BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165142 - 03/29/12 10:34 AM Re: any and all help needed [Re: B-Hammer]
brunswickbowler Offline
Junior

A/S/L: Dallas
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer

. If I were to guess he also probably drilled reverse pitch in the thumb hole as well.

What exactly does that mean? he said something about i have to hold the ball and when people say the ball should stay on is not true, so im confused can someone explain that as well as what i quotes?

Brunswick Fuze
Brunswick Axis

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#165144 - 03/29/12 11:02 AM Re: any and all help needed [Re: brunswickbowler]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
Originally Posted By: brunswickbowler
What exactly does that mean? he said something about i have to hold the ball and when people say the ball should stay on is not true, so im confused can someone explain that as well as what i quotes?

Here is a Ron Clifton article from bowl4fun.com.
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip39.htm http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip39.htm

Here's a snippit from that article:

Quote:
Thumb pitch:

If you find yourself in a situation where the ball wants to fall off of your thumb no matter how tight you make the thumbhole, then you need to take a look at your thumb pitch. You will most likely need to move the pitch more forward.
Most bowlers have too much reverse pitch in their thumbholes so they never have any chance of throwing a ball without squeezing it tightly. Thumbhole pitch is “trial and error.” The only way you can ever really know the best pitch for your thumbhole is to keep drilling them.
Take an old ball and slug up the thumbhole. Then, drill it with ¼ inch more forward pitch than before and go bowl with it. If the ball comes off of your thumb just fine, then slug it and drill it another ¼ inch forward. Keep doing this until the ball hangs on your thumb. When the ball hangs you know you went too far. Back off to the last pitch drilled.
Once you have the thumbhole set up for the right size and pitch, you should not have to squeeze the ball to keep in on your thumb.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#165146 - 03/29/12 11:23 AM Re: any and all help needed [Re: brunswickbowler]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Quote:
he can tell because my finger nails touch the back of the holes

Seriously?

Okay, try this - put your thumb in the ball and set your fingers across the holes - your hand should be flush against the ball, but COMFORTABLY (don't squish it). Now, can you insert your fingers into the ball. Look at it with common sense.

Drilling to fit your hand is a science - telling if it's right is NOT. Seriously - it's YOUR hand.

So, take a look - your fingers don't hinge 100% on that first knuckle, and even then they have to curl back toward your hand. It's about 1/4" that they come back . . . try it and see. This means you will have to stretch your hand to get your fingers in your ball and slide your thumb in - that's not good.

What will happen? Tendons will get stretched; you will have to grip the ball to have it stay on (which we all noticed - ever wonder how we knew that? LOL); and eventually your hand and your forearm and elbow will begin to hurt because the ball is not drilled correctly.

My advice, for what it's worth, find a driller who will actually look at your hand, measure your hand, and then drill the ball the way you want it drilled.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#165147 - 03/29/12 11:23 AM Re: any and all help needed [Re: brunswickbowler]
brunswickbowler Offline
Junior

ok thanks, well i will be going to ask another driller his opinion in my span because my hand lays flat on the ball, i am also guessing i need to add more tape to my ball, you guys are being of great help, i guess i either drop the ball or my wrist is weak because lately i have lost alot of revs but i think im a dropper because when i put extra cup on my wrist i get lots of revs.

Brunswick Fuze
Brunswick Axis

#165148 - 03/29/12 11:26 AM Re: any and all help needed [Re: brunswickbowler]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA

. If I were to guess he also probably drilled reverse pitch in the thumb hole as well.

Your driller sounds very outdated, most of the advice your going to find on this and other forums is based on a relaxed grip and a free arm swing, those things are hard to get with a stretched span and a death grip on the ball. If you want to continue to improve and take advantage of the current equipment available I would suggest at least consulting with another Pro Shop on if your fit is correct and also seeking a private lesson for help with the basic fundamentals.

#165150 - 03/29/12 11:28 AM Re: any and all help needed [Re: mmalsed]
brunswickbowler Offline
Junior

Originally Posted By: mmalsed

Seriously?

