BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159568 - 12/17/11 10:06 PM My video
GoBucks Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 30/M/Ohio
I am trying to figure out what is causing my inconsistency besides lack of practice and bowling only once per week.

I have been very erratic and i'm wondering if it is something fundamental.

I apologize for the video. I do think that there is enough here to analyze swing and release though.

I've noticed that every ball i have seems to be rolling very early on me. I'm using an old total inferno in this video. I just purchased a storm frantic and it may be a little too much ball for me. I don't feel like i can get any more left due to the ball return.

The other thing i noticed is that i look at my mark the whole time (except for when the ball goes in motion and blocks my view) but i don't always see the ball roll over my mark.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#159573 - 12/18/11 01:09 AM Re: My video [Re: GoBucks]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
As far as consistency related issues go this is what I see:

Your push away doesn't match your back swing, you push the ball up to your chin but the back swing is barely waist high. Meaning that your putting the breaks on the ball when it swings back instead of letting it swing naturally.

At release you lean forward, bend your back, and are in what Mo Pinel calls the "flamingo position". If you can finish with both feet on the ground or close to it you'll have better balance and better leverage.

You also flip the ball onto the lane in a very muscled fashion instead of rolling it onto the lane.

Edited by B-Hammer (12/18/11 01:11 AM)

#159577 - 12/18/11 09:36 AM Re: My video [Re: GoBucks]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Your momemtum is coming from your arm and not the rest of your body. You cut your backswing short, and from that moment, your arm controls the ball. You hang on to the ball too long and flip it on to the lane. Yor forward lean causes you to lose sight of your target.

Allow the ball to fall out and down at the pushoff, not upward. The ball drop should be free and allowed to go back as far as it can.
Swing the ball from your shoulder, not your elbow.
Release the ball close to your ankle, not out 5'
Stand more erect at release. No more the a 15degree lean. This will help you focus on your target.
You use your arm to propel the ball and not coupled with your lower body. Develop a pushoff step into a final step slide. That provides the ball momentum, not your elbow.
You walk straight and release the ball out at an angle. The ball goes behind your back to create this angle. Walk toward yout target and keep your shoulders perpendicular to your target line.

I bet you are an example of a self taught approach. You have committed these movements to muscle memory and used them for a long time. They won't be easy to change. But, take 1 change at a time and work on just that until you can do it.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#159578 - 12/18/11 10:27 AM Re: My video [Re: GoBucks]
GoBucks Offline
Bantam

Thanks to both of you. I am definitely self taught. I have been bowling like that for about 20 years. I have always felt off balance, but was never sure what was wrong.

When you say "release the ball at your feet, not out 5' " are you talking about how i throw the ball out onto the lane. I was at one point, maybe 15 years ago, taught that i should toss the ball out more but i really don't remember why. I know that the ball is getting into its roll early now, will releasing it earlier cause it to hook even sooner? I am not even really sure how i can release the ball sooner. Should i start my arm swing sooner to do this?

I think that controlling the lean may be the easiest first step.

I appreciate your help.

I am not sure what you mean by elbow vs. shoulder.

#159611 - 12/19/11 09:18 AM Re: My video [Re: GoBucks]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You are probably falling off your post because of your excessive lean to the right and holding on to the ball too long. Both will pull you off balance. Keep your body squared more over your slide foot and release the ball closer to the foul line. The effort to loft is causing momentum to pull your body to that side.

As far as the recent early ball roll, it could be caused by a number of things that can't be seen in a video.
Have you changed the surface of the ball?
Is your ball dirty? Do you clean it regularly?
Are lane conditions dry? Sometimes just the time of day you bowl will yield dryer lane conditions.
You do play the outside of the lane, and because of your loft, you have a high side rotation. The outside lane is generally dryer, and your ball could be gaining friction too quickly.
Have you changed your target to the left to keep your ball in the oil longer?
The ball just doesn't change all of a sudden. Something is different.

That's a good start. Gain balance at the foul line by being more erect. It's the easiest correction. When doing that, get your body down by bending your knees. You should squat more then lean. This gets your ball closer to the lane and your foot.

Good luck!
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#159928 - 12/28/11 10:50 AM Re: My video [Re: Dennis Michael]
GoBucks Offline
Bantam

i keep my bowling balls cleaned and they are at 4000 grit with polish to prevent early rolling. the issue may be due to what is described above.

i have been trying to change to a free arm swing, but then the ball tends not to move at all. is the release supposed to be tied to muscling vs. free arm swing? i don't see how you could replicate the release without some tension.

#159935 - 12/28/11 01:52 PM Re: My video [Re: GoBucks]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: RGPAPMBPIN
is the release supposed to be tied to muscling vs. free arm swing?

Aim with arm, hook with hand.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#160298 - 01/05/12 04:06 PM Re: My video [Re: GoBucks]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Quote:
The other thing i noticed is that i look at my mark the whole time (except for when the ball goes in motion and blocks my view) but i don't always see the ball roll over my mark.

This comment really stuck out to me, and I say this to all of my students that cannot tell me if they hit their mark or not.

"If you don't know whether the ball hit your intended target or not you weren't looking at your target". This means that although you feel you were your eyes are pulling up towards the pins or down to the ball before it gets to your target line. Both are not going to help you at all. Try to watch your target get hit by the ball as opposed to watching the ball hit your target and see if that helps.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#160319 - 01/05/12 07:25 PM Re: My video [Re: GoBucks]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
I find that watching the dots at the front of the lane are easier for me to tell if I am hitting my marks. I'll pick a mark around the arrows for the ball to go over, but I use the dots as a placeholder to drop the ball on.

I used to watch the arrows, but I found that when I was releasing the ball my head was moving too much and I would lose sight of the arrow for a half second. I find that I can focus more when looking at the dot.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#160378 - 01/06/12 10:39 PM Re: My video [Re: Hunter]
GoBucks Offline
Bantam

are you talking about the dots at the foul line or the dots between foul line and arrows?

Someone told me that i short-arm the ball when i look at the dots, and as i move left, there are no dots. what do i look at then. Does anyone look at their breakpoint the whole time instead of dots or arrows?

I've been trying to throw with a free arm swing but it really changes my release. i feel that i need to tighten up my wrist to release the ball which seems contrary to the free arm swing.

also, someone above said i have excessive lean. i'm not sure if they meant both forward and to the right, or both. i see a lot of pba bowlers leaning to the right.

are there any drills that i can do at home?

what are some sample starting positions, then dots and arrows? start at 27 dots at 20, 17 arrows?

sorry for all of the questions but i am very frustrated trying to change all of these parts of my game.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - Today at 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.