BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164356 - 03/11/12 08:35 PM Missed opportunity :(
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Well, subbed in the Inter city this weekend, and really blew it. One of the best scoring houses I had ever shot in a regular up there has a banner reading congratulations on you 100th 300 game. My team mate shot a 300 and 805 series Saturday and 299 817 Today. I ended up 9 pins over average for the whole 9 games.

The shot was great except for one problem, I took the wrong equipment, I took Theroy, Hy-Road, Frantic and plastic. Rolled one game with the Hy-road which proved to strong, the Frantic and plastic for the other 8 Frantic was to strong really after the third game and I ended up averaging 3 splits a game, I could not stay right of the head pin rolled the last 2 games with my plastic. I made the mistake of assuming tournament = heavy oil or flat pattern, turned out to be short house shot so even when I tried to kill the Frantics snap it was still to much. Combined with last minute sub situation and putting pressure on myself not to let the team and doubles partner down I thought myself clear out of scoring great.
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#164401 - 03/13/12 06:10 AM Re: Missed opportunity :( [Re: Rocket]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
What ball was your teammate using when he tossed the big numbers, and where was he playing in relation to where you were playing?

If someone is tearing the place apart like that, you might want to follow suit. If he is playing from deep inside and you can't get your ball back from there, don't worry, play straight at where his ball is making the move back to the pocket from, and you should do better.

#164404 - 03/13/12 06:51 AM Re: Missed opportunity :( [Re: CoachJim]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Yeah Coach Jim, that is what we were doing playing deep inside, He was using a Tropical heat Black silver after the first game. I know my original post blames the equipment choice but after thinking about it I know it was the driver not the ball. For one I was uncomfortable where I was playing with the Frantic feet 40 target 25, I have played there before in practice on the dry, but not enough to really trust it. At the tourney I threw a turkey when I got my ball deep and let it bounce off the 5 board, but all 3 shots looked like they were heading for the ditch before they made the huge snap back to the pocket. My game has changed a lot since I have been focusing on my hand position and deeper knee bend but my brain doesn't believe my ball will move as much as it does yet, if that makes any sense. So I wouldn't run it out there on purpose even though I seen it working for pretty much everybody. Playing straight up is something I need to work on this summer again where I have changed my hand position through out the swing and added the deeper knee bend I havent been outside of 25 with my feet and when I try going straight up my ball ends up at the 4-7. So thats my plan for this summer work on different hand positions.
Mutant Cell

#164434 - 03/14/12 09:21 AM Re: Missed opportunity :( [Re: Rocket]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
Sorry you had a bad tournament Rocket. 40-25 seems crazy to me :P What board does it usually find the breakpoint at? I'm trying to picture it in my head and I can't imagine you get the ball out to the 7 or 6 board from that line. But maybe the breakpoint wasn't that far right, only you and the laneman know smile

I don't have the arsenal of balls that a lot of you guys do, which allows me to experiment with different lines, speed and rotations on my Alpha Max. It's quite fun. Some nights I go much straighter than the ball is made, such as 17 to the 12. Last night was much drier so I learned to adjust and was at 25 throwing over about the 14 board.

Hand position and tinkering can be fun, but always have a go-to position in case something doesn't work for you on a night.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#164437 - 03/14/12 04:46 PM Re: Missed opportunity :( [Re: Rocket]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Had the same thing happen to me at the tournament in Feb. Had bowled in the house we were at before so brght the 3 balls that I normally use and come to find out they changed the oil pattern since the last time i was there. So I shot my avg but that was abt it and i am sure i would have done better if i had my modern marvel or furious with me. Something with surface. I only took frantic anarchy and tropical all have polish on them and just needed something that would bite a little earlier. Oh well live and learn. Will be bringing all 6 with me to the next one LOL
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#164438 - 03/14/12 06:03 PM Re: Missed opportunity :( [Re: Rocket]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
my brain doesn't believe my ball will move as much as it does yet, if that makes any sense

It makes perfect sense to me, you are not alone, there are many bowlers with this problem that don't even know they have it.

Here is an exercise you can do to get your head on straight. Ask for permission to place a piece of tape on the one board 30ft down the lane. After asking for permission and making sure the gutter cap is safe to walk on, take a piece of white bowling tape and find the 30 ft mark, the arrows are at 15ft, there is usually a splice in gutter pieces 1/2 way from the foul line to the pins, place the piece of tape on the one board.

Next using any ball that you don't mind a scratch or two if it goes in the gutter. Standing anywhere you want on the approach, roll the ball between the second and third arrow and hit the piece of tape and have the ball go in the gutter. Ron Clifton will bet you $200 that you can't do it on the first try.

This teaches your inner control freak to let the ball go where you want it to without fear of the gutter, or trying to steer the ball away from the gutter. This is a great drill because it teaches you to get the ball through the heads on the line you want it on and trust that the ball will come back. Most of the fear is not trusting the first 30 feet, if you can get that behind you then you will be able to develop a feel for your limitations.

#164474 - 03/15/12 12:12 PM Re: Missed opportunity :( [Re: CoachJim]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks coach I will definetly try that, I am sure the manager would even place it out there for me at Jordans house. Once again great tip!
Mutant Cell

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Where is every one?
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 04:07 PM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by Dennis Michael - 01/18/18 04:49 PM
Motiv Venom Shock Pearl
by Jason_C - 01/18/18 10:51 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - 01/18/18 09:54 AM
Competing against high rev, high speed players
by BowlerBill - 01/17/18 07:59 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 01/10/18 02:34 PM
Dual Angle Layouts
by Dennis Michael - 01/10/18 10:26 AM
Roto-Grip Hyper Cell Fused Video Ball Review
by mmalsed - 01/08/18 11:41 AM
Dare Devil Danger Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 01/07/18 08:56 PM
Good advice from my brother!
by Dylan585 - 01/05/18 04:13 PM
"Knocking the Shine" off of my Pearl Ball
by 6_ball_man - 01/01/18 09:11 AM
Have a happy and safe Holiday
by goobee - 01/01/18 02:34 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.