BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162414 - 02/08/12 05:50 PM Re-Drilling Question
Pre-emptive Strike Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/NY
Hey Everyone,

I知 thinking about getting one of my old entry level/dry lane balls (Columbia Scout) re-drilled to allow for more forward pitch. I知 experimenting with this ball because it was already re-drilled because the initial drilling was terrible; span was too long.

Anyway I play on dry lanes quite often and I知 thinking about getting the ball re-drilled to something similar to a 鏑abel Leverage or a 鉄tacked layout. I知 using this pdf for reference:

http://www.lanemastersbowling.com/marketing/LM_Ball%20Drilling%20Instructions.pdf

When I play on dry lanes I notice that I struggle mightily to swing the ball out and get decent carry when hitting the pocket. I want more backend reaction when swinging out to the breakpoint. I know there are other adjustments that I can make in terms of lane play, but I壇 like to optimize carry.

I致e heard others on the forum mention things like this for dry lane players so I知 asking would it make sense to go to a setup like this?

This was my first ball and it痴 drilled extremely weak because I was a brand new bowlerso I think I知 now doing things with it that it痴 no longer meant to do, if that makes any sense. (The pin is right at the CG)

Anyway all thoughts are appreciated on thisThanks guys

Summer League Average (first league): 193

High Game: 247
High Series: 645

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Storm Tropical Breeze
15# Columbia White Dot
14# Columbia Scout Reactive

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#162447 - 02/09/12 05:03 AM Re: Re-Drilling Question [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You should just plug the thumb and leave the drill pattern the way it is. Plugging and altering a ball's initial drill pattern is a stab in the dark, sometimes it works out the way you want and other times the ball reacts like garbage. If you are remotely satisfied with the ball's reaction now, then leave well enough alone and just plug the thumb and get your grip fixed first before worrying about ball reaction.

Many bowlers try to over throw the ball on dry lanes, this tenses up their swings and causes them to pull the ball across their body at the target. This happens because their shoulders open up on the back swing, then they try to force the ball to go faster by pulling the swing before the shoulders close.

If you want more speed and to hit your target, try pointing your left elbow (right elbow for lefties) at your target through your back swing, and start of the down swing, when the ball falls freely from the top of your back swing and gets down to hip level, pull the left arm back and let the right arm just follow along for the ride and watch your speed and accuracy go through the roof.

#162453 - 02/09/12 09:19 AM Re: Re-Drilling Question [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I don't think it really matters how you drill a Scout it's going to be weak and I'm not sure you will get much of a difference in reaction anyways. The Scout has a pancake core.
HS:763

#162529 - 02/10/12 11:54 AM Re: Re-Drilling Question [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Pre-emptive Strike Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/NY
Ok cool, understood...I'll just fix the pitch on the ball to get more forward and forget about the drilling layout since it probably will be irrelevant.

I don't really care for the reaction on the ball, now that I've developed some as a bowler...but I'd rather use this ball to test out my new pitch rather than on something that I use more frequently.

Coach Jim, I'll be sure to try out some of those tips to improve my physical game. I feel as if I need to be more accurate in order to hit the pocket on these lanes...

Summer League Average (first league): 193

High Game: 247
High Series: 645

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Storm Tropical Breeze
15# Columbia White Dot
14# Columbia Scout Reactive

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - Yesterday at 07:05 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.