BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16374 - 04/17/01 07:41 PM 10th frame choke
Tim Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Lambertville,Mi
I have a reoccuring problem in the 10th frame of games.. I can be bowling fine, working on a 200 game with marks in every frame until th 10th. and I open. Any suggestions?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#16375 - 04/17/01 09:33 PM Re: 10th frame choke
Clark_Green Offline
Junior

A/S/L: State College, PA
Tim,
This may not help but here goes. When you practice, spend some time thinking that you are three strikes from a 300 game. Try your best to think that you are in that situation, and REALLY TRY to get that 300. You'll find that you have to relax, but concentrate on your shot. Find what your best mind set is to perform at your peak. Remember that when you are going for that score. The only other advice I can give is to care more about the process of bowling than your score. If you feel you made a good shot, be happy. Ignore the scores as much as possible. wink

#16376 - 04/20/01 09:15 AM Re: 10th frame choke
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
Tim,

In my presentations on the mental game of bowling, I emphasize the principle of muscle memory. Simply stated, the motions required to bowl are repetitive. This repetition becomes engrained in our subconsious mind and we no longer need to think about the positions of our hands, feet, etc to make an approach and deliver the ball. (Similar to a typist that does not need to look at a keyboard to type.) However, it only takes a misplaced thought to override muscle memory (such as working too hard to deliver the ball in the 10th frame.) To prove the principle to my higher-average students, I step in front of them on the approach and tell them to let thier mind go blank. They should look at thier target, but not aim at it. (Aiming could cause the muscles to tense and not allow muscle memory to perform.) Almost every time, they throw a strike.

So to answer your question...quiet the mind and trust your muscle memory as you step on the approach for that 10th frame strike.

One other thing...if you don't have a preshot routine...adopt one. It triggers your muscle memory.

#16377 - 04/24/01 04:47 PM Re: 10th frame choke
Rocket to the Pocket Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Some bowling center in Vermont
Also, think to yourself "the 10th frame is just another frame". Treat all your frames equally. I try to.

CCBA Director and Yankee Lanes Center League Sec'y

Not your average everyday bowler (that's for sure)

#16378 - 04/27/01 02:20 PM Re: 10th frame choke
Tiller Offline
Bumper Bowler

I have had problems with that 10th frame too.

Usually it goes like this: I glance at the sheet and notice that I'm doing great/lousy, whichever it is at the time, at just that moment I totally lose my concentration thinking the game is already over, let go a big whew, and then I go ahead and make a miserable shot.

It has a lot to do with self-confidence, at least in my case, one is afraid both to do too well, or too bad, and once you're doubtful the frame is practically lost.

It might help you, as it did help me, to ignore the scoresheet and just bowl practicelike until somebody stops you wink

Tiller

#16379 - 04/27/01 03:23 PM Re: 10th frame choke
bowl4life Offline
League Bowler

Its definitely in the mental aspect of the game, and I agree to avoid looking at the score sheet/monitor, or adding in your head what you need for a "decent" game. It is muscle memory, and the harder you try to force a good shot, the less likely you are to make one.

Bowl one frame at a time - don't look forward and don't look back. Concentrate only on the shot you are making now.

Stay positive. If you think you are going to make a bad shot because its the 10th frame - you probably will.

Good luck! wink

#16380 - 05/09/01 07:52 PM Re: 10th frame choke
Tim Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Lambertville,Mi
I want to thank everyone for the replies.
You've all given me food for thought.
I see a lot of truth in all of them. Such as
score watching! Usually I am the anchor for our team and that tends to add tension to my bowling when for example I see I'm going to need a good tenth frame to win a game. I really like the advice about quieting the mind. When I'm at my best there is almost no thought involved with the shot. When I'm at my worst my mind is like the monkey house at the zoo. smile I do have a preshot routine but it goes out the window at times like this.

Thanks,

TIm

[ 05-09-2001: Edited: Tim ]

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.