BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16527 - 07/26/01 09:29 PM Trouble in 10th
thehopeless_1 Offline
Junior Coach

I have a pretty solid game with a 180 average or so. But I always get to the tenth frame and blow it with a open frame which doesn't help me get to my goal of a 200 average. Any help in getting me through the tenth frame without a open frame will be most appreciated. Thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16528 - 07/27/01 02:56 PM Re: Trouble in 10th
motion2strike Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Huntington Beach, CA
Hi hopeless one;
If your thinking about missing in the tenth you more then likely will...I saw a show a couple of days ago which talked about the two sides of the brain...As I recall the left side, is the side that analizes things and the right side is physical, (I may have these backwards)When you are on the approach in the tenth frame you may simply be thinking to much, witch shuts down your physcial side. What seems to help is to take a deep breath and let it out just before you start your approach, what this does is jump starts your physical side and that's the part of the brain we want working as we execute our shot. Might be worth a try, it works for me on pressure shots. Good luck

#16529 - 07/29/01 05:29 PM Re: Trouble in 10th
pinqueen2000 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Johnson City TN
Dear Hopeless,

I would suggest that you subscribe to the Kegler's Connection and read the article on pre-shot routines. This is often an overlooked area, but, very important. Good luck and good bowling....Lyn smile

#16530 - 08/27/01 01:10 PM Re: Trouble in 10th
Sheldon Offline

A/S/L: Grumpy Old Man / Northwest VT
Bowling is a progressive sport, meaning that
people reach a hurdle which must be overcome in order to advance. In your case, it is not being able to stike in the tenth frame. First you must not think about not being able to strike in the tenth. You must think about it in a positive manner. You must throw the ball in the tenth in the same way that you have thrown it in order to strike.
In other words do not try to aim the ball.
Remain calm and get the balll into the pocket and you will begin to strike in the tenth. Ayyiyude is very important and once you have broken through a barrier you will no longer have that one as an a resistance point. The same thing happens with many people starting at 500, 600, or even 700 series. Good luck.

#16531 - 08/30/01 07:20 AM Re: Trouble in 10th
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
Hopeless,

I've just got to add my two cents since this is one of my favorite topics.

Motion2strike hit the first point you need to understand relative to the mind-body relationship "dead-on". What you're dealing with is that struggle between the conscious and subconscious mind to control your performance in bowling. The subconscious mind controls your "muscle memory". That is the physiological function that allows you to perform an approach without being required to concentrate on each and every muscle movement...similar to a proficient typist (that would not be me)that does not need to look at the keyboard while typing. How do the fingers find thos small targets on the keyboad so rapidly without the typist looking at his or her fingers? That is my best example of muscle memory.

Now that we have that understanding, how do we recall the muscle memory for bowling? This is where Pinqueen2000 nailed the key. By performing a repeated series of motions just prior to bowling (a pre-shot routine), you provide a "cue" to your sunconscious mind that it is about to recall the part of the brain controlling the neural pathways to perform the athletic motion of bowling. Establish a good pre-shot routine (include a deep breath).

So what's happening in the 10th frame? Muscle memory (the subconcious mind) is easily over-riden by the conscious mind...in essence, it takes just a mere thought to interfere with muscle memory requiring the conscious mind to control whatever part of your body you are concentrating on.

I could go on-and-on, but I think you've got enought ot think about. The best phrase I can advise you to recall in the 10th frame comes from the Team USA Head Coach, Fred Borden: "QUIET THE MIND, TRUST THE BODY". Then get through your pre-shot routine, take deep breath, focus on your target and go.

Sorry about being so verbose...I said it was my favorite bowling topic.

#16532 - 09/05/01 10:32 PM Re: Trouble in 10th
thehopeless_1 Offline
Junior Coach

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Since I post this message I have been able to start picking up spares and strikes in the tenth which helped me get up my average to a 200. I am now really looking forward to bowling in the league coming up a my center.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.