BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16542 - 08/12/01 04:25 AM Return from injury/surgery
Bigdogoo1 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Oklahoma
Because of a industrial accident in Sept/2000, I had my left knee repaired in Nov. and first ankle surgery. Then had my second ankle surgery in June this year. Theropy is over, surgeon said to get on with life. Before accident I bowled three leagues a week, carring 205 - 215 for the last several years, including traveling leagues. I would like to get back to that level as quickly as possible. Does anyone have a few suggestions, or tips that I should use,ohter than the obvious; (practice)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16543 - 08/12/01 01:39 PM Re: Return from injury/surgery
Sheldon Offline

A/S/L: Grumpy Old Man / Northwest VT
You must ease back into bowling, a little at a time. Don't expect to bowl three leagues a week. Staart off by bowling a little before leagues get started just to test everything.
Don't even try to slide with a ball. Try your approach without a ball several times. Then try throwing a ball. You may want to consider getting a lighter ball assuming you have been using a 16lbs. ball. I would suggest that you go to a heavy 14 or light 15 depending on your ball speed. A lighter ball will not be as taxing on your body. I have seen several blowlers who have approached returning to bowling after sugery as though they were super athletes without easing back into it; only to cause major injuries to their bodies. So, go slow, paying close attention to your body, be prepared to alter yur style of bolwing if necessary and do not expect to be a 200 plus average bolwer overnight again. Good Luck, and be patient with yourself.

#16544 - 08/16/01 11:49 AM Re: Return from injury/surgery
motion2strike Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Huntington Beach, CA
I would hit the gym to make to get the rest of my body ready for bowling. Your ankle is not the only part not your body that had a break from bowling. Good Luck!!!

#16545 - 08/19/01 08:43 PM Re: Return from injury/surgery
Sheldon Offline

A/S/L: Grumpy Old Man / Northwest VT
I would not hit the gym as I know others who have done so only to re-injur themselves. Bowling is not as strenous as hitting the gym. Get going with bowling slowly, use a lighter ball to start with. Don't even throw the ball at first, just try your approach without any slide at all. Yes, just walk and through the ball. I have seen some people that have had knee surgery and get back into bowling without any problems at all; but they did it very slowly. I have also seen others who though they were stronger than humans are and they thought they would get up and bowl as they did before the surgery. Anyway these impatient ones have never bowled again; as they re-injured themselves and that was it.

#16546 - 08/24/01 11:24 PM Re: Return from injury/surgery
Bigdogoo1 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Oklahoma
Thank you Sheldon,
Did walk thru's as you suggested,didn't score well but that was not important, did however make shots without hurting myself.
Second & third trip; made easy shots down the lane, with full approach,a long slide, not alot of lift.
Forth & fifth trip ; shortened slide, lifted
for the swing, made pretty good shots, was very comfortable, but got fatigued by the third game. but that's just conditioning, and I know how to fix that.
So again thank you,
Dan

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.