Okay, try this - put your thumb in the ball and set your fingers across the holes - your hand should be flush against the ball, but COMFORTABLY (don't squish it). Now, can you insert your fingers into the ball. Look at it with common sense.

Drilling to fit your hand is a science - telling if it's right is NOT. Seriously - it's YOUR hand.

So, take a look - your fingers don't hinge 100% on that first knuckle, and even then they have to curl back toward your hand. It's about 1/4" that they come back . . . try it and see. This means you will have to stretch your hand to get your fingers in your ball and slide your thumb in - that's not good.

What will happen? Tendons will get stretched; you will have to grip the ball to have it stay on (which we all noticed - ever wonder how we knew that? LOL); and eventually your hand and your forearm and elbow will begin to hurt because the ball is not drilled correctly.

My advice, for what it's worth, find a driller who will actually look at your hand, measure your hand, and then drill the ball the way you want it drilled.

thanks i will try this. can anybody tell me why i have a bruise on the base of my thumb is this also because of the span and me having to hold the ball? sorry if yall feel like yall are repeating im just trying to learn to the best of my ability so i can know these things for my next ball.

Brunswick Fuze
Brunswick Axis

#165152 - 03/29/12 11:31 AM Re: any and all help needed [Re: B-Hammer]
brunswickbowler Offline
Junior

Your driller sounds very outdated, most of the advice your going to find on this and other forums is based on a relaxed grip and a free arm swing, those things are hard to get with a stretched span and a death grip on the ball. If you want to continue to improve and take advantage of the current equipment available I would suggest at least consulting with another pro shop on if your fit is correct and also seeking a private lesson for help with the basic fundamentals.

i think he is a little outdated hes an older guy in his 70s but i will look into another driller thanks for the advice.

Brunswick Fuze
Brunswick Axis

#165154 - 03/29/12 12:12 PM Re: any and all help needed [Re: brunswickbowler]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
can anybody tell me why i have a bruise on the base of my thumb is this also because of the span and me having to hold the ball?

Yes it's because of the span.

From Ron Clifton: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/btm05_files/btm5.htm

Quote:
A stretched span pulls hard on the tendons of the fingers, hand and wrist, possibly causing injury, often requiring surgery to repair. The stretched span can also cause problems with the thumb, requiring excessive reverse pitch in the thumbhole and large calluses at the base of the thumb. Don’t make the mistake of making the span stretched tight because you think it adds a few more revs to the ball. Over stretching your tendons is a poor substitute for a good release and you won’t be revving the ball at all if you pop a tendon.

#165158 - 03/29/12 01:11 PM Re: any and all help needed [Re: B-Hammer]
brunswickbowler Offline
Junior

Thanks, Hammer you have been great as well as everyone else. i will get this span fixed when i have the money, i think my thumb is to reversed i guess i will be two- handing my ball till it can get fixed.

Brunswick Fuze
Brunswick Axis

#165199 - 03/30/12 04:13 PM Re: any and all help needed [Re: brunswickbowler]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I will also just jump in here and agree with everyone else that your driller is drilling you equipment based on information and technology from 20 or so years ago.

Equipment and technology have changed and so should your drillers philosophy over time. Every sport advances with the times, for some reason your driller is simply not keeping up with what he should be.

Yoru span should be relaxed, if you have to hold onto the ball it is from bad fit, whether that is from improper span or lack of tape, or possibly bad technique.

I would get your equipment checked out and evaluated by another driller and see what they have to say. Also, instead of paying about $50-$75 to get that ball plugged and re-drilled I would buy a heavier ball, 13 lbs is really light for a typical male that is your average healthy person.

For reference, I am 5'10" and about 135 lbs and I throw 15 lb equipment, and I can bowl 15 games easily without growing tired. I would assume you could go up in weight pretty easily. Plus it will make it easier for you to not "man-handle" the ball and work on a more fluid and consistent technique.

Good luck!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.