BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165608 - 04/09/12 02:31 PM DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo??
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
So what did everyone think of this comment:

""I won't be watching Belmo. (His two-handed technique) doesn’t impress me,” DeVaney said before the match. “I’m not interested. I don't care. I throw it the right way. I put my thumb in there the way I was taught and how everybody should throw it.""

I understand that there are people that dont like the 2 handed or thumbless bowling but dont get why there is almost hatred for the bowlers. I do not like or dislike the style. I know i cant do it but will never tell anyone that is successful that they are doing it "wrong" Just wondering what everyone else thght about the comment.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#165610 - 04/09/12 02:47 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Turned me off. I was routing for him til them. Justice was served...the "wrong" way won the check.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#165611 - 04/09/12 02:51 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
You know I was OK with with either of them winning after that 2nd match and then he talked and I was turned off as well. Who is to say 1 way is the wrong way. That is like saying when you are hitting in baseball that you can only bat right handed because the majority of the population is right handed. Just seemed like his comments could have hurt the sport in some way and right now bowling needs all the help it can get.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#165613 - 04/09/12 03:06 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I heard a story once about Belmo being berated by an opponent in matchplay for being two handed, so Belmo switched to one handed and won th matching 290 to 189. I think they talked about it on a telecast sometime last year.

Furthermore, what did the traditionalists have to say about Mark Roth when he hit the scene? And look at DeVaney, with his open hips, open shoulders, planted foot, so on...is any of that the right way?

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#165615 - 04/09/12 03:59 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: champ]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
Originally Posted By: champ
Furthermore, what did the traditionalists have to say about Mark Roth when he hit the scene? And look at DeVaney, with his open hips, open shoulders, planted foot, so on...is any of that the right way?

This is a good point to bring up, whenever something changes in this sport, the traditionalists will rage and rant against it until they exit the scene. I remember one Xtra Frame cast they had Roth on to commentate. Mike J brought up the question of the technology changing the sport, and Mark said something along the lines of "It's gone berserk, and ridiculous, these kids coming out today don't even have to try...etc etc". And I'm sure that's what Marks elders said when he was coming into bowling, and when the two handers get old and something new comes on the scene, I'm sure some of them will complain.

The bottom line is, Belmo, Osku, Valenta and crew have figured out a better way to knock down ten pins (with Belmo absolutely leading the pack).
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

#165625 - 04/09/12 06:11 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
cgrimes Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 11/M/Kansas City, MO
I was watching that, and I think he's absolutely stupid. He goes and runs his mouth, and then what happened? He got beaten. Don't run your mouth about other people or other styles. They can still beat you no matter what.
Storm Tropical Breeze
Storm Tropical Storm
High Game: 278
High Series: 654
House Average: 186
Sport Average: 155
Virtual League Average: 199 smile

#165627 - 04/09/12 06:26 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Just another old guard vs. new guard: who's style is better debate, the horse is dead it's body has been sent to the factory, leave it alone.

I thought what Duke said was more interesting in that he expects Belmo and other two handers to set records in the high scoring events, but struggle to make shows in the low scoring events. Only time will tell if he is correct. Also in the non-televised events Duke is doing really well, shame that those tournaments weren't televised (besides xtra frame). Was particularly surprised to not see the DW Playoff shown at all when it was 5 broadcasts last year. Hope they can line up some kind of big sponsor(s) next year and show live events from a variety of locations.

#165630 - 04/09/12 07:53 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: Kitten Latch]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Originally Posted By: Kitten Latch
Originally Posted By: champ

This is a good point to bring up, whenever something changes in this sport, the traditionalists will rage and rant against it until they exit the scene. I remember one Xtra Frame cast they had Roth on to commentate. Mike J brought up the question of the technology changing the sport, and Mark said something along the lines of "It's gone berserk, and ridiculous, these kids coming out today don't even have to try...etc etc". And I'm sure that's what Marks elders said when he was coming into bowling, and when the two handers get old and something new comes on the scene, I'm sure some of them will complain.

The bottom line is, Belmo, Osku, Valenta and crew have figured out a better way to knock down ten pins (with Belmo absolutely leading the pack).

Want further confirmation on this? Get and read the Phantom's (Len Nicholson) book "The Tour Would Be Great If You Didn't Have To Bowl."
Len did the lanes for the PBA for decades and ...ahem...has stories to tell. I won't retype them here...I found the book telling, and worth every penny.
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#165635 - 04/09/12 08:52 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
lebowski120669 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Kansas City
I disagree with DeVaney. Even though I don't care for Belmo much (with the two water bottle incidents) I have no problems with the two handed bowling style.

Ball Speed 17-17.5mph
Revs 360-380

RG Critical Theroy 16 2K
RG Mutant Cell Pearl 16 2K Polished
RG Mars 16 4K Polished
RG Grand Illusion 16 150 Grit
Hammer Big Blue Spare 15
Dexter SST8 White/Black

#165642 - 04/09/12 11:38 PM Re: DeVaney's Comments Before Title Match with Belmo?? [Re: slaterracing]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Jealousy or mind games me wonders!!

Either way, pretty ordinary behaviour from DeVaney....

There are so many ways to throw a bowling ball, with ALL of them having the same purpose, to knock down pins.. Do what u have to do to make it happen, and do it often!!

Look at golf swings, all swings are that little bit different from one golfer to another.. Tennis, different grips, one or two handed either backhands and rarely seen , but around forehands.

I throw 2 handed, and for me, it works, I had problems with thumb swelling during bowling when I was one handed, putting tape in and out, have a champaine thumb, anyway,ball slipping, or too tight after a few frames..Grrr.. Bowling 2 handed has kept me motivated to keep working at bowling...Med to strong one handed bowlers are faster and hook more than me, but u know, I don't care.. This style suits me better than any other out there..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.