BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165841 - 04/13/12 07:02 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Originally Posted By: slaterracing
Originally Posted By: VampyreBowler
This is the same reason i lost respect for WRW. He said about the same thing when he did a commercial of the PBA.

He must not think that any more. there are youtube videos out there showing him throwing 2 handed

Wonder if he has tossed horseshoes that way?
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#166611 - 05/03/12 11:14 AM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
ffemtreed Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/M/Wilmington NC
I don't agree with what Devaney believes, but good for him for speaking his mind instead of just trying to be politically correct. One small step in the right direction for our country.

hopefully Belmo doesn't sue him for hurt feelings and then have congress pass some dumb law to make it illegal in the future so no one else gets there butt hurt.

Radical Reax
Hammer Taboo
Motiv Primal
Columbia White Dot

#166977 - 05/18/12 07:54 AM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Just wondering whether Duke or Parker would have made that comment? Or Barnes? before the game? It says more of Defaney, than of the two handed style.. Its called class!

Some guys got it, some guys aint!!

This is not a first amendment thing here, its about showing respect to your opponent. The kind of stuff that I teach my kids as their basketball coach! They are 8 and 10yrs of age.. How old is Defaney..

I always think of Duke, little bloke, light weight, never gripes about others, just focuses on what he can do, and do consistantly, reasonable speed , straigher player.. But bloody brilliant bowler..No secret I am a massive Duke fan, as a bowler and as a stand up kind of guy.. Massive respect... The bloke drips class!! Defaney could do worse modelling himself after this guy.

Additional, Belmo is a lot tougher than he looks, so it'll be water off a ducks back, u don't put up with sh*t from everybody for over 20yrs, win numerous titles all across the globe, and not develop a thick skin..

#166990 - 05/18/12 02:20 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Those guys talk enough trash to each other that none of that really bothers any of them. It bothers the fans more than the bowlers themselves. Look how long this thread has been going on- when was the last time Mike Devaney was the topic of discussion for this long? Ummm, never. There really is no such thing as bad press.

Bowl up a Storm!

#166997 - 05/18/12 07:00 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I don't know if Devaney invented the "flick o' the wrist" release, but I don't remember seeing anyone doing it before he did.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#167000 - 05/18/12 07:58 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
As I told one of my new teammates on WEd. we were bowling next to a two handed bowler. "I love two handed bowlers". He asked me why, I said "They are beatable".

With only two bowlers in the world that have done anything constructive with this method, the bowling newbies have grabbed onto the technique for the instant revs. But it is, like the thumbless bowlers, very hard to control.

So do I care if someone wants to bowl two handed? Nope. Give it your best shot. But when I'm 50 (oh yeah....I am 50!!!) I'm still bowling at a duece pace. My back isn't messed up, my elbow, my shoulder......

USBC talks about bringing more and more youth into this sport. And then they glorify the two handed technique, which is going to be pretty hard to do after your 40 or so years old. So they are eliminating long term participants, IMO.

I just hope there is a future for bowling period. But I do not think it is in the two handed delivery technique.

ERin

#167004 - 05/19/12 12:48 AM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Fair comment there Erin, it's true the 2 handed approach is very much untested in terms of longevity... As we age, we naturally slow down, might be ok up to a certain point/age, but to be bowling when u are 70 and beyond, and still scoring well might be a stretch.. So the reality sets in of finding a "stress" free delivery.. I don't want to be mid 60's and having to re learn how to bowl one handed, so I will be in the future practise throwing one handed as well when I can get a spare couple of balls to fool around with .

Just read some of Dennis' posts re the age of his Sun morning bowling mates, not to mention their ability!! Gets me thinking!!

The glorification of the 2 hander technique might be a short term stimulus for the game, and that can only be a good thing.. I have seen more thumbless bowlers over last few years than ever before, sadly all of them are sprayers, but if they stick at it then they will hopefully improve.

Wish I had myself a crystal ball to look ahead and see Osku,Belmo and the like 30yrs from now... I know Mike Miller one handed thumbless 90's had shoulder or elbow injuries supposedly forcing him off the tour?! Thumbless or 2 handed does place more strain on body than one handed traditional bowling..

Each to their own at the end of the day.

#167080 - 05/21/12 12:01 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
The 2 handers, Belmo in particular, are getting youth interested in the sport, in much the same way Tiger Woods did for golf 15-16 years ago. These same kids will eventually have to relearn how to bowl one handed at some point, but it may be after bowling for 20 years, and will then figure out a way to keep bowling. The human body is not made to withstand the pure power that it takes to drive a golf ball like Tiger, or throw a bowling ball like Belmo for a long period of time. It's the same reason baseball players all start to decline in their mid to late 30s (steroid-free ones of course). You just won't see as many 45 year old touring pros as we have today for awhile.

Bowl up a Storm!

#167427 - 06/01/12 09:52 AM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
cgrimes Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 11/M/Kansas City, MO
Yesterday at the start of my 12-19 year old league, we were bowling against this really annoying team. They were all 2 handing. After that, when I set my average at 168 and they set theirs at about 110, my Dad said that it really highlights the fact that I know what I'm doing and they don't. I hate it when people screw around 2 handing. Then people assume that all 2 handers are just doing it for fun or they aren't serious.
Storm Tropical Breeze
Storm Tropical Storm
High Game: 278
High Series: 654
House Average: 186
Sport Average: 155
Virtual League Average: 199 smile

#167439 - 06/01/12 04:07 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: cgrimes]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: cgrimes
Yesterday at the start of my 12-19 year old league, we were bowling against this really annoying team. They were all 2 handing. After that, when I set my average at 168 and they set theirs at about 110....

Smart team! Now they'll win by huge margins for several weeks.
And it's all legal, although hardly ethical.

I've found that those who get ahead most in life usually disregard ethics but know the law to a gnat's eyelash and make good use of that knowledge to gain advantage.

But I never descended to their level, so that's why I'm still working at 65. ha ha. not funny....
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.