BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163819 - 02/28/12 01:55 PM "sandbagging"
rollitright Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 25/m/MT
I bowl in a few leagues and in one of them it is broken into 2 halves and the winning team from each half go into a bowl off for prize money. My question is do any of your leagues do this the same way and if so do they provide some kind of incentive for winning both halves so the team that wins the first half doesn't sandbag to drop their averages to have an edge in the bowl off?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#163820 - 02/28/12 02:05 PM Re: "sandbagging" [Re: rollitright]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
My league is broken down into quarters with the quarter champions bowling one roll-off. With our prize fund, if we win two quarters but lose the roll-off, we'll get more money than by winning one quarter and the league championship. For people after the money, it behooves them to win as many quarters as possible.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#163822 - 02/28/12 02:22 PM Re: "sandbagging" [Re: rollitright]
Cryssen Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Louisville, KY, USA
In our league the half winners' pot is bigger than the champion's pot. So if you win both halfs, you automatically win the champion and get it all.
15# Circle Rio Plastic(Spare Ball)

HGS: 274
HSS: 732

My Team's Stats:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmPIj_prGtsodGd1dTg5bEVnVFRSR0VES05QZWY4WGc

#163826 - 02/28/12 02:42 PM Re: "sandbagging" [Re: rollitright]
Jazlar Von Steich Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 43/M/Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Most of the leagues that I have bowled in have been this way. I have never been on a team that has won a half (came down to the last week twice) until this year. My Thursday team won the first half, and not having any clue what the prize pool is like, we discussed strategy for the second half.

For me, I will never purposely bowl bad to lower my average. I just can't do it. We joked about bowling bad so we could have a better chance in that title game, but I suggested we just go out and kick ass in the second half and win outright. So far we are in first again - though we stumbled a bit last week during a position week. Still leading though.

I bowl because I enjoy it and because I want to bowl the best that I can. I compete with myself more than others. If I can bowl well, more times than not, the rest takes care of itself. I'm often the anchor though because I can go up there and perform well in the 10th when needed.

I don't agree with people sandbagging, but some people just bowl for different reasons.

#163830 - 02/28/12 03:13 PM Re: "sandbagging" [Re: rollitright]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
League I bowled in a few years ago stated that if your team wins a third, you bowl the roll off with the higher of your finishing average or the average you finished your winning third with. It kept teams from tanking the remaining weeks to gain an edge.

Bowl up a Storm!

#163832 - 02/28/12 04:20 PM Re: "sandbagging" [Re: rollitright]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
We do quarters, each winner gets a bonus, but the real money is in the weekly points, so unless you really want a trophy or plaque sandbagging doesn't reward you as much as just winning as many points as possible.

#163835 - 02/28/12 04:47 PM Re: "sandbagging" [Re: rollitright]
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
Our Monday night big money league ($12k first prize) is doing something similar but with three periods and some type of roll off. It is my understanding that the roll off at the end will be a non handicap scratch format but I've never seen the league by-laws.

#163836 - 02/28/12 04:56 PM Re: "sandbagging" [Re: rollitright]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
My league is split into thirds. Hammer is right, the real money is in the points. We have head to head and team points, sandbagging isn't an option for anyone who bowls for scores. You lose any chance in cashing in on a hot night and there is a pretty good chunk of money a sandbagger turns away.

I don't have a lot of honor scores (actually just a couple) but my highest game of 299 came after posting a couple 170 games. You just keep fighting and if you keep at it you just never know. Bowlers who are bowling year after year will get a championship. Those i have i honestly don't remember all of them but the honor scores i can tell you month and year. I think those who sandbag show lack of experience on a number of levels..

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#163860 - 02/29/12 12:54 AM Re: "sandbagging" [Re: rollitright]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Yeah, I've bowled in a lot of leagues like this. Some of them if you win both halves you are uncontested league champion. And the end of league roll offs are for second and down. But most of the places get some money and if not then all the teams get pin money. That is money for each game win or per pin knocked down. Regardless of whether you win a half or not, each win or each pin knocked down should add to your pin money. So if you sandbag, then you are throwing money away. Most sandbagging is not done to get money in league, but to establish an artificially low average for tournament purposes and/or participating in pot games and brackets that are not associated with direct league championship.

At the beginning of the league season there's a meeting, and the rules and how the league is broken down are explained and voted on there.

Erin

#163918 - 03/01/12 04:14 AM Re: "sandbagging" [Re: rollitright]
David170 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 31/M/ Hamilton, Montana
With league's with 1/3's then roll off's. The sandbagging team usally wins the 2nd third. Then is tuff come roll off time. Just my two cents.
Vizaball- Broncos
Storm Tropical Heat

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - Today at 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.