BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 21 of 39 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158601 - 11/22/11 05:03 PM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: brettbolt]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: brettbolt
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
This game was stalled for 10+ minutes in the first frame. As noted on my Bowlsk, a young bowler on the pair to the right of us had a seizure on the concourse entry area behind us. My lead off bowler after throwing a shot in his first frame had turned to see the guy on the ground and said something and one of the ladies on the other team happened to be a paramedic or nurse so she rushed back there to do what she could until paramedics arrived from the 911 call. I heard from other bowlers that the young man is epileptic, had taken his medication but hadn't eaten much if anything today and supposedly that can make things worse. Hopefully he is doing well, as he was standing or walking when it happen and fell pretty hard from what I heard....

Nearly a year ago (Fall 2010), a guy on my team had an epileptic seizure. It happened midway through the first game and he was working on a double strike. I knew he had epilepsy so I just put my bowling towel under his head and left him alone. Also I had to calm down the bystanders. Unfortunately, someone called 911 without asking me and the fire and ambulance arrived for nothing. But since I was not a relative, I could not stop them from taking him away on an expensive ambulance ride to the hospital. So I called his relatives and had the paramedics speak to them. But because they were not there in person, they were powerless to stop him from being taken away, even though they pleaded for them not to. Upon arrival at the hospital he was fine.

Several weeks ago, his doctor switched him to a new anti-seizure drug. After a few days on the drug, he died in his sleep. He was only 34 years old -- very sad.

This young man, and I do mean young like 20 or maybe 22, bowls with a group of good friends, and I think the older woman on his team is probably friends with his mother. She actually got in the ambulance with him and no one tried to stop them from taking him. He fell pretty hard and I think was still a lot out of i0 when they took him out about 15 minutes after it first started. This was a pretty bad seizure, and the paramedic or nurse that bowls in the league told the desk to call 911 as this occurred right in front of the desk.
HS:763

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#158672 - 11/23/11 08:01 PM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Richie V.]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Friday night I subbed. For some reason I had a tough time getting my act together for the first 5 frames of the first game. A teammate of mine had the same problem. Three opens in the first five frames. Two were easy makable spares. I then amped up my focus and started to bowl. Finished with a 190.
Second game I was lined up with laser like focus and strung the front 10. Eleventh shot I left a ringing 10 pin. Finished with a 289.
Third game the line disappeared and I was searching for a new line. I struggled to a 195 thanks largely to a triple and a double.
674 series. raised my average in that league to 209.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#158682 - 11/23/11 10:47 PM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 51/M/Brockton, MA
Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

My comment on BowlSK:

Quote:
Chalk up tonight to stubbornly staying with a ball that seemed to lose its reaction and needed maintenance until it was too late to save the night, as my weaker Fast was better than the Hy-Road. The bright side was going 4/5 on my single 10 pin.

Result: 119-145-184=448
Average (36 games): 172
Average for last 9 games: 169
Next week's AVG+1 score: 522

Brian has a personal goal of having a better score than his wife at the end of a night, and he almost pulled it off tonight with a tie at a 396 series score (in which he had a 178 first game, which may have been his personal best). Carl and Pat were both well over average in the third game to help me secure the third game point, our only one of the night.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 178 HS: 646 HG: 269
Sunday Niters - Avg: 175 HS: 610 HG: 257
Composite Avg: 176

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#158760 - 11/26/11 08:47 PM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Richie V.]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

Well tonight was an early night for me having bowled only one game for a 124. Three strikes and 7 opens, 3 of which were splits including a 7-10. In the second frame the toe cap began to come off of my push off shoe. I tried to glue it back on but didn't have enough time between frames to let it fully dry and I don't think it was a strong enough glue to hold it anyways. I couldn't get into the slide correctly plus it felt like the toe cap was flapping just when walking. I wasn't going to try to struggle through a whole night with this issue. It was hard enough trying to get through 9 frames of the game I did bowl.

As it turns out the glue from the last time I had to glue it on did hold up, but the velcro on the shoe side came off of the rubber of the shoe.

#158804 - 11/27/11 09:41 PM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Richie V.]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I was quite proud of myself on monday night. The conditions kept changing all night long and I had to adjust along with them. Usually I just stand in about the same spot and keep hitting my target. This time the lanes started out like they were on the dry side. I had a tough time keeping the ball on the right side of the lane during practice. I made an adjustment early on to draw a line from my initial target to my breakpoint. This allowed me to project the ball through the arrow to the breakpoint. Mission accomplished. I was in the pocket on just about every shot. The only issue was carry. During the second game I immediately noticed that the ball was breaking later and later. Carry down. I had to keep moving right. Now I started the first game playing the middle arrow. By the time the last game finished, I was playing up 12 at the arrows. I just kept moving and adjusting with the oil movement. I finished 204-212-225=641 I never changed balls. Kept using my X Factor. Best ball ever.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#158826 - 11/28/11 01:52 PM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Richie V.]
Doogie Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 37/M/Lincoln, NE
Bowled my best series and highest game ever on Friday night. 253-196-289=738 It seems I happend to be bowling well and hit on the right ammount of luck to go with it.
Storm: Supernatural

#158833 - 11/28/11 03:08 PM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Richie V.]
vgnano420 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/m/mi
Nice set doogie hopefully its a sign of good things to come

If Bowling is a Sport, I'm an Athlete!

