BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161199 - 01/19/12 06:26 PM Problems with my brand new bowling shoes
prov1x_nxt Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 24/m/portsmouth ohio
My brand new bowling shoes will not slide at all. The shoe has almost like a carpet like texture on the bottom. I took a wire brush to the shoe and a bunch of fabric fell off of the shoe but the shoe still has a fabric like texture on the slide. What is this and is there any possible way to fix the shoe?

Hammer Black Widow Sting 16lbs
Hammer Epidemic 16lbs
Storm Tropical Heat Blue/Indigo 16lbs
900 Global The Eagle 16lbs
Hammer Faball 16lbs
AMF Villain 16lbs
Brunswick T-zone 16lbs

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#161201 - 01/19/12 06:33 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
dgordon0408 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
well most shoes come with a microfiber slide, it depends on the shoes, if you got something with interchangeable slides you could always go to a slicker slide, if you bought universal shoes, you could always go to your Pro Shop and ask about a shoe slider, its fabric but its really slick. i know on my 3g tour ultras i use the cleated sole with teflon in the front, the black/unknown material int he middle, and the red/unknown material on the back cleats, and then i use the ridge heel to ease me into a slow stop to help me with my balance, also if you want to try the brush again before you buy new shoes brush lengthwise on the shoe instead of widthwise, by brushing length wise youre allowing the fiber things to move in the way your shoe is moving not the opposite way
Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

#161203 - 01/19/12 07:05 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
This is my take on slide issues. People tend to slide like they walk. What i mean is if you walk heel first then you will tend to slide heel first and no shoe adjustment will cure this. The only way to fix this is to recognize how you walk and how you need to walk. Most high dollar shoes have an elavated heel pad and that will only make it harder to slide if the pad of the slide foot (toe area) isn't absorbing the majority of the slide first.

If you want to check and see if this may be your problem then that is simple. Put some powder on your heel and throw a normal shot. If you slip then you now know why. Be careful...

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#161206 - 01/19/12 07:39 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: metguy
This is my take on slide issues. People tend to slide like they walk. What i mean is if you walk heel first then you will tend to slide heel first and no shoe adjustment will cure this. The only way to fix this is to recognize how you walk and how you need to walk.

I agree most sliding issues are due to technique, or lack there of. While every step up until the slide should be your typical heel-toe step, but the slide should be toe first to promote the slide, with the heel coming down a split second later. Coming down heel first just ends up making you stop short, and then that causes other issues in the physical game.

Most high dollar shoes have an elavated heel pad and that will only make it harder to slide if the pad of the slide foot (toe area) isn't absorbing the majority of the slide first.

If by high dollar you mean Etonics, I'd have to agree. But all of the Dexter or 3G shoes I've seen the heel is similar to the typical universal shoe. Etonics tend to have that huge heel though.

If you want to check and see if this may be your problem then that is simple. Put some powder on your heel and throw a normal shot. If you slip then you now know why. Be careful...

I used to bowl in a league with a bowler that did that all the time. His whole slide was done leaning back on the heel. He would have the Power Slide sitting under his chair, normally the back table on the carpet and would step all in it and trace it up to and on the approaches. One night bowling against this team, my brother who was on my team literally fell backwards 3 times during the first game. Finally the president reluctantly made the bowler stop using it after my brother complained a couple times and I finally went down and got into it with the president. The offending bowler complained he couldn't slide without it. I say the president was reluctant, because he would selectively enforce rules to try to stay at the top of the standings, and both seasons in that league we were near the top with them. I seen him do something similar things to other teams that were just as competitive.

Originally Posted By: prov1x_nxt
My brand new bowling shoes will not slide at all. The shoe has almost like a carpet like texture on the bottom. I took a wire brush to the shoe and a bunch of fabric fell off of the shoe but the shoe still has a fabric like texture on the slide. What is this and is there any possible way to fix the shoe?

What shoes do you have? Even with good slide technique some shoes could be problematic. Some shoes the heels need broken in too. Walk on carpet with them dragging the heel a little, just be careful not to step on anything that could get on the sole. Preferably do it at home. It helps scuff the heel up and makes the heel where it won't grab immediately.
HS:763

#161210 - 01/19/12 10:15 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
prov1x_nxt Offline
Junior Coach

they are cheap Dexters. ricky II blacks i believe. it has nothing to do with my slide technique... if it was my slide technique i would have problems with all shoes. a friend said to put water on the soles and it would harden, then i could work the soles out. any ideas?

Hammer Epidemic 16lbs
Hammer Faball 16lbs
AMF Villain 16lbs
Brunswick T-zone 16lbs

#161304 - 01/22/12 04:22 AM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
My brand new bowling shoes will not slide at all. ...

I didn't think I was sliding at all until I took a video of myself bowling. I was quite surprised to see a 1 foot slide!

But after 5 years of trying to learn this sport, I finally realized the importance of keeping my bowling shoes clean and dry. I now have a wire brush, and booties for when I have to visit the men's room. (Men are slobs, they pee all over the floor where I bowl).

#161331 - 01/22/12 07:54 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: brettbolt]
prov1x_nxt Offline
Junior Coach

Originally Posted By: brettbolt

I didn't think I was sliding at all until I took a video of myself bowling. I was quite surprised to see a 1 foot slide!

But after 5 years of trying to learn this sport, I finally realized the importance of keeping my bowling shoes clean and dry. I now have a wire brush, and booties for when I have to visit the men's room. (Men are slobs, they pee all over the floor where I bowl).

what does any of this have to do with my post?

Hammer Epidemic 16lbs
Hammer Faball 16lbs
AMF Villain 16lbs
Brunswick T-zone 16lbs

#161335 - 01/22/12 10:18 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: prov1x_nxt]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: brettbolt

what does any of this have to do with my post?

I think what he was trying to say is you might be sliding more than you think you are. That's the first part of it anyways. The rest is just some experiences of some issues that could happen.

By the way, how are the shoes doing? Getting any more slide?
HS:763

#161337 - 01/22/12 11:10 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Could be many reasons:

They may be cheap shoes, but do they have leather soles? If so, walk around the house wearing them, expecially on carpeting.
Used to be an old trick before replacement soles became vogue.

I don' know about a water treatment, but I use a wire brush on the soles of my shoes.

Are they clean? The heal get dirty and needs to be cleaned. Use alcohol on the heal.

Are you sliding on the heal more then the sole? The sole slides and the heal stops. If your heal is down in the slide, you won't. Could be a balance issue.

As I said, outside of an inexpensive pair that won't do what you expect, there are other reasons.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#161388 - 01/23/12 09:36 PM Re: Problems with my brand new bowling shoes [Re: Dennis Michael]
prov1x_nxt Offline
Junior Coach

they are brand new out of the box. I took them straight from the box to my feet to the lanes with no slide. so back into the box and around my house on my carpet. back in the box, from the box to my feet on the lanes still nothing. like i said before they have a fabric like texture and also when i take a wire brush to them this all flakes off but its endless. and for the third or fourth time if it was my technique why can i slide in any other pair of shoes including the exactly same kind of shoes. but in other words no one knows what this is. best i can figure is they got wet in the factory or something. I dont know... i havent tried anything except the wire brush.

Hammer Epidemic 16lbs
Hammer Faball 16lbs
AMF Villain 16lbs
Brunswick T-zone 16lbs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10:28 PM
Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
by trekguy - 01:40 PM
The Weak Ten pin?
by steveA - 10/21/14 07:11 PM
Adding new ball to the arsenal
by spectral - 10/21/14 10:16 AM
Fall '14 Week 6 virtual league results
by SteveH - 10/20/14 08:26 PM
Help choosing a new ball
by Cray - 10/20/14 12:45 AM
1500 abralon pad
by Dave800 - 10/19/14 07:58 PM
First Day with the Storm Crux
by SteveH - 10/19/14 06:50 PM
New ball purchase question
by SteveH - 10/19/14 10:10 AM
anyone in Ct.?
by 6_ball_man - 10/19/14 09:11 AM
Bowling Links
by BOSStull - 10/19/14 08:35 AM
Chance to win a Storm Crux!
by BOSStull - 10/19/14 07:14 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.