BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164776 - 03/21/12 01:59 PM Dgordon 2 handed update
dgordon0408 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
well, im pretty much making the change over to 2handing, its going alright so far, i need to work very hard to get better form but its coming along, shot my highest game so far with 2 hands of 276, sadly only shot 621 because my other 2 were 172 and 173, but i feel like im coming along after about 20 days of this, thinks i see are that i am pretty balanced at the line, i do have some slight targeting issues at the break point, higher rev rate, higher ball speed, thumb looks relatively normal, average is improving, if you see anything in the video let me know, i am however tracking inverted so my pap is now going to be down now changing all my drillings, please give me some idea of how its looking, thanks, hoping to bowl a tournament like this in a few weeks

Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#164777 - 03/21/12 02:09 PM Re: Dgordon 2 handed update [Re: dgordon0408]
dgordon0408 Offline

btw the shots here were very poorly executed so these arent up to my full potential, i will get better video on saturday after i bowl league

#164780 - 03/21/12 03:11 PM Re: Dgordon 2 handed update [Re: dgordon0408]
Jazlar Von Steich Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 43/M/Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I'd like to see the updated videos. Based on what I see here, I can suggest to try to get a little lower during your approach. You want to generate power through your core/lower body. In this video, you are leaning forward at the line and losing a lot of momentum. I've only been doing it a few months, myself - and I'm more than twice your age - but I've quickly discovered that the power comes from the lower body. And any lean forward kills it.

Also, and this is likely due to your forward lean, it appears you are coming around the ball too much. This is also killing speed and revs. Throwing 2 handed, you will find the most powerful shots by staying behind the ball and driving through it. It will help get the ball down the lane and retain energy for the backend. When done correctly, you will see a big difference in pin action. If you watch Belmo and Osku videos, you will see what I mean.

The good news is, you are still young. Hopefully you can find some coaching to help you out. I've mostly had to do it on my own, but I've managed to become pretty good at it in a short period of time (though still far from mastering it). In fact, during rock and bowl league last night, several people (including a teammate), were shocked when I told them I had only been doing it for 3 months, plus a bit last summer. I shot my high series last night of 686. Only 2 opens and one was a 7-10 split. It took me a little while to get a 600, but in March I've had 10+ across 5 leagues. In the last 2 weeks I have shot 650+ twice in two different leagues. I feel like this is the way I was meant to bowl.

#164785 - 03/21/12 05:34 PM Re: Dgordon 2 handed update [Re: dgordon0408]
dgordon0408 Offline

yeah the updated video will be taken and posted saturday, the problem i was having in this video was my hand placement which is one reason i was getting on the side of it so much, when i can get my fingers situated right i feel behind the ball and like im not releasing on the side which i get more powerful strikes, i was adjusted like this with the versa max which grips are too big for me which i shot 276 with today and 244 the other day and other games in the 200s

#164786 - 03/21/12 05:48 PM Re: Dgordon 2 handed update [Re: dgordon0408]
dgordon0408 Offline

ill also work on staying more upright at the line i had a lot of problems with this one handed because im on the taller side so i feel that i have to bend at the waist to get lower so im not lofting, and after going through the video in slow motion i see what you mean about being on the side and that was with one ball i threw a different ball for the side view and i cant tell if im behind it or not, im going to practice later on, btw do you recommend getting a urethane ball?

#164822 - 03/22/12 02:30 PM Re: Dgordon 2 handed update [Re: dgordon0408]
Jazlar Von Steich Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 43/M/Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dgordon0408
ill also work on staying more upright at the line i had a lot of problems with this one handed because im on the taller side so i feel that i have to bend at the waist to get lower so im not lofting, and after going through the video in slow motion i see what you mean about being on the side and that was with one ball i threw a different ball for the side view and i cant tell if im behind it or not, im going to practice later on, btw do you recommend getting a urethane ball?

Yeah, getting down is tough. My knees aren't in the best shape and I am getting older, so this is the challenge. I just start lower in my setup, so I don't have as far to go. Although I definitely know when I'm not getting down enough and the lofting (and ball bouncing) starts. The good thing for me is that I've always had strong legs, so I can still get good power without getting down as low as I would like.

The big challenge is getting that ball away with the right speed and revs. So many things can mess this up. For me, it is sometimes losing the ball too early. Sometimes I don't get enough drive through the lower body. Sometimes, my hand comes around too much - with more oil, this leads to too much skid - with dry boards, it usually leads to quick left turns and usually missing left. Sometimes I don't open my shoulders enough, which I have found is really key when you need to play from far left to far right - which is usually necessary on house patterns. It's tough, but the more you do it, the more consistent you will get.

As for urethane, I'd definitely recommend it. I own 3 urethane balls. That many is not necessary, but you definitely should have at least one. I have both the Storm Natural and Natural Pearl. And I also own the newer Blue Hammer. If you bowl on multiple surfaces, like I do, you might want to pick up both the Naturals or something equivalent. I tend to use my Natural at the one synthetic house and the Pearl at the wood house. I haven't been using my Blue Hammer as much as of late.

If I'm to recommend anything above all else, don't rush the learning process. That's why I started with urethane. I focused on getting the release right and not worrying about speed. Muscling will cause problems. Start slow and gradually work on quicker/more powerful footwork. That's when you can start going back to the more aggressive equipment.

#164829 - 03/22/12 06:00 PM Re: Dgordon 2 handed update [Re: dgordon0408]
dgordon0408 Offline

yeah, i think im going to work on that, so do you flare inverted? because i took my pap measurements so i could calculate rev rate and speed, which btw im only slightly rev dominant now rev rate around 500 and ball speed around 19, but my pap is 4.5-> and 2.25 down. i found this on my plastic ball, if someone would be willing to double check me on the rev rate and speed that would be appreciated. but heres another video.

#164846 - 03/23/12 06:07 AM Re: Dgordon 2 handed update [Re: dgordon0408]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Hey mate, your speed is around 16.5-17 mph..

Enjoy the learning process of 2 handed bowling.. What got me, was it so much fun.. Practise is awesome!!

Just in terms of balance at fouline, how do u feel on the last step/slide, do u feel balanced and hitting your target consistsntly??

Re your track, can u describe it for me, u mentioned inverted, where does it run through (fingers and thumb) line.. Curious as my track has changed of late, and I'm not really sure of what u call it now lol.

#164849 - 03/23/12 09:18 AM Re: Dgordon 2 handed update [Re: dgordon0408]
dgordon0408 Offline

I feel balanced the majority of the time and i feel like I consistently hit my Target a my the arrrows but at the break point is my problem, and I mean my pap is down now so I'm closer to the fingers than I am the thumb I'm actually clipping the fingers the middle.finger to be exact

Edited by dgordon0408 (03/23/12 09:19 AM)

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.