BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159064 - 12/06/11 03:37 PM alignment, walking direction, aiming point
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
My release and technique have evolved to where I can't use my old shot anymore.

Since I started taking bowling seriously in Feb, my shot has always been lined up straight (parallel to the boards), walk straight and roll the ball straight over a mark allowing it to hook into the pocket. I tried to keep it as simple as possible.

That shot no longer works. I'm now putting more revs on the ball and I'm finding that I have to play the ball more across the lane. I'm not sure how to do it properly, what to use for aiming points etc.

I experimented today with aiming straight up the lane (shoulders parallel to the foul line) walking straight ahead then aiming the ball across the lane at the left most hash mark. I found that I got a strike every time I was able to roll the ball over the hash mark. This required a little bit of a twist as I took my final step but my shoulders were naturally open at that point anyway.

Is this how you folks do it? Do you walk straight (parallel to the lane) or walk toward your mark in the same direction as your intended ball path?

Do you aim at the dots, the arrows, the hash marks or the pins?

Thanks for any replies.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#159066 - 12/06/11 03:59 PM Re: alignment, walking direction, aiming point [Re: TominNJ]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Read this: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/btm01_files/btm1.htm

Just because you are putting more revs on the ball doesn't mean you can't play straighter, you can increase your speed and not let your hand turn around the ball, and keep your palm facing your target line this will make the ball roll forward instead of sideways and allow you to play straighter. Jason Belmonte did and he has more revs than most people.

#159081 - 12/06/11 09:03 PM Re: alignment, walking direction, aiming point [Re: TominNJ]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Originally Posted By: TominNJ
. I found that I got a strike every time I was able to roll the ball over the hash mark.

On a THS, the hash marks provide a great visual for the right distance and angle to the pocket. Most bowlers who strike will roll over them if their lines are correctly lined up.

Originally Posted By: TominNJ
.Do you aim at the dots, the arrows, the hash marks or the pins? Thanks for any replies.

Except for the pins, all the above at various times. Targeting early (dots) gives me a bit more of an earlier roll and i use that with my equipment that is set up to arc. The arrows are a general target to establish what the lanes are playing like with what i'm throwing. The hash marks are where i want the ball to roll over and (when i need more length with what i'm using) i will target that.

Just like throwing a pearl on heavy oil isn't matching your equipment to the shot, targeting early (with that same pearl) is not matching up properly. You're using a pearl for the reason you want length, target long. You use solids for overall hook, target earlier. I suspect there is exceptions such as high rev bowlers who create a lot of push, but this is a good general rule and works well for me as a tweener.

As for walking straight up the boards and throwing out, i don't like it. It opens up the shoulders to inconsistancy especially on those nights when the shot is playing tougher and the oil isn't playing as defined. You may be able to "get away with it" on certain nights but on other nights you may have to play quite a bit tighter (less room for error) and IMO the over/under look will be the common result.

If you are looking at different targets, try matching the "strength of the ball" to the "desired target". Cover type and pin location will dictate this.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#159100 - 12/06/11 11:19 PM Re: alignment, walking direction, aiming point [Re: metguy]
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
Alignment of your body from the hips up is critical to the direction of your ball in the fronts. You do not want to be square to the foul line and walking straight ahead if your goal is to send the ball from left to right. The only way to do that is to swing the ball behind your back and out to the release point, and do this consistently--not an easy task. You want your swing to be a true pendulum, and having your shoulders at a 90 degree angle to your target line is the best way to accomplish that.

As for aiming point, I've learned to play a line, not a spot. My down and in shot isn't about aiming at the third dot. It's about going over the third dot, between the first and second arrows, and down the lane to a breakpoint at the 9th board when the pattern ends. There was a test done with Chris Barnes regarding what target he was looking at before he took his shot. It was found that his eyes focused up and down a path 8-10 times--when to a spectator it appeared he was just standing on the approach. The one thing he didn't look at at all--the pins. If you're sending the ball out to hook back, looking at the pocket is the absolutely worst possible thing you can do. If you stand left of the headpin and look at the pocket, your mind is telling your body not to throw the ball to the right of the pocket, get it? You want to look down and out to your breakpoint, which is further right than the pocket.

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

#159120 - 12/07/11 11:28 AM Re: alignment, walking direction, aiming point [Re: TominNJ]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I used to try to walk "straight" and swing the ball out, as you're describing. I fought it and fought it and never got it. I did it because it was what I was taught was the "right" way - I wasn't supposed to drift. . .

Someone asked me why, if my swing is supposed to be a straight pendulum swing, why am I forcing it to loop around?

"ping"

So now I line up fairly straight with my intended target/line and make sure I'm squared up with my target, not the lane, per se.

Much more relaxed, much easier to get a straight swing, and I'm much more consistent.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#159158 - 12/08/11 11:42 AM Re: alignment, walking direction, aiming point [Re: mmalsed]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: mmalsed
I used to try to walk "straight" and swing the ball out, as you're describing. I fought it and fought it and never got it. I did it because it was what I was taught was the "right" way - I wasn't supposed to drift. . .

Someone asked me why, if my swing is supposed to be a straight pendulum swing, why am I forcing it to loop around?

"ping"

So now I line up fairly straight with my intended target/line and make sure I'm squared up with my target, not the lane, per se.

Much more relaxed, much easier to get a straight swing, and I'm much more consistent.

Had the same problem, trying to not drift because it wasn't the "right way", after months of inconsistencies and missing my target I came to the conclusion that drifting isn't a bad thing at all, especially if it clears your hips, just make sure the drifting is consistent. Something that probably would have been explained 5 minutes into a coaching session.

As far as targeting is concerned I think it depends on what eye your dominant with. I'm cross eye dominant so near targets don't work as well for me as targeting the exit point. See http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinskinov09.pdf for more info.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 03:49 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.