#158913 - 11/30/11 10:28 PM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 51/M/Brockton, MA
Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

Tonight was less of a case of the ball being bad and more one of "operator error." I just couldn't put two good shots together, and, when I finally did, a blower 7 greeted me. I >am happy with my performance on "makeable" spares, and particularly single pins, but that latter category should have really been perfect, as I just went right of a 3 pin.

Result: 153-157-170=480
Average (39 games): 171
Average for last 9 games: 170
Next week's AVG+1 score: 519

Team only took one point out of a match in which every game was decided by less than 30 pins. For my teammates, Berta was good again, and Brian was a pin shy of a 107 triplicate.

Edited by Richie V. (11/30/11 10:28 PM)
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 178 HS: 646 HG: 269
Sunday Niters - Avg: 175 HS: 610 HG: 257
Composite Avg: 176

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#158926 - 12/01/11 01:22 AM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Richie V.]
MikeHL Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
I had one of the best days at work today that I've had in a very long time. Left feeling great about myself and expected it would carry over to the bowling lanes.

It didn't. I knew after three shots during the warm-up that something was off physically, but I didn't know what. Stunk up the joint for two and a half games and STILL didn't know what. I reverted to playing candlepin with a tenpin ball...again.

I've actually done a fairly good job these last two years of training my wrist and fingers to release the ball differently from my candlepin days, but my shoulder STILL wants to whip the ball down the lane as hard as possible. When that happens, I will miss target to the inside every single time and I won't get any fingers on the shot, obviously.

146-157-150 = 453. Ugh. I was pi$$ed off at myself all night long and swore at myself constantly. I finally stopped cussing myself out midway through game 3 long enough to realize what I was doing wrong. My next two shots, I stepped up and did to the ball exactly what I was trying to do -- and left a 4-6-10 and a 4-9. Shooting at the 4-9, I knew I caught the edge of the 4. It slid into the base of the 9, but I only wobbled it; the 9 didn't go.

I cannot tell you how infuriated I was at doing physically to the ball exactly what I was trying to do, watching the ball do exactly what I'd intended on both shots and ending up with an open anyway. Tossed a few F-words down the lane and flipped off the 9 that wouldn't drop. I leave plenty of splits and I don't cuss them out or flip them off, but given the night I was already having, this was too much to take.

Bless their hearts, the people I was bowling with were saying to me, "Mike, calm down. It's just a game." All I could say was, "I often have a hard time remembering that, and sometimes I can't remember it at all. This is one of those times."

I'm not proud of myself right now. Ack.

Edited by MikeHL (12/01/11 01:29 AM)
-- Mika Koivuniemi

#159001 - 12/03/11 10:40 PM Re: 2011-12 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: MikeHL]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

Tonight wasn't a good night at the lanes. The Bowlsk version of how the night transpired. I was already kind of irked before warm ups even started as I found out two bowlers had pre-bowled for tonight and didn't find out until another teammate, their oldesst son, showed up with their copy of the re-cap sheet from when they did bowl. This is the second or third time this season they have done this and after pre-bowled around the third of the weeks already. I think out of 15 weeks we have had the whole team there maybe half of that time, with one, two or all three of them not there for various reasons. The fifth bowler and I have been there every week, even though I stopped last week after the first game when my shoe came apart. Execution felt good at first and then I just started having problems.

Needless to say I was under average and dropped my season average to under 180. A few weeks ago I felt like things were starting to come back together but my last 5 games or so were terrible. Three of those 5 games were with the toe cap of my push off foot coming loose or completely off.

I liked how smooth things felt afterward, but that was because I was just trying to let the ball do it's thing and seemed to get a better looking reaction. I think maybe for part of this season I have been trying to force things. Forcing the new ball to work. Forcing a certain line. Forcing myself to play outside of my game. Forcing the swing, the list goes on.

I'm going to try to fix the shoe one more time, this time using Gorilla glue as suggested by a bowler on the other team, but still try to throw the ball more like I was for the last two games. I think my back is a bit straighter like that, but I think I might also have less knee bend, then again it just might be the straighter back that makes it seem like that. I'm not sure, but I might not be as much behind the ball, or maybe I am and just not trying to turn it as much. I'm going to have to get some video to see for sure.

Page 21 of 39 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38 39 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 11/19/17 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.