BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158675 - 11/23/11 09:29 PM Turkey Shoot Tournament
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Its that time again for the annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey Shoot 9-Pin Tournament. Its great practice (for me) dealing with long strings of strikes and 300 game pressure. Its also usually smaller so the pace is a bit quicker. My best so far is two 300's so the goal is to get all three games to 300. I don't approach these types of tournaments as "Must Win" but more like great practice.

Anyone else have anything like this and what is your objective for it?

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#158680 - 11/23/11 10:24 PM Re: Turkey Shoot Tournament [Re: metguy]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I've heard that called a no tap tournament. Supposed to be fun, I think, kind of like a fun run.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#158694 - 11/24/11 01:00 AM Re: Turkey Shoot Tournament [Re: metguy]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
I can't stand 9 pin tournaments and would never enter one. That is just me though...enjoy

#158755 - 11/26/11 02:26 PM Re: Turkey Shoot Tournament [Re: metguy]
MikePet Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 39/m/lancaster, pa
Just shot this type of tourney on Black Friday with my 9-year old. It was a Jr./Adult doubles. Around here, they give you free strikes instead of true handicap. My boy got strikes in the 3rd, 6th, and 9th, and I got none. Strikes are based on average.

Well, he shamed me the first game with a 235; I had some serious issues and only shot 187. I promised him I would do better if he could just hang in there for games 2 and 3.

I shot a natural 276 (first 9) and then had the first 9 natural again the in the last game, and shot 295. Last one went high. He ended with a 201 and 151.

We ended up actually winning our division. He was and is still thrilled about the whole thing.

Link below:

http://www.dutchlanes.com/default.asp?Page=Home

Just scroll down a bit, me and the boy are in the picture with just the two of us.
<40 year old Accuflyte, 16#, rubber, high game and series>

Season HG - 278
Season HS - 779

#158901 - 11/30/11 09:54 AM Re: Turkey Shoot Tournament [Re: metguy]
flaski Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 24/M/Columbus MS
We had a no tap tourney the Friday before Thanksgiving. At the time by 4 year old black widow had a very small hook on the backend due to lack of maintenance on my part so I went and got it resurfaced the day of... dumb idea. I couldn't control the hook. If I was lucky enough to hