BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164254 - 03/08/12 11:03 AM any experience with the Brunswick Nexxus f(P+R)?
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
Our bowling center is bringing in a PBA hall of famer to demo some Brunswick balls. I'm interested in the subject Nexxus and would appreciate your thoughts before I go order one tonight nut

sorry I don't remember his name.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#164255 - 03/08/12 12:03 PM Re: any experience with the Brunswick Nexxus f(P+R)? [Re: TominNJ]
Happy Birthday champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
The f(P+R) is an extremely aggressive ball meant for very heavy oil, much like the Virtual Gravity Nano, or the Defiant. On anything less than heavy oil, this ball will read too soon and roll out its energy before hitting the pins. On heavy oil it will carve up the pattern very quickly, providing you with a good friction spot, and the ability to ball down.

Balls of this caliber need to be viewed as tools to use on specific occassions. They aren't benchmark balls, and in most scenarios, they aren't house shot balls.

I have the defiant, and of the 8 houses in my area, only one uses enough oil for that ball to be necessary, and even then, after the first game its chewed up the pattern enough to no longer be necessary.

#164267 - 03/08/12 02:02 PM Re: any experience with the Brunswick Nexxus f(P+R)? [Re: champ]
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: champ
The f(P+R) is an extremely aggressive ball meant for very heavy oil, much like the Virtual Gravity Nano, or the Defiant. On anything less than heavy oil, this ball will read too soon and roll out its energy before hitting the pins. On heavy oil it will carve up the pattern very quickly, providing you with a good friction spot, and the ability to ball down.

Balls of this caliber need to be viewed as tools to use on specific occassions. They aren't benchmark balls, and in most scenarios, they aren't house shot balls.

I have the defiant, and of the 8 houses in my area, only one uses enough oil for that ball to be necessary, and even then, after the first game its chewed up the pattern enough to no longer be necessary.

thanks for the reply champ.

I must confess that I don't get the "not for house shots" argument. There are quite a few Nanos being used to great effect in the leagues where I bowl. The balls aren't making hard turns into the gutter. They might do so in the hands of a super high rev bowler on our house shot but they're quite effective in the hands of some of the people I bowl against.

#164293 - 03/09/12 03:31 PM Re: any experience with the Brunswick Nexxus f(P+R)? [Re: TominNJ]
vgnano420 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/m/mi
Yeah I'm a big fan of my nano on a house shot, but when I get a pocket 7-10 I switch it up. I think it all depends on your style of play that determines if you may struggle with a heavy oil ball. Last but not least that black and red combo looks bad ass.

If Bowling is a Sport, I'm an Athlete!

#164319 - 03/10/12 02:24 PM Re: any experience with the Brunswick Nexxus f(P+R)? [Re: TominNJ]
average220com Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Asheville/NC/USA
I created an account just so I could give you a better answer.

Any bowling ball can be drilled for any shot, or bowler, as long as the bowler is willing to bowl with the ball where it needs to be bowled with.

I personally drilled my own Brunswick Nexxus f(P+R) last week. I used the Dual Angle Layout method as taught by Mo Pinel. I drilled it 40 degrees by 3 7/8" by 45 degrees with my PAP of 4 inches over and 1/8" down.

At first I attempted to bowl on my regular Tuesday Night men's league up around the second arrow which is my usual comfort zone. The ball kept burning up and leaving ten pins. I adjusted and played around the third arrow keeping the ball in the oil for the most part of the lane. Our shot is 44 feet, so using the 13 board as a target down lane worked out great.

When I missed right the ball came back and carried light. When I pulled it (which I do a lot) it held and carried high. When this ball hits the pins it destroys the rack.

For the other commentator saying this ball should be used for heavy oil, I agree, but there is a section of heavy oil on almost all house shots, as the lane man has to design a shot to support a very diverse group of lines thrown.

I think most bowlers would be EXTREMELY happy with this or any other Nexus ball on the market to date. This ball line is going to bring Brunswick back to the table. Watch out Storm / RotoGrip.

You should definitely ask this question to the Brunswick Rep that will more than likely attend your event coming up.

#164324 - 03/10/12 04:01 PM Re: any experience with the Brunswick Nexxus f(P+R)? [Re: TominNJ]
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

followup:

the pro's name is Johnny Petraglia. He was here Thursday and demonstrated 5 or 6 balls including the two nexxus models (nexxi?)

It was my first opportunity to watch a professional tour bowler. I was astounded at how effortless it was for him to throw big old looping hooks. I was trying to figure out how he does it and came to the realization that I don't have any idea what I'm doing. It was actually depressing.

I decided there's no point in buying any more balls until I learn to throw the ones I already have.

Edited by TominNJ (03/10/12 04:02 PM)

#164337 - 03/10/12 11:15 PM Re: any experience with the Brunswick Nexxus f(P+R)? [Re: TominNJ]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23 Male Russia

If you don't bowl tournaments with sport patterns it absolutely unneccesary to spend money on a new ball or having more than 3 balls including a spare ball, just keep the old ones clean, resurfaced and revived.

Storm Victory Road Solid 15
Roto Grip Critical Theory 15
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15
Storm Rapid Fire Pearl 14 (retired)
Ebonite Maxim 14 (retired)

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by 82Boat69 - 0 seconds ago
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by BOSStull - Today at 10:05 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.