BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163771 - 02/27/12 08:47 PM Re: Any/all advice welcome [Re: Rollin' G]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Oklahoma
I am wondering if my poor picture quality is making the fit look wrong. Trying to take some better pics.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#163773 - 02/27/12 09:01 PM Re: Any/all advice welcome [Re: Rollin' G]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You can tell if your span is correct by placing your thumb in the ball and laying your fingers across the holes. The leading edge (side closest to the thumb) of the finger hole should be no longer than half way between the first and second knuckle of the middle and ring finger without stretching your hand, it should be relaxed. It can be a little shorter than that, but not shorter than one quarter from the second knuckle.

If you already have a ball you can tell if your span is right by putting your hand in the ball and see if the fingernails are pressing the back of the holes, a properly fit ball will not have the fingers pressing into the back of the hole.

On my equipment, I can put my thumb in first and still be able to put my fingers in the ball, I donít advocate bowling like this, but it is a good test to see if your span is too long.

#163778 - 02/27/12 09:41 PM Re: Any/all advice welcome [Re: CoachJim]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Thanks for that description Coach. Using that definition, I think my ring finger is probably fine and my middle finger is stretched a slight amount. The fellow that drilled this new ball said he left some "meat" in the front of the slug in case I want to go in about 1/8". If I did that, that would put the middle finger a little less than half way between the knuckles and the leading edge of the hole.

As I see it, my biggest challenge is to learn a free swing at this point. I'm rolling the ball so slow now that if I don't stay behind the ball very well, I get just a TON of angle at the break point---probably trying to help the ball too much. What a challenging sport---but I'm going to put in the time to find a way to bowl without pain because the way I'm muscling the ball right now I can't hardly stand to bowl more than a couple of times a week.

#163792 - 02/28/12 05:41 AM Re: Any/all advice welcome [Re: Rollin' G]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
I'm going to put in the time to find a way to bowl without pain because the way I'm muscling the ball right now I can't hardly stand to bowl more than a couple of times a week.

Bowling is not supposed to be painful, get your grip fixed, preferably by someone who doesn't try to cover up their mistakes with "I was just leaving you 1/8" just in case you want it drilled properly in the future." What a bunch of garbage, get your ball fixed before you hurt yourself.

#163803 - 02/28/12 10:39 AM Re: Any/all advice welcome [Re: CoachJim]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
get your grip fixed, preferably by someone who doesn't try to cover up their mistakes with "I was just leaving you 1/8" just in case you want it drilled properly in the future." What a bunch of garbage, get your ball fixed before you hurt yourself.

OK, I'll do what you advise. I've worked with the shop in our local house (where I think the sloppy fit started) and the most recent driller is in another shop about 1/2 an hour a way. Some of the high average bowlers I know really swear by the shop/driller I'm working with right now and I want to be fair to them because honestly I do think I developed a very poor game long before I started working on getting the ball to fit---I am light years ahead of where I was a month ago with fit. I will work on this with them and let them know I'm still having some pain. I've got a lot of work to do.

#163804 - 02/28/12 11:02 AM Re: Any/all advice welcome [Re: Rollin' G]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Also, if anyone knows of drillers in the Tulsa or OKC area that they would recommend for checking my fit/span, that would be appreciated. I'm hesitant to say what shops I've worked with, because I don't want to say something that would be a problem later. Please PM and I can say who I've worked with so far on fit. I've spent what I think a fair amount of money on this stuff and I am super frustrated that I am looking at spending even more.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.