BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160662 - 01/11/12 10:48 AM What's with the hate on the Shorties?
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
We're late this year on my Kegel Challenge/Sport league with Boardwalk, and while this excites me, I learned that pretty much everyone else hates the pattern--really any shorty. Schedule director hates 'em, too, and she had deliberately procrastinated this quarter later than last year.

And I mean, millions suns of white hot hate. Not the usual, "Ugh, I hate this pattern. I can't score well. Woe is me. Wah. Oooh, beer!"

More like, "I !*&@# this !#^&@ shot, and if we @&!*$ have it &*!(#$ next *!%**! week, I'm #!*~$ outta this @!*!#$ league! It makes me !%&*# hate !&!%* bowling."

Oh, and to think I looked forward to it as it's the only pattern I feel remotely confident playing, and full credit to that goes to CoachJim and Ron Clifton for insisting that playing Zone 1/Twig is absolutely fundamental for any versatility. Crucial. It's part of warm up sequence.

So I get excited about last night, tell a coupla new guys that's a fun shot, keep a weaker/urethane ball 5-1 at target and race it up the outs. Adjust speed as necessary. Cautious on foot move left. Spares may be tricky so just throw strongly and straight at them. Easy peasy.

I was just fine. Stayed out and worked down the transition properly per training. Won all points. Happy. Yay.

Walked over to my buds who were still playing, and they were just seething. As were their opponents. Pretty much every one else around except for the league director. She had a good night and was noncommittal.

Buds were all lots of "WHY?! Why is ____ happening? Why is THIS going on!? WHY WHY WHY! I hate this. I can't believe you said this was cool. This isn't the least bit fun at all. I want to quit bowling if this is how it's going to be. I really hate you right now."

Whoa. I thought everyone liked Shorties. We never really talk about 'em here, but what's the general attitude with you all? Don't like the lack of hold? Not a concern? What?

Edited by Domokun (01/11/12 10:49 AM)

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#160667 - 01/11/12 12:04 PM Re: What's with the hate on the Shorties? [Re: Domokun]
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/m/Md
Nothing wrong with shorter stuff you just have to stay consistent with speed and like any other pattern play the correct line for you. I struggle on some more then others but I wouldn't say I hate any specific pattern.

#160676 - 01/11/12 01:28 PM Re: What's with the hate on the Shorties? [Re: Domokun]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
wow - I thought people would LOVE shorter patterns. I do. They're fun.

Well, but then I try to enjoy any pattern, including reverse block. If it makes me think, it's a good pattern. laugh

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#160679 - 01/11/12 01:38 PM Re: What's with the hate on the Shorties? [Re: Domokun]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
I like short much more than long, only because I don't practice on long much so it throws me off. I am not used to my stance being inside 23 board, and, like last night, it was SO wet and long I was on the 18 board throwing almost like a down&in ball frown
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#160682 - 01/11/12 02:33 PM Re: What's with the hate on the Shorties? [Re: Hunter]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I like all sorts of patterns. The variety, I find is very fun and a change up from the status quo. It really shows you how good (or bad) you really are. A test in consistent versatility is what makes a bowler or any athlete great really. I will confess that I bowl better on the shorter patterns than the the longer ones because I have a bit more trouble with oil than when the lanes are dryer.

As for the topic at hand, I can see why most people hate these patterns and it's because the patterns that they bowl well on save their butts a whole bunch and make it easier to read the lanes. The Versatility and Consistency and the combined value of them aren't a practiced part of their game. Although, you don't get to practice on tough shots everyday so that makes it a bit hard to work them out. But I still work in the 1-13 board area usually in practice. Going across the lane is still a bit of a problem for me but I can manage it. X-P

I don't get it either Domo. nut
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#160683 - 01/11/12 02:49 PM Re: What's with the hate on the Shorties? [Re: mmalsed]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
Originally Posted By: mmalsed
wow - I thought people would LOVE shorter patterns. I do. They're fun.

Thanks for that. I'm not living in Bizarro World after all, then.

40+' flat? No complaint. 35-' flooded with a stripped backend? Fire. Brimstone. Cats and dogs sleeping together.

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
Well, but then I try to enjoy any pattern, including reverse block. If it makes me think, it's a good pattern. laugh

Agreed (for the most part...not fond of reverse block outside of scheduled patterns).

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#160686 - 01/11/12 05:02 PM Re: What's with the hate on the Shorties? [Re: Domokun]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Short patterns, tapered, dry outside boards, is bumper bowling. You swing the ball, without much accuracy. You have a lot of play room. You experience the dreaded 'over/under', and don't know why.

I much prefer a longer, flat, heavily oiled pattern, like Shark, Scorpion, and Dead Man's Curve. These take experience and consistency. This is true Sport rather then playing.

If I could get the oil all the way down the lane, I'd like that too. Just like the old Shellac lanes of yesteryear. Takes the ball out of the equation, and relies on bowler ability.

I know that will gat a rebuttal.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#160693 - 01/11/12 06:40 PM Re: What's with the hate on the Shorties? [Re: Domokun]
MikeHL Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
Originally Posted By: Domokun
Thanks for that. I'm not living in Bizarro World after all, then.

Ah, Domo. Not so fast. You are. ...but we have come to like your personal brand of looniness. nut

I'm with you, BTW. Most of the players around me that have bowled on sport patterns HATE HATE HATE short patterns. It's almost universal, and I don't understand it. I happen to like them, but maybe because they tend to suit my game (such as it is -- hard and straight through the heads up the outside comes easily to me). Boardwalk is my personal favorite sport-compliant pattern among those I've tried. The PBA Shark is my least favorite to compete on, but I like practicing on it because it forces me to work on an area of the sport in which I'm dreadfully weak. I'm the sort of player who finds something to like about whatever he's bowling on.

Edit: On the two or three occasions I've tried the USBC Open Championships pattern, I've found it to be much more playable than I'd been led to believe. Have to play a very different area of the lane from the one I like, but once I roll a few shots on it I start to get the hang of it. Have not tried the U.S. Open pattern yet. That one will be interesting whenever I hit up that one for the first time.

Edited by MikeHL (01/11/12 06:45 PM)
-- Mika Koivuniemi

#160710 - 01/11/12 09:09 PM Re: What's with the hate on the Shorties? [Re: Domokun]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
I used to prefer long patterns to short patterns. After a few troublesome tournaments on short and dry patterns, I worked on increasing ball speed and projection and now I don't really care what I bowl on. As long as it's not a house shot. Friggin over-under. frown
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

#160711 - 01/11/12 09:15 PM Re: What's with the hate on the Shorties? [Re: Domokun]
dgordon0408 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
i actually prefer medium patterns because they match my game the best, like most people, but i prefer long over short because when long breaks down you can ball down, when short breaks down i usually have to add speed and i cant add more speed without forcing so usually end up getting frustrated and just start spraying the ball everywhere
Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.