BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163194 - 02/18/12 11:59 AM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: PowerBall]
Lumpytire Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/AZ
A video would make this easier, but if you are using a 5 step approach and starting the pushaway on the first step I would venture to say that your armswing is so far head of the timing that your body wants that your arm would muscle the swing a bit to slow down the arm swing and get your body closer to in time. This muscling of the ball would slow down the speed of your arm swing (while keeping it low) and cause for the lower ball speed.

Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000)
Storm IQ Tour Fusion (@1500 polish)
Storm Reign Supreme (@2000)
DV8 Hooligan Taunt (@500 Polish)
Columbia 300 Freeze Hybrid (@1500 polish - not in bag)
Faball Blue Hammer

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#163208 - 02/18/12 07:09 PM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: PowerBall]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: TidalKnight
And I am using a free ball swing/pendulum but the backswing is so low and my ball speed is so slow. Usually around 14mph

I throw 14 on the radar. What's wrong with that?

If you want to throw it faster, lift it up higher in the pushaway and let it drop into the swing from there. I lift with my non-ball hand, so no muscles are introduced. It doesn't seem to change my timing any...

I can't help with timing. It seems to me to be something that just happens as you get better.....

Swingset's description of that particular style really opens my eyes. Others, including Coach Jim, have commented about this in the past and it never made sense until now. Just remember to square your shoulders at the line by pulling the balance arm back at the release point....

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#163209 - 02/18/12 07:40 PM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: PowerBall]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
...Maybe 14 lbs just isn't carrying well enough...

All things being equal, a 16 pounder will hit harder.

All things aren't equal, though.

My 14 pounder carries just as well as my 16 pounders, because I can put enough revs on it to hit the pocket at the steeper angle that's needed due to the deflection.

That being said, I prefer 15 pounds because it's more versatile. The lighter ball is limited to certain types of shot that can't be used, for instance, on a dry lane or a down and in shot. For me, 15 is the right weight. YRMV.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#163210 - 02/18/12 07:47 PM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: PowerBall]
Lumpytire Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/AZ
In my personal opinion 14 mph on the radar is just fine as 10pin said. The thing you have to remember about the radar is dependent on the position of the radar (when it picks up your speed) it can be as much as 2-3 mph slower than your ball speed off of your hand if the speed is read at the break point. The trick is matching your ball speed with your rev rate and playing the proper portion of the lane.

Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000)
Storm IQ Tour Fusion (@1500 polish)
Storm Reign Supreme (@2000)
DV8 Hooligan Taunt (@500 Polish)
Columbia 300 Freeze Hybrid (@1500 polish - not in bag)
Faball Blue Hammer

#163217 - 02/18/12 11:22 PM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: PowerBall]
PowerBall Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 36/M/Ca
I do have videos I just have to edit them. I posted one a few months back and some might remember how bad I was lol.. using a house ball and what not..
Night and day difference so I'm not too unhappy about where I am.

I've been trying to emulate Norm Duke and have his DVD as well so I'm learning off of that.

About revs.. I'm finally learning how to release (and how it's not about turning the hand/wrist.. it's about lifting with the fingers)... but I have no idea how high my rev rate is OR if I'm doing it at the right angle (if the rotation is is rolling towards the pins that's not good... and it doesn't look like I'm getting too much roll to a direction, how do I tell?)

#163218 - 02/18/12 11:37 PM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: 10PinGaloot]
PowerBall Offline
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: 10PinGaloot
...Maybe 14 lbs just isn't carrying well enough...

All things being equal, a 16 pounder will hit harder.

All things aren't equal, though.

My 14 pounder carries just as well as my 16 pounders, because I can put enough revs on it to hit the pocket at the steeper angle that's needed due to the deflection.

That being said, I prefer 15 pounds because it's more versatile. The lighter ball is limited to certain types of shot that can't be used, for instance, on a dry lane or a down and in shot. For me, 15 is the right weight. YRMV.

The reason I got a 14 was because I was used to house balls... now the weight of the ball seems to not be something I feel at all..

#163255 - 02/19/12 04:41 PM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: PowerBall]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
You want your arm and foot to be in time. By the time your first step (or second if you use a 5-step or whatever) compresses on the ground you want the ball to start on its way into the backswing. Simply starting the ball on the first step isn't going to cut it.

I'll let Mr. Barnes explain it better.

The Demolition Man
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#163256 - 02/19/12 04:50 PM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: PowerBall]
PowerBall Offline
Bracket Donor

Yeah, Norm Duke suggested that maybe push away on the first (of five) step and then actually transfer the ball weight to the right hand and be in the swing by the time the second step hits the floor. That might work for me.

#163276 - 02/19/12 06:53 PM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: PowerBall]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Yeah that's what I do. I transfer the weight on the first well not step, kind of slide movement. Then get into my pushaway, which is supposed to be a swinging hinge but I haven't video taped myself in a while so I don't know if I'm still doing it, LOL. By the time my second step is down I'm going into the backswing.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#163370 - 02/21/12 03:05 PM Re: So frustrated.. low ball speed, low backswing.. [Re: PowerBall]
gohuskies Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Denver, CO
Fast feet and late timing and a tendency to being speed dominant have been major challenges for me, but I really benefited from a coaching lesson I took last year at USBC Nationals with Mike Jasnau. During that single 90 minute session with video & CATS analysis, he really opened my eyes to what I needed to do to match up footwork, free armswing, speed and release. I've worked diligently over the past year with focus on these fundamentals, and I've gotten to the point where all the pieces have come together. I'm arriving at the line with much improved timing which has naturally increased my ball speed and rev rate. The other aspect which has helped immensely is focusing on keeping my hand from coming around the ball and topping the release.

I'm not where I feel I've become the bowler I want to be, but I am definitely way closer & more consistent in all phases of the game. Do you have a coach you can work with who uses CATS and video analysis? If not, I would highly recommend finding one who could help you work on solidifying your game. Or if you ever make it to Reno, you could set up a lesson with Mr. Jasnau. It did cost some $$, but it was a very worthwhile investment which is still literally paying dividends back to me now.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 03:09 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by Dennis Michael - 11/14/18 11:23 AM
Ebonite Day at my Proshop
by Dennis Michael - 11/07/18 01:11 PM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Dennis Michael - 11/03/18 10:05 AM
Gouges and scratches on bowling ball
by Dennis Michael - 10/31/18 11:54 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 10/22/18 10:42 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.