BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161805 - 01/30/12 02:01 PM Southeast Bowling Association
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
As I progress, I want to get some experience in tournaments in different conditions. I can't find any tournaments in the Jacksonville, FL area so I am looking elsewhere. I came across one in Greenville, SC, but I don't understand how bowling tournaments work.

How/why does a tournament take over 1 month? June 6 - July 15? Does this mean they just have a revolving standing? Meaning, I come bowl my singles on June 6, but won't know my place until after July 15? I just assumed a tournament would be a bracket format, where, say 100 bowlers bowl a series, and the top 50 advance. Etcetera, etcetera.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#161809 - 01/30/12 02:12 PM Re: Southeast Bowling Association [Re: Hunter]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

Hey DG - you live in the Lake Mary area...on bowling300.com there's a tournament at AMF Altamonte lanes, handicap singles. Have you done that one before?
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:

#161811 - 01/30/12 02:21 PM Re: Southeast Bowling Association [Re: Hunter]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Hunter, there are a lot of youth tournaments in my area, many are single day tournaments, some as long as a weekend with a format as you said, top so and so advance.

The best is the Loschetter Tournament, run by Mary Loschetter (PBA bowler Chris Loschetter's mom) and they host tournaments all over FL.

They have a Facebook page so might be a good place to start.

There is also the Southeastern Scholarship Tour that hosts quite a few tournies a year.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#161814 - 01/30/12 02:50 PM Re: Southeast Bowling Association [Re: Hunter]
dgordon0408 Offline

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
No hunter i havent bowled that one, being youth still i havent bowled that one, but i might bowl it this time seeing that im considering giving up my youth eligibility and bowl adult
Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

#161816 - 01/30/12 02:52 PM Re: Southeast Bowling Association [Re: Hunter]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

As much fun as being a youth would be again, at 29 I am not sure I would qualify for them smile
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:

#161820 - 01/30/12 04:36 PM Re: Southeast Bowling Association [Re: Hunter]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Oh, sorry hunter I had you confused with DG for some reason lol.

Around here there are two major tournaments for adult bowlers to participate in.

the UBA and the ABT both have a tour that travels throughout FL and I believe GA.

You can also bowl in things like your county tournament, state tournament (handicapped for both) and the like. These are great options.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#161831 - 01/30/12 06:50 PM Re: Southeast Bowling Association [Re: Hunter]
dgordon0408 Offline

hey sk8, you have an opinion on me moving on up to adults rather than bowl youth anymore, i know i can bowl youth till 21 and can qualify for jr gold, but i hate my youth league, it literally kills my overall average, i get down because i dont like the people on my team. i just kinda wanna get away from it, opinion?

#161860 - 01/31/12 08:14 AM Re: Southeast Bowling Association [Re: Hunter]
sk8shorty01 Offline

dgordon,

I attempt to always tell our youth's that they should really consider staying in as opposed to moving up to adult leagues, especially because it sounds like its not the youth part you don't like, just the league in general. I can promise you adult leagues can be just as frustrating when you have people that are being just as immature, inconsiderate, and sometimes even hostile.

Adult leagues range from very social (pizza and beer leagues) to extremely competitive (classic league) but you will get both extreme types of bowlers in every league you join. I doubt the adult league will get you away from the madness you dislike. Its going to be there from time to time.

What about searching for another youth league? There is the option (right now) to bowl collegiate-ly but if you jump to adult you are losing that opportunity. Just something to consider.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#161864 - 01/31/12 08:35 AM Re: Southeast Bowling Association [Re: Hunter]
dgordon0408 Offline

Only problem is next closest centers are Ormond, and then the Seminole county and orange county centers, all are a long way to drive for youth, and yes collegiate is still an option, I do want to still compete in the youth tournaments but I can't even get into half of them because my youth average is that bad because I can never focus and the environment isn't fitting, when im not with my team and im focusing I bowl really well but otherwise in league im horrible, my league literally has us practice for 15 minutes then does 30 min of announcements before we can bowl, so no one is still loose

#161868 - 01/31/12 09:05 AM Re: Southeast Bowling Association [Re: Hunter]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

As Sk8 said, you will definitely run into annoyances in Adult Leagues. You'll have teams that don't pay attention, they run around the alley talking to their friends so you struggle because you are [censored] they aren't bowling on pace. Sure, you can make comments to them, but they won't be mature about it.

You should probably take this time in your youth league to work on a routine and focus. Practice relaxing your mental side so that these nuances won't be an issue in tournaments or Collegiate/Adult leagues.

You do have the skills, bowling really well in the Virtual League. I guess you do that on THS by yourself. Just work on that mental game and overcome some of those distractions. A routine on the approach really goes a long way in helping that.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.