BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16445 - 02/12/01 05:13 PM Describe your "ideal" lane condition
Rizzo Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Vancouver, WA
I kind of like the idea of making 200 a great score again.

My ideal condition would be 30' of oil and flat. If you throw it good, you are going to score.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16446 - 02/12/01 07:17 PM Re: Describe your "ideal" lane condition
Bowlerdude Offline
Junior

A/S/L: SoCal
Bowlers won't accept a tough condition because it will screw up their fun on league night. Scratch bowlers don't like it because their fragile ego's get bruised. The ABC won't do a thing about high scoring because they deny that the problem even exist! Last year some guy booked 246 in my association he must be really good!!!
Later, Bowlerdude

#16447 - 02/13/01 12:45 AM Re: Describe your "ideal" lane condition
Josie Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Brisbane, Australia
It would really make my day if my league centre decided on a lane condition and stuck to it, instead of confusing the hell out of me every three weeks by changing it. I feel sure that although AMF Australia say they stipulate the lane condition for their centres, it changes each time the lane guys change their shift!!!

#16448 - 02/13/01 01:07 AM Re: Describe your "ideal" lane condition
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
There is a new league play called Sport Bowling. This is where very challenging oil patterns and shots are put out on the lanes delibertly to see how bowlers step up to this challenge.

Other then looking for this type of league, you can find a travel league that moves from house to house in a broad area each month. Or you can join a league in a different house known to have a "difficult" shot.

Once you are at the level where you are looking for this type of challenge, I think you stop asking these types of questions. I'm still adjusting to the lane conditions of the two houses I bowl in. I find them both challenging enough.

Erin V

#16449 - 02/15/01 04:41 PM Re: Describe your "ideal" lane condition
Rocket to the Pocket Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Some bowling center in Vermont
My ideal lane condition is one where all the lane equipment works and where there are no problems. :rolleyes:

CCBA Director and Yankee Lanes Center League Sec'y

Not your average everyday bowler (that's for sure)

#16450 - 02/23/01 02:01 PM Re: Describe your "ideal" lane condition
Mario Offline
Bumper Bowler

haveing bowled in both traveling leagues & now in a "difficult" shot league.....we actually change the shot each round....I would have to stick with the difficult shot over the travel league.....

....while going from house to house will definately improve your game and give you a truer average then bowling on the same house shot each week, you are still on another "house shot"....just not your own. The challange of having a very small margin of error is what makes the sport condition a real test of ability.....

ours is currently 37', buffed to 38'.....flat across the lane.....we only have ONE person averaging 200 (201).....and he's one of th etop regional players in our area....
Quote:
quote:

#16451 - 02/23/01 04:21 PM Re: Describe your "ideal" lane condition
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
I'm very thankful that the league Mario is bowling is NOT an official Sports Condition league, given the news that they will "adjust" averages from the test leagues approximately 20 pins higher.

I think ALL sanctioned leagues should move toward the more difficult shots, and those who want to score on the adult version of bumpers should pay a reduced sanction fee and NOT be eligible for awards--except maybe the ones that come from the gumball machines.

#16452 - 02/24/01 01:25 PM Re: Describe your "ideal" lane condition
VUbowl Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Vincennes, IN
I disagree that ALL leagues should be required to use the same "tough" condition. I DO agree that awards should definitely be linked to the condition being bowled on. The ABC/WIBC has tried and is trying tiered membership and I think this is a step in the right direction. I do believe that the tiers need to be more defined with bigger differences in cost and awards. The ABC/WIBC CANNOT control and dictate everything when it comes to lane conditions, they and US the bowlers have to rely on the PROPRIETORS to do what's right. Unfortunately this isn't always the case. But that's where I think all bowlers can help by putting pressure on proprietors to clean up their centers and to help put some integrity back into the game for those wanting the "sport" condition but leaving room for those that are interested in the "recreational" side of the game. Until we learn to coexist, both sides will continue to suffer.
Gary Sparks
Asst. Professor Bowling Industry Management
Vincennes University

#16453 - 02/25/01 07:51 PM Re: Describe your "ideal" lane condition
Bowlerdude Offline
Junior

Gary,
I couldn't disagree with you more, the side that loses is BOWLING as long as the ABC allows super soft totaly walled up lane conditions everyone suffers! Bowling has been dying a slow death ever since the BPAA put a gun to the ABC's head and demanded what was then called LDD (Limited Distance Dressing). Scores have progressively increased and the integrity of this once great sport has suffered irreparable damage that is unless the ABC decides to show some courage and take some steps to fix it!

Just my two cents worth.

Later, Richard

[ 02-25-2001: Message edited by: Bowlerdude ]

#16454 - 02/26/01 08:42 AM Re: Describe your "ideal" lane condition
VUbowl Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Vincennes, IN
Bowlerdude, I don't disagree that the ABC buckled under to pressure from the proprietors at the time, but that just reinforces my opinion that its the PROPRIETORS, and I don't mean the BPAA, that are going to make this change. The ABC doesn't say you HAVE to put out an easy condition, its just what most of the proprietors do under the disguise of saying they are going to lose their bowlers if they don't, and that is an opinion I STRONGLY disagree with. Too many proprietors take the easy road to lane conditioning and maintenance and no mandate or rule from ABC or whoever is going to change that right now. They have shown this over and over again through the years. Until the bowlers step up and start speaking up it will continue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.