BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60598 - 07/02/08 07:30 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: johnw1]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I am not a fan of any one ball manufacturer - I do have 2 Brunswick balls that do what I bought and drilled them to do.

I could have filled those holes in my arsenal with another manufacturer - the Avalanche was probably going to be a Street Rod until my terrible Demo Days experience. The Total I got because I entered a pro-am and it was $100.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#60601 - 07/02/08 07:37 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: johnw1]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
The straw is there to locate the mass bias and hold the core in place during the manufacturing process. The drill bit must have hit it when drilling the thumb hole and tore it out, it is only about 1/8" piece of solid plastic rod, not a straw, and shouldn't bother your ball reaction in the least. I didn't post to your other thread because if you don't like it send it back, what am I going to say to change your mind.

I have seen drillings that have hit the pin and the same thing happens, sometimes it cracks out, sometimes it doesn't, but the mb indicator pin is not as detrimental as having the locator pin drilled out, the worst thing that will happen is the remaining mb pin or "straw" comes out and you have a vent hole to your thumb.

#60602 - 07/02/08 07:38 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I was like cgeorg. I had balls that did what I wanted them to do, and I got balls as prizes. but, I am happy that my Pro Shop recommended the ball that started my allegiance to one company. Although, I still find that One Company does not fill all the holes, and other brands still are needed.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#60610 - 07/02/08 09:04 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: Dennis Michael]
cgeorg Offline

Another part of it is that some companies tend to have certain characteristics that carry over their whole line. Lane masters - longevity, better through carrydown, even hook, etc. Their particle balls are tough to beat. MoRich makes very aggressive cores, and tend to have good heavy oil balls. Brunswick - earlier, even rollers. Both the Avalanche and Twisted Fury are in the 7 or 8 range on sport shots as rated by BTM. That is really good, and is why I went with the Avalanche. However, one other hole I am trying to fill in my arsenal is a very aggressive pearl ball, to go long and snap hard, but from a pretty deep inside line. For that, I will most likely be going with Storm, because they tend to do that sort of ball very well.

Buy a reaction, not a brand. The brand can influence the reaction, and should be taken into account, but it should not be the main reason.

#60612 - 07/02/08 09:22 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Granted, cgeorg. I still use my Scorchin Inferno from Brunswick on longer, heavy oil patterns, and I rely on my Storm Shift for medium lane conditions. These two just work for me.

But, there others in those lines that don't work, for me that is.

Balls have to fit your game. If that is mostly 1 manufacturer, than so be it. For the most part, different balls work best.

#60635 - 07/02/08 02:24 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
Coach,

When first discussing the wormhole situation with Karl Wolf, my driller, he said that he would be meeting with a Brunswick representative that same week in Buffalo NY. It was the Brunswick rep that labeled the plastic rod you describe as a "straw".

In any case, another reason why I decided to keep the ball was, other than the wormhole, everything else in terms of pin distance and top weight, was to my satisfaction. This hasn't always been so when ordering off of the internet.

The mass bias locator pin is still in place so I suspect that the rod or straw was sheared off towards the bottom half of the thumbhole as the wormhole is on the perimeter of thumbhole in my thumbslug. The edge of the locator pin is a hair over 5/16" or 21/64" from the edge of the thumbslug. The wormhole wasn't visible when I first inspected the ball as it was filled with particles left over from drilling.

#60636 - 07/02/08 02:30 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: johnw1]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Isn't the straw supposed to lead to the pin placement on the surface? Does it in your ball? Can you tell the continuation direction of the worm hole to the pin?

#69615 - 10/28/08 03:14 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: Dennis Michael]
Vincent123 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 19/M/CA
I'm starting to build a new arsenal. Looking to put a storm x factor and a storm x factor deuce in it. Can someone tell me which ball is pearlized or solid.

There was a link someone posted earlier with tips on building an arsenal, and it said i needed a pearlized, solid, and a particle ball.

#69620 - 10/28/08 03:53 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: Vincent123]
cgeorg Offline

Almost no one makes particle coverstocks anymore. Most of the heavy oil balls these days are strong solid reactives.

#69649 - 10/28/08 08:00 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: cgeorg]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
^Which is why I'm holding onto my hand-me-down Ebonite Predator lol! Particle balls are hard to come by now and having one in my arsenal is a nice bonus, even if it doesn't always get the attention it deserves. Speaking of particle balls, an Ebonite Stringer Low Flare Particle caught my eye the other day while just randomly searching up retired balls. I have no idea how to go about searching for a retired ball or whether or not its really even possible. Since we're on the topic of particle balls, anyone know how to find retired balls in today's modern ball market?

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 34 minutes 15 seconds ago
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 50 minutes 34 seconds ago
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - Today at 10:16 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.