BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160128 - 01/03/12 10:25 AM League Secretary responsibilities?
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
I'm a pretty organized person. I am big into spreadsheets and reports, making experiences more interesting for members. I was wondering what is involved with being a League Secretary for a Bowling season.

The treasurer is in charge of money, right?

The secretary deals with recording the scores at the end of the night, and maybe any "drama" related to bowlers being out or missing in action?

I believe they get compensated, probably just enough to make up what the league costs over the course of the season.

I want to be more involved in my league, but before I volunteer I want to learn more about what is involved. More importantly, make sure that my role does not impact my focus while bowling.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#160162 - 01/03/12 05:08 PM Re: League Secretary responsibilities? [Re: Hunter]
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
As long as you take care of things before everything starts, being a secretary shouldn't impact your focus while bowling. (Treasurer, on the other hand, can be a distracting job because there will invariably be some team which forgets to turn in their envelope until the 4th frame of game two and then you have to count it up.)

If you use the software program for secretaries, it will make up your standings sheet and recap sheets before the night begins, so that makes your job much easier.

The things you need to do every league night:

Post and/or distribute the league standing sheet.

Acquire the pre-bowl sheets from the desk and enter all of those scores before handing out the recap sheets.

Take care of substitutes (including changing the team's average and handicap) and note the changes on the sheet. (This often involves checking the yearbook if you have a sub who shows up for the first time and needs average verification.)

Calculating average and adjusting the handicap after the night is over for those bowlers who have to establish by bowling 3 games.

Ensure that you have every recap sheet in your possession before leaving the center, and tracking down teams who haven't turned theirs in.

Update the league records with the figures from the recap sheets.

(Recommended) post the updated standings on bowl.com and/or bowling league secretary website as soon as possible.

Manually enter lane assignments for position rounds based on league rules. (Do the 1st and 2nd place teams always bowl on lanes 1-2, or do you rotate? If 1st place is decided, does 2 bowl 3, or do you need to have first and last decided to do this?)

Handle USBC sanctioning for every bowler who participates in the league, including substitutes.

Submit award scores to the local association.

Submit the league roster at the beginning of the season to the association/USBC and update the list (with team lineup changes and subs) over the course of the season.

Submit the final average list for ALL bowlers who bowled in the league (not just the 21+ game people) to the association at the conclusion of the season.

You'll also have to settle disputes about misplaced pre-bowl scores and answer dumb questions from people who don't know the league rules such as can a late bowler catch up if he arrives during the 7th frame, but hopefully this is rare.

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

#160164 - 01/03/12 05:20 PM Re: League Secretary responsibilities? [Re: Hunter]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
If you want to read what the duties really are for a secretary then go to bowl.com and find the rules book. It outlines it pretty well. In many leagues the secretary and treasure are the same person and therefore has to do the jobs of both. Most of the leagues in my area, the sec/treas pretty much passes out the envelops, standing sheets and recaps at the beginning of the night and then has the envelops and recaps brought back to them, usually the envelops earlier in the night. Then they count the money in the envelops, and since most of the leagues bank with the center, turn the money over to the center who then also counts it. The recaps also are turned in and the center does the standing sheets. That's how it is done here in almost every league I've bowled in. The pay varies. Most of the time it's a set amount per a bowler per a night. For instance the sec/treas. in my current Saturday league gets 25 cents a night per a bowler, which might not sound like much. But it is also a league with 46 teams of 5 people for 36 weeks. So 46*5*.25*36=2880. The league fee is $20 a week or $720 for the season. So it pays to be the secretary for this league, and a few seasons ago it was actually 50 cents a bowler but I think the secretary at that time only took what it cost to cover his bowling and any expenses for the the office and left the rest to the prize fund.
HS:763

#160185 - 01/03/12 06:49 PM Re: League Secretary responsibilities? [Re: Hunter]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
Actually, Calvin, the document he wants is the League Operations Handbook, which is also on bowl.com, I believe.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#160186 - 01/03/12 07:50 PM Re: League Secretary responsibilities? [Re: Hunter]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Actually, he can look in the rule book to find the duties of a league secretary. It's on page 39. The League Operations Handbook, which is also on bowl.com as you believe, goes more into detail of how you can run the league, meetings and so on but the rule book explains the duties of the league officers.
HS:763

#160202 - 01/03/12 10:48 PM Re: League Secretary responsibilities? [Re: Hunter]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
This is awesome information. I can't wait to read it. I don't think our league officers take the rules and voting as serious as they should. I don't recall being asked a lot of the questions mentioned in this post, and others spread around the forum.

My past 2 leagues had a "league meeting" but that only took a few minutes at the beginning of the first bowling night. Not much was involved, and I don't think many of the bowlers really cared to participate in the voting. This league I am in isn't very serious though, it's what the Center even calls their "fun" league. Maybe the more serious league on Thursdays is more detailed.

Thanks for the detailed information JW123, and I will look at the rule book/Handbook tomorrow at work since we are so slow these days.

All those responsibilities/tasks you mention seem to be manageable before bowling commences, with the exception of collecting and adding the envelopes up. I understand your "dumb" question comment, but I don't know if there are dumb questions unless the same person asks multiple times smile

Those type of "dumb" questions can be remedied by simply handing out a common question FAQ at the beginning of the league. A one page question and answer for those "dumb" questions, and the bowlers can simply leave it in their bowling bag for reference.

I like the LeagueSecretary.com website/software, I haven't used it personally but from the looks of it, bowlers can log on that website and get very detailed information on their league. It seems like it would give the secretary more customization rather than a simple email with a pdf document.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#160203 - 01/03/12 10:51 PM Re: League Secretary responsibilities? [Re: Hunter]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
OK, so both are actually useful (not that the rulebook isn't already). smile
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#160216 - 01/04/12 11:58 AM Re: League Secretary responsibilities? [Re: Richie V.]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Im the league secreatary on my Monday night league and I also do the tresurer duties. At first it did distract me from my bowling as mentioned above getting the envelopes in and counted up can be a nightmare, I swear my sons youth league is 10 ten times more responcible then the 49 adults I deal with. But now that I am getting used to it I find its a good experince and has helped me learn more about the sport I love. My biggest tip would be dont sweat the small stuff you have to be there until the last ball is rolled any way so you have time to done what needs done.
Mutant Cell

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.