BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165068 - 03/28/12 12:18 AM Question on re-rating a bowler
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
My dad bowled his city tournament last week. He did very well, and was 3rd in singles and 6th in all events.

Last year was his first year bowling and he booked a 171. This year he is averaging 183. Several people have complained to the tournament director that my dad needed to be re-rated, and the director said he is going to go back and re-rate any bowler who is currently exceeding 10 pins over his book average.

My question is, what are the rules on re-rating a bowler a week after the tournament? If the rules say its fine, I guess that's the way it is, but it seems wrong to me to re-rate a bowler a week after the fact because people are whining.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#165070 - 03/28/12 12:59 AM Re: Question on re-rating a bowler [Re: champ]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I'm in 3 tournaments over the next few weeks. I checked the rules for each, and each says a bowler will be rerated if the current average is 10 pins higher then last year's book.

It's up to the tourny committee.

Check your tournament rules. Bet it says the same. In that case, the bowler should have presented that up front. The committee will then rerate that bowler.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#165075 - 03/28/12 01:59 AM Re: Question on re-rating a bowler [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

You are absolutely right Dennis, I dug up the tournament rules, and it was right there in rule number one.

See you in Reno 2020!

#165077 - 03/28/12 07:05 AM Re: Question on re-rating a bowler [Re: champ]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
As long as the rule is equally applied. That is the way I have always understood it (10 pin average rule).

A rerate is another matter. A rerate is a, more or less, arbitrary increase in the entering average and is usually based on recent tournament performance. The player is notified before his participation and is allowed to NOT play the tournament and get a refund for his entry fee.

These are two different rules.
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#165080 - 03/28/12 10:28 AM Re: Question on re-rating a bowler [Re: champ]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
Maybe it is beyond my brain right now, it is early...but if he is using his current 183 average for the tournament what is the big deal? Is it that his improvement is increasing so quickly that his occasional 220/230 game with 30-40 handicap is unfair?

I could see how it hurts people who have 195+ average and have kind of hit their ceiling, but thats the way it goes in Handicap leagues. At least it is proven in the book that he is steadily improving his game and handicap, so they can't say he is sandbagging, right?
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#165085 - 03/28/12 10:54 AM Re: Question on re-rating a bowler [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

It tutrns out that when the team filled out the paperwork for the city tournament, my dad was averaging 179, thus not exceeding 10 pins over his 171 book average. In the three weeks between submitting paperwork and bowling the tournament, he had three of his best series to date in league and his average jumped pretty quickly.

See you in Reno 2020!

#165092 - 03/28/12 11:38 AM Re: Question on re-rating a bowler [Re: champ]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Then, if they rerate him, you can contest his average based on the date of application, or date of the event.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#165178 - 03/30/12 08:31 AM Re: Question on re-rating a bowler [Re: champ]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I don't bowl our city tournament anymore because improving bowlers like your dad always, and I mean always, win most of the money. No knock against him or anyone else like him- it's just the nature of handicap events like this. Bowlers can improve from year 1 to 2, or even from 2 to 3, much more than I can from year 36 to 37.

Bowl up a Storm!

#165243 - 03/31/12 08:06 PM Re: Question on re-rating a bowler [Re: Fin09]
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: Fin09
I don't bowl our city tournament anymore because improving bowlers like your dad always, and I mean always, win most of the money. No knock against him or anyone else like him- it's just the nature of handicap events like this. Bowlers can improve from year 1 to 2, or even from 2 to 3, much more than I can from year 36 to 37.

I know what you're saying there. Without re-rating, I'd probably be one of the most sought after bowlers in the country for tournaments based on book averages. This year I am at 180 through 90 games in a full-season league, had a 184 in 54 games in the first half of a league and am averaging 189 after 36 games in the second half. Anybody want me on their team in a tournament with my 160 book average from last year's rookie season?

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

#165252 - 04/01/12 12:58 AM Re: Question on re-rating a bowler [Re: champ]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
It should be in your rules of the tournament. So hopefully he still has his flyer. Because he might need it to correspond with central office USBC.

The tournament committee has the right to rerate a bowler but that is BEFORE they bowl and usually give the bowler the choice of withdrawing from the tournament of continuing with the rerate. But he really needs that tournament flyer so that the rules are in front of him. Though I doubt that anywhere on that flyer does it say that all bowlers will be rerated after the tournament if they averaged 10 pins higher then their last book.

The typical rule is that the bowler must report if they are currently averaging 10 pins or higher then their last book. Its common and typical but not always. Again you have to see the tournament rules. But tournament rules cannot be made up after the fact. Which is why I say that I hope he has the flyer. If he failed to follow the tournament rules and report a 10 pin increase in his average, he could very well be disqualified from the tournament.

However, it might also be the tournament director's way of quieting the whiners. It may not come to anything. Its not the right way to deal with this but its a possibility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.