BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16392 - 05/01/01 06:27 AM Drifting
jose silva Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Portugal
Hi,

I would like to know what kind of tricks do you use to overcome consistent drifting.

I drift two boards to the right at the foul line and i have tried walking straight but i canīt. Whenever i carry a bowling ball on my right hand i tend to drift 2 boards right.

This means i should try to walk more to the left while aiming to the same spot on the lane, but wonīt that make me torque at the waist?

Some help would be very appreciated. laugh
Thanks

Jose

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16393 - 05/02/01 06:50 AM Re: Drifting
Clark_Green Offline
Junior

A/S/L: State College, PA
Jose,

A two board drift in either direction is very managable. To see if it is really a two board drift, put the inside of your sliding shoe covering the middle board on the approach. Look at and roll the ball over the second arrow from the gutter several times, checking where the inside of your sliding shoe ends. If it covers the 18th board, you have a 2 board drift right, which is nothing to worry about as long as it's consistent.

What you should be more concerned about is where you specifically stand to play your best shots, and not about how you are walking. On certain lines it should appear you are drifting right, and others it will appear you are drifting left, but it's really the drift in relation to the angle you are playing that matters. For instance, being a righty when shooting the ten pin across lane I expect my feet to end up further right than where I started, but I don't consider that a drift, since I'm planning on walking toward my target.

This is one way to look at it. Another is given by Fred Borden, who likes to think about walking straight toward the foul line on the approach and making other adjustments. If you practice either enough, both are acceptable. I've seen great bowlers with tremendous "drifts". They usually are changing their walking pattern to take advantage of specific lane conditions and will practice things like walking around ball returns to do what they think needs to be done. But for basic bowling, a two board drift isn't too bad, it may not be bad at all.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.