BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159017 - 12/05/11 12:42 AM Fingertip drill without rubber inserts?
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
I've been throwing a straight ball with conventional grip for 5 years. I've tried to learn to throw a hook ball without much success. Part of the problem is that I suffered a severe injury to my bowling hand when I was 17 years old. My thumb had to be amputated near the 1st joint. But my middle and ring fingers are fine.

I have tried a couple of fingertip drilled balls with rubber inserts. But one of the problems I had was that my fingers tended to get stuck in the rubber grips and bend backwards during release. I tried switching to larger inserts and that didn't help.

My Fall 2011 league average is 168 now. But I'm only getting 3 or 4 strikes per game and that is whats preventing me from advancing. I've got to Master the hook release.

So here's my question: Is it very common to have a fingertip drilled ball without rubber inserts? Also, with my shortened thumb, should I try semi-fingertip, relaxed-fingertip, or full fingertip?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#159019 - 12/05/11 01:02 AM Re: Fingertip drill without rubber inserts? [Re: brettbolt]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Inserts are more common, but people do go without finger inserts (like Norm Duke). If your fingers are getting stuck you might want to have the finger pitches adjusted to help you get out of the fingers cleaner.

Relaxed finger tip is the way to go as long your thumb can support it.

#159024 - 12/05/11 07:35 AM Re: Fingertip drill without rubber inserts? [Re: brettbolt]
6_ball_man Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 57/m/downtown churchville
Lotsa folks like the feel of the ball better than the feel of the grips. There are also different brands of grips that feel different. In the old days, when we were taught to hit up on the ball, grips made no sense to me because they ruined my feel for the ball. I now use a thin walled finger grip with an oval shape (no added lift in the grip), that doesn't bother me too awful much. My brother still has fingers drilled right into the ball for the feel he likes.
YMMV - mine usually does.

Edited by 6_ball_man (12/05/11 07:58 AM)

Storm Hy-Road (2K dull)
Rotogrip Deranged (2K dull)
RotoGrip Rumble (1K + polish)
Track 300T (4K dull)
Storm Polar Ice (spare - box condition)

#159049 - 12/06/11 01:03 AM Re: Fingertip drill without rubber inserts? [Re: brettbolt]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
Thanks guys. It's good to know that I'm not the only one that doesn't want finger inserts. The new ball arrives tomorrow. I'm going 1 pound lighter (from 16 to 15) so its easier to hold onto.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

It's never too early for a good deal!
Shop Amazon - Countdown to Black Friday

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Body Moving Left
by SteveH - Today at 05:07 PM
Critical Care Kitty needs your help
by MiggityMatt - Today at 02:40 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:36 PM
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:05 PM
Fall '14 Week 7 virtual league results
by Richie V. - 10/28/14 07:02 PM
Sore wrist.
by spr3wr - 10/28/14 04:14 PM
Storm Crux Video Ball Review
by BOSStull - 10/28/14 02:42 AM
2014 WTBA World Men's Championships
by Richie V. - 10/26/14 09:21 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - 10/26/14 11:34 AM
Rough Comparisons of Storm & Roto Grip balls
by SteveH - 10/25/14 04:33 PM
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by SteveH - 10/24/14 05:20 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - 10/24/14 03:37 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.