BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165646 - 04/10/12 05:52 AM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: looseleftie]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
DeVaney got what was coming!
You can say what you want, but if it makes you look like a fool you better think twice laugh
To be honest, Belmos Style is much more fluent than DeVaneys ripping and gripping.

I throw it the traditional way, but I still respect Belmos way.
Dont know if the Duke got it right, but I'd very much like to see, that you just trade something for something else (e.g. accurency for speed) and hope the two handed style wont replace the traditional way, but rather add another tool to the box.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#165654 - 04/10/12 11:27 AM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: slaterracing
You know I was OK with with either of them winning after that 2nd match and then he talked and I was turned off as well. Who is to say 1 way is the wrong way. That is like saying when you are hitting in baseball that you can only bat right handed because the majority of the population is right handed. Just seemed like his comments could have hurt the sport in some way and right now bowling needs all the help it can get.

It's not a good comparison. R vs. L doesn't change the bio-mechanics of the baseball swing. Two-handed bowling significantly changes the bio-mechanics of the swing.

Better might be the traditional putter vs. the long putter - I personally think the long putter is hugely unfair (even though I guess percentages aren't dissimilar) because it's such a different mechanic.

This is NOT to say I'm against 2-handed bowling. I don't care - just get the flippin ball down the lane and knock down pins. laugh

But it's significantly different than Roth's taking existing equipment, back in the day, and figuring out how to put more revs on the ball to gain a more beneficial entry angle and deflection. Again, that didn't significantly change the bio-mechanics of the swing.

Again, I'm ONLY talking about the comparisons, NOT the method. laugh Throw what you brung. . .wait, thrung what ya brung? Throw what ya blow? Bah - doesn't come out right. LOL

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#165656 - 04/10/12 12:18 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
VampyreBowler Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 45/Male/Thurmont, MD
This is the same reason i lost respect for WRW. He said about the same thing when he did a commercial of the PBA.

#165658 - 04/10/12 12:25 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: VampyreBowler]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Originally Posted By: VampyreBowler
This is the same reason i lost respect for WRW. He said about the same thing when he did a commercial of the PBA.

He must not think that any more. there are youtube videos out there showing him throwing 2 handed
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#165767 - 04/12/12 04:26 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
You know what happens when you watch your opponent, and find yourself becoming impressed by what they're doing? You LOSE TO HIM! If that was Devaney's way of saying he was going to focus on his own game, then good for him. He's entitled to his opinion, and just because it's not the popular one, doesn't mean he has any less of a right to express it. I like watching Belmonte throw it, too, but I'll bet not everyone out there likes that he's the face of the PBA now. He has the chance to become the PBA's Tiger Woods, but that doesn't mean he won't encounter some resistance along the way. If you'll notice, there is still a large number of over 40 year old touring pros that grew up with plastic and urethane on wood, and their opinions aren't all warm and fuzzy.

Bowl up a Storm!

#165778 - 04/12/12 05:43 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
cgrimes Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 11/M/Kansas City, MO
I saw a video of WRWJ throwing it two handed. I don't think that's the best way for him to win. wink
Storm Tropical Breeze
Storm Tropical Storm
High Game: 278
High Series: 654
House Average: 186
Sport Average: 155
Virtual League Average: 199 smile

#165781 - 04/12/12 05:50 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: Fin09]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: Fin09
If that was Devaney's way of saying he was going to focus on his own game, then good for him. He's entitled to his opinion, and just because it's not the popular one, doesn't mean he has any less of a right to express it.

Can't argue with that, but he only said it to be an ass. And because he was only trying to be an ass, rather than a professional, I couldn't route him along anymore. He got what he deserved.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#165790 - 04/12/12 07:29 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I'm not against two-handers, but I can see how Belmonte et al would be seen by PBA veterans as the new guys, the different ones. Especially since the old hands have been pounding out a difficult living for several years and here comes this wise guy who bests them on any day of the week throwing it "the wrong way". Yeah, from DeVaney's point of view, Belmonte is an irritant. I don't think there's any animosity there.

I enjoyed DeVaney's comments, having grown up in New York. Was is a dig? Of course. Was it mean-spirited? You gotta be kidding. I prefer to remember his plan of attack "make 10 good shots." I was kind of surprised by that, since a game always has a minimum of 12 shots.

Unfortunately for me, my wife loves Belmo, since she didn't see the water bottle incident and he apparently looks cute....

BTW - if you took a composite of every shot Belmo threw whilst winning those 3 titles (camera shot as seen from the front), they would appear as one. The guy posts incredibly the same after each shot, and that is really impressive for a two-hander.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#165807 - 04/13/12 07:46 AM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Bottom line is it was a competition event. DeVaney was just doing some before the game trash talk.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#165809 - 04/13/12 08:37 AM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I actually didn't see the comment live- I DVR the telecasts and skip over the commercials and interviews, but since PDW set the bar for being an ass so high, yelling at an imaginary fan that no one else had a problem with, I can't imagine Devaney was up to anything other than gamesmanship.

Bowl up a Storm!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.