BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163343 - 02/20/12 08:24 PM dgordon new video 2/20/2012
dgordon0408 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
well i took the advice of everyone and am posting a new video, ive already decided im gonna take a break for 2 weeks maybe more, might bowl a tournament on the 3rd and 4th dont know see how i feel, right now i cant even get the feel right of the ball, in my video i noticed a few things, im still pulling the ball up, ball goes slightly behind my back, timing is off, on the side of the ball prior to release, coming around the ball instead of going through the ball, things i shouldnt be doing, i know what to do, why cant i do it? i need coaching, dont know if its worth it sometimes to waste the money, if i ever wanna go anywhere i need to fix these things and i dont think i can do it alone anymore. i wish that someone could figure out why i feel like i am losing the ball on the push away, some say tape some say ball fit, i say i have no clue. feel free to rip the video to shreds,

me bowling 3
Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#163347 - 02/20/12 10:13 PM Re: dgordon new video 2/20/2012 [Re: dgordon0408]
swingset Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 42, Male, Granville Ohio
I'm not a coach, but early in my life (and probably at about your age) I went through a lot of mechanics changes and work to sort out my swing with coaches and pros. One thing I can see that's hampering you and it's evident from swing to swing (as you're aware too) is timing. Your approach looks condensed and too much like dance steps - quick, slow, quick, slow.

The rest of what you're doing is, IMHO, small potatoes compared to your footwork which will dictate the pendulum and momentum of the ball. I'd try for a more even, natural approach with longer and more measured steps and then attack your pushaway/swing/release. If you try to fix on top of bad timing, you're going to be frustrated and confused. Plus, with a more even approach, you're going to have an easier time slowing down/speeding up your swing as needed.

One thing I'll always remember, and repeat to myself often, is that your approach and swing should feel smooth and even. If there's a stutter, or pauses, or an odd cadence, you can still bowl well but you're fighting your body and gravity to maintain consistency.

#163348 - 02/20/12 10:28 PM Re: dgordon new video 2/20/2012 [Re: dgordon0408]
dgordon0408 Offline

yeah i tried the slow slow but i think a big problem is my thumb fit so i feel like im going to drop it on my second step of 5 which is my push away so then i quicken my pace but then i realize i quickened it so i slow down but i know i have to get power and leverage so i speed up, im just so lost its not funny, i want to get to be feelign smooth and even but after a year and a half i feel like this, it makes me want to quit or go back in time a year and a half and tell myself to not start it

#163353 - 02/21/12 01:36 AM Re: dgordon new video 2/20/2012 [Re: dgordon0408]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
First of all, I'll be outright with it. Sugar coating isn't my thing really. If you wanna quit than go. A vast majority of us will wither not care or be a little saddened, maybe disappointed. But if you want to go and feel that is the best course of action, then go. If you wish to continue, than suck it up. Rome wasn't built in a day. Figure out the or a problem and take the best course of action to resolve it and realize that it may take a while. Things in real life aren't like the news. You don't jump around the country or world in seconds and events don't happen that fast. Most things take time and work. Shoot! You're lost. I've spent the last year trying to put my swing together piece by bloody piece, and I'm still not done. And that's after I spent about half a year total in the cellar working on only three things.

The attitude rant aside, on to your video. I don't think your swing plane is that bad. You are straight back in forth on most shots and the one that was way behind your back was forgivable because the line was so angular.

If your thumbhole is a problem, try tape on your hands, in the ball. Try blowing into the thumbhole that helps create some tackiness. Try putting your thumb in first and then your fingers. Worse comes to worst, go up to your driller and say, "Hey something is wrong. Not sure if it's the thumbhole or the span, but I shouldn't have 12+ pieces of tape in my thumbhole" (true story too seeingstars). Because I do see a few things that look like they are the result of grabbing the ball and trying to guide it. Slightly out of the swing slot, unbalanced at the line, release isn't all that crisp, if you have to grab the ball it'll wreck havoc on these areas.

Quick question, how does one go about losing the ball on the pushaway? And furthermore, has the ball flown off your hand mid-approach yet, you know without you grabbing it?

My biggest issue with you is your timing and footwork are so irregular. Your first shot of the video I was like, well no wonder he has problems, 3-step approaches have insanely hard timely. Then you go all the way to really good timing in the end. The last shot from behind you, you can actually see you waiting on the ball. I'd say get the ball fixed if that is the problem and work your footwork and timing. Oh for your footwork, you need to walk that tightrope and get your feet in front of each other. It'll get your hip out of the way and help fix some problems too.

And for a few smaller issues, I'd say work on getting lower with your legs so you can get the ball into the lane more. And use your [email protected] balance arm and trail leg. They are often neglected but when integrated into your game right, they can make a big difference.

Anyways, hope that helps,

The Demolition Man

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (02/21/12 01:37 AM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#163356 - 02/21/12 06:51 AM Re: dgordon new video 2/20/2012 [Re: dgordon0408]
dgordon0408 Offline

Yeah I need to get over wanting immediate success, I do wrap my thumb in turbo mint tape. By losing at pushaway when the ball drops into my swing I feel it slip so I grab, yes the ball has flown backwards recently, that might be one thing that got me grabbing more, im going to work on my foot work at home or on a lane by myself with some painters tape so I can walk the tightrope. And btw I take 5 steps not 3 lol

#163359 - 02/21/12 11:08 AM Re: dgordon new video 2/20/2012 [Re: dgordon0408]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
DG - have you tried putting tape in the ball instead of on your thumb? Oh - the ball tears up your thumb - what about working on the ball instead of your thumb?

I thought you looked pretty decent - but I did notice you playing with your thumb after every shot. I look at my fingers, but that's because the tips burn after a good shot when I get good lift. laugh "they feel like burning" LOL

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#163360 - 02/21/12 11:29 AM Re: dgordon new video 2/20/2012 [Re: dgordon0408]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
I have never seen someone float left to throw the ball right, how did you start doing that? I either see people walk the line straight, or move a little right, toward the line in which they are throwing. Are you doing it subconsciously to get your hib out of the way of your arch?
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#163361 - 02/21/12 11:50 AM Re: dgordon new video 2/20/2012 [Re: Hunter]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Dgordon I also wrap my thumb with tape, a different brand but I wrap it. At first what I did was put a piece of white tape in the front of the thumb hole and that got rid of the slip feeling from the tape. But then I discovered I could add single wrap of tape (ring)on top of the tape on my thumb right above the knuckle towards the top of the hand and it snugs it up perfect feels like I have to force my thumb in but ball will come right off at realease. As far as drifting left to throw right. Jordan does the same thing I have had four different coaches look at it and tell me its alright because his cross step is fine and his ball is very close to his ankle at finish. They said a lot of pros do that but normally its crankers which Jordan is not. Dont let down aoutings beat you up I dont knaow a bowler that has never slummped.
Mutant Cell

#163362 - 02/21/12 11:54 AM Re: dgordon new video 2/20/2012 [Re: dgordon0408]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
If you feel like your going to drop the ball go forward pitch in your thumb to the point where you can't get the ball off your hand then back it up. Go in small increments. As you go forward with your thumb you will also have to adjust your span.

Search the forms for Coach Jim's advice on the proper increments.

You can do Wiki Fits and the pro-shops can measure your hands until your fingers bleed, but every hand is different and sometimes the only way to get it right is by trial and error.

If you haven't posted the video on the other site, Jim Merrel's advice is about as good as it gets, his break downs are probably more detailed then a lot of paid services.

I would recommend loosing the cup in the setup. I know you want more revs, but I feel like a lot of times when people cup the ball as much as your doing it tenses up the arm which takes away feel, also hard to maintain that much cup throughout the swing. Watch more Mike Fagan videos on youtube, he has no cup at all and defines smooth. Norm Duke also has no cup and is very smooth. Rash, Barnes both use cup and their swings are much more mechanical.

#163367 - 02/21/12 02:05 PM Re: dgordon new video 2/20/2012 [Re: dgordon0408]
dgordon0408 Offline

I do drift left so I line up further right than I should to compensate for the drift, it also helps me play tighter lines and wider arching lines. I'm going to go forward some i think to about 3/8 forward from 1/4 forward, but as for span that could be difficult because of switch grips. I tried losing the cup but it doesn't feel right, ill try again when I come back in a few weeks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - Today at 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.