BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160044 - 01/01/12 03:30 AM Tournament bowlers, Please help
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Anyone have any advice for bowling in tournaments compared to regular leagues? Last tournament i got into (5 yrs ago), I was lost the entire time. Do you need to change the grit or slow down the ball speed or do you just leave your equipment alone and play certain lines? My accuracy has improved so i think i may be able to do better but i have no experience to fall back on.

I was thinking i'd practice throwing my Blue Hammer on tight inside lines to try simulating what i think i will see in ball reaction, is this a good plan for practicing? This GIBA tournament is in my home center on the last sunday of febuary. I feel 2 months is enough time to prepare, how should i go about preparring?

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#160051 - 01/01/12 07:32 AM Re: Tournament bowlers, Please help [Re: metguy]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
In order to do any surface prep to a ball you would have to know what the pattern is going to be. If you were to dull equipment up and then end up with a light or short pattern, you have early roll out to contend with. If you go polished and the pattern is long and/or heavy then a squirty break point reaction. There is also a matter of if it's broken up into squads and if they are re-oiling between squads, which doesn't happen too often, and which squad you will be on.

If you can't find out what the pattern would be then depending on the number of balls you are planning to take with you or you even own, it's best to have a minimum of 4 including a plastic ball if you use one. You would want a dull heavy oil ball, a controlled middle of the road benchmark ball, then a weak ball for if the lanes are a bit on the dry side. If you have multiple balls in any category and they have different reaction shapes that is a plus since one type of reaction might work better. You can also then have multiple surfaces.

Only way to really prep for any tournament is just to hone your skills. Practice throwing multiple lines, even if you can't strike on the practice condition. You just need the confidence that you can throw the ball across a certain arrow and get it out down lane, or play up close to the gutter. Accuracy is going to be the major factor especially if strikes are going to be hard to come by. Even when the USBC Open Championship pattern is announced and centers put it down for their bowlers for practice, it plays a bit differently once at the tournament. The tournament lanes topography is different, they are often brand new lanes with a few exceptions, while most will be practicing on 10+ year old lanes. So Execution and lane reading skills are paramount.

Of course most importantly have fun. I'm assuming this is either the state or local association tournament. So take a chance to see how others, maybe even some very accomplished bowlers from around the state bowl and some of the things they do to stay focused on the game but still keep it light.
HS:763

#160052 - 01/01/12 08:52 AM Re: Tournament bowlers, Please help [Re: metguy]
metguy Offline
Legend

The Greater Iowa Bowling Association is one of the top bowling associations in the state. Bowlers like Tom Hess and Shannon Buchin are regular participants. The last tournament listed (before the one i plan to compete in) is at the end of this month an hour and a half away. I may go and watch that one while taking some notes.

Now that i'm thinking, i did throw a lot faster back then. With my slower ball speed and improved accuracy that may give me quite a different look (as far as ball reaction) from what i seen the first time around.

(CCWBRA)

#160056 - 01/01/12 02:11 PM Re: Tournament bowlers, Please help [Re: metguy]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You should be able to find out what the oil pattern is. It shouldn't be a secret. Generally, around here, we bowl on what is termed the House Tournament Shot. It's a 5/1 oil ratio and not very long, about 39'. Lanes are not reoiled between squads or after qualifying into match play. So, there is definitely a need for multiple balls.

I generally carry a Particle Reactive, Hybrid, a particle pearl and a pearl. I don't carry a spare ball, as I use my hybrid with a dead hand.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#160058 - 01/01/12 02:39 PM Re: Tournament bowlers, Please help [Re: Dennis Michael]
metguy Offline
Legend

Thanks Dennis. I have just one question left for you. What do you think would happen if you used your THS equipment on this 5/1 pattern?

(CCWBRA)

#160060 - 01/01/12 03:28 PM Re: Tournament bowlers, Please help [Re: metguy]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
According to the rule that you subtract 31 from the oil length, you should exit the oil pattern on the 8th board. In that, my particle reactive would be too strong, so I stay with my 2 mid balls, the hybrid or particle pearl which are my THS balls. When the lanes really break down late, I will use my pearl.

Course, there are exceptions, like, if all on the lanes are on the same or similar line, I will use my stronger ball and move inside of them with a break at 8 or farther.

And, with carrydown late, I will also go to my stronger ball as it ignores carrydown and rolls right through it. So again, I will cross other's lines to the pocket. As the back end will be largely untouched from that angle.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#160062 - 01/01/12 03:59 PM Re: Tournament bowlers, Please help [Re: Dennis Michael]
metguy Offline
Legend

man, when i threw in that one tournament, my ball didn't hook one board. Its got me paranoid, spooked. Was there an out of bounds? I don't even remember what i used. All i remember is i threw it a lot faster back then. I'm going to have to erase this from my memory and start from scratch (like i wasn't going to be starting from scratch already).

I will find out what the shot will be tuesday since the site doesn't have that info posted yet. The one guarantee is there will be spares to throw at. THAT, i can practice (with plastic) now. I'm gonna need a lot of help...

(CCWBRA)

#160137 - 01/03/12 12:09 PM Re: Tournament bowlers, Please help [Re: metguy]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
Just curious, and I don't mean to steer this off-topic...but what kind of Tournament is this? I know nothing about bowling tournaments except the ones on TV which are head 2 head.

Are all Tournaments like this? They are probably all scratch, too, right? So if you aren't able to bowl 220+ consistently over 3 games, it probably wouldn't be worth it, right?

I can't imagine there are many handicap tournaments with the possibility of people sandbagging, right?
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#160143 - 01/03/12 01:37 PM Re: Tournament bowlers, Please help [Re: metguy]
metguy Offline
Legend

Yeah, its scratch. In the last tournament, only four bowlers averaged over 200 in qualifying and one in the finals. It demands your best in not only accuracy, but ball speed and spare conversion consistancies.

For me (at this point) its not about winning. Its about entering into a field of bowlers who want the challenge and experience of bowling on a demanding and non-forgiving pattern.

(CCWBRA)

#160147 - 01/03/12 01:57 PM Re: Tournament bowlers, Please help [Re: metguy]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
Nothing is better than that fire and passion running through your veins in 1on1 competition. Good luck to you!!

Our lanes recently got remodeled and they now track your ball speed on the computer screens. I came in pretty consistent in the 17.x mph range, but my spare was significantly faster...lol.

Maybe i'll work on those consistency things before trying to find a tournament to get that "thrill" down here in Jacksonville.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.