right arm is likely restricting your backswing. If your right arm is directly to your right side or slightly behind you, your left arm cannot swing back very far. (Try this: with your arms hanging straight at your sides, try pulling both of your arms back at the same time. You will find the swing is restricted. Now put your right arm straight forward from the shoulder and you will find that the left arm can rotate freely through 360 degrees). Have someone watch your right arm during your approach and note it's position.

Keep in mind that changing you armswing speed is a radical change in your physical game. Without the direct observation of a coach, you may find a new source of imbalance and loss of ball control!

Well, I've found my self rattling-on again.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

#16577 - 09/15/01 03:04 PM Re: Inconsistancy
LeftysRule Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks for your reply back. I will start taking notes when I bowl on my Friday Vegas League. I will have two people watch me when I bowl. Both have 195-200 avgs. I will prcatice this week on brining my right arm forward and getting a higher backswing. I will definitly have to adjust for this as my ball speed will increase as my hook decreases.
Last night I shot a miserable 133, then a 215 and then a 203. I wasn't concentrating very well on the first game and was trying to find my shot on both lanes. Thanks for for your info and I will let you know how my practice goes. wink 215203

#16578 - 09/26/01 12:24 PM Re: Inconsistancy
nibbsbitt Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 24 / m / NY
Hey lefty, I agree totally with Idaho's tips on balance and such, but I did notice you said you were just getting back into bowling again. One thing I as well as many pro's notice is that when they do not bowl for a prelonged period of time and they start up again they have a lot of problms with consistently hitting their mark etc. This all relates to timing just as in other sports such as baseball. Timing is the most crucial aspect of this game. Fundamentals such as approach timing can mess up your whole game, think of it : if you get to the line just a little different every shot then your release, follow through, lift, roll, speed and a host of other things are ALL going to be different every time as well. Now don't get me wrong NOONE can repeat the exact same shot every single time regardless of what other people tell you, but the margin of error in pro bowlers is greatly reduced to say yours or others. That is why their shots will seem the same each time. What I want you to take into consideration is if you adjust your game according to something that doesn't need fixing then you will probably worsen your overall gamne in the long run. Just as it would be if you judge a condition of a poorly executed shot, your next shot would suffer as well. Balance is a HUGE indication of poor timing. Ball fit, and leg position very well could be your problem I would have to see to make a certain judgement, but if you ask me I would say don't change anything just get out and practice, get your muscle memory back and your timing will come.. one night you will get your timing back and you will blast out of the gate, noticing that your shots are becoming more alike from game to game. I hope this helps! By the way, lefties are the anti-christ lol!! =)

#16579 - 09/27/01 02:00 PM Re: Inconsistancy
LeftysRule Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks for repyling nibbsbitt,

I am inconsistent when it comes to my timimg, I know that for a fact. Last Friday league. I shot 178-127-132. Is that nasty or what! the next day I practiced and shot 203-160-160-214. It might be pressure in bowling a huge league again or I am just psycing myself out when I am on the approach. It is a good idea of yours to just keep prcticing my timing for know. If I try to change too many things during league I just get lost!

It costs $$$ to get coaching but I probably will just so I can have someone critic my game for a little while. Then once I am told what needs to be adjusted I can make those on my own for a while and see if that works. Thanks and good luck. wink

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - 12/12/19 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.