BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165322 - 04/02/12 09:59 PM Refusal to bowl
Play it again, Sam Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: Phoenix
Last week our league (standard handicap league) had a team refuse to bowl. They handed an unsigned letter of explanation to the League Secretary (the President was out of town). The letter listed the names of the bowlers refusing to bowl, but was not signed by anyone. Basically what it said was that the reason the team was refusing to bowl was because of alleged unsportsmanlike conduct by a member of the team they refused to bowl. That member was named in the letter. The alleged incident had occurred the previous week. There had been a slur against one of the bowlers that was heard by several other bowlers. The perpetrator of the slur has had a history of unsportsmanlike conduct for many years, and had been suspended at one point several years ago.
My question is this: Who can give me the exact steps that the league must follow, after receiving the refusal to bowl notice the same night they were scheduled to bowl? What are the proper steps that should be taken by the league? There are no league rules that conflict, or override, USBC rules.

I understand the notion that the letter of explanation was just that and nothing more. No formal complaint was made.

What is the consensus about what, or what not, should occur?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#165325 - 04/02/12 11:47 PM Re: Refusal to bowl [Re: Play it again, Sam]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
well you have to have a league meeting of the officers (that includes the team captains).

Did the other team bowl? If so then I would guess that the team that refused to bowl would get a forfeit and therefore zero wins for that week. You can't just send a letter, no signatures, and nothing happens. The team that was there and bowled would have to bowl under forfeiture rules for the league.

There's absolutely no excuse for a team to not bowl without requesting a league meeting to make their issues known. Since they choose not to do that, what do they think is going to happen next week? Another letter? Or is it just that one team they refuse to bowl against? If its a team decision to not bowl against that team then they take the hit. Kind of childish, IMO. If the team they were to bowl against has stepped over the line in behavior then a league meeting needs to be called so they can be reprimanded and possibly fined. But of course such fines also need to be defined in your league rules.

Erin

#165330 - 04/03/12 05:21 AM Re: Refusal to bowl [Re: Play it again, Sam]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I have to agree with Erin on this one. An unsigned letter isn't a formal complaint and I'm not sure a signed one just for refusal to bowl would be a formal complaint either. All this team did was hurt themselves in the standings without having any perceived unsportsmanlike conduct addressed.
HS:763

#165334 - 04/03/12 09:20 AM Re: Refusal to bowl [Re: Play it again, Sam]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
So with Erin. Talk about childish. And dumb.

"Our team has written this letter of protest against the team we're bowling. We prefer to remain anonymous by not signing it, but here's the list of team members...you know, so you know what team it is."

Herp a derp.

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#165341 - 04/03/12 11:05 AM Re: Refusal to bowl [Re: Play it again, Sam]
Play it again, Sam Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: Phoenix
Thanks for the feedback. They are pretty much the way I feel, as well.
Now what, if any, punishment should be doled out by the league?

#165344 - 04/03/12 11:55 AM Re: Refusal to bowl [Re: Play it again, Sam]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
They should get the forfeits (which should be plenty of punishment) and then they should be instructed that their captain must call a meeting of the captains and directors and address the issue of unsportsmanlike behavior.

Let them know that you understand their sentiment and their issue, but strongly let them know that they need to go through proper channels.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#165354 - 04/03/12 03:18 PM Re: Refusal to bowl [Re: Play it again, Sam]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Just wondering why the team did not just make up as a team and post those scores. Then they would not have had to face the team/person they were having issues with but would not have lost all the points. Would there have been anything wrong with making up the week as a team?
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#165356 - 04/03/12 04:08 PM Re: Refusal to bowl [Re: Play it again, Sam]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You say there is no conflict between league rules and USBC. So, someone read te USBC rules. Then why didn't they follow the protest rules of USBC?

Kind of foolish to list the bowlers names and the team, but wish to remain anonymous. I don't get it.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#165363 - 04/03/12 06:17 PM Re: Refusal to bowl [Re: Play it again, Sam]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 31/M/AZ
I really don't see a big deal. They didn't want to bowl a team and forfeited the night. Move on to next week.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#165365 - 04/03/12 08:21 PM Re: Refusal to bowl [Re: Play it again, Sam]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
They may have had a gripe but they went about it wrong. I don't think that the league officers handled it right either. They should have had a quick meeting and brought the team with the petition in and spoken with them. Either way, done and over.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:48 AM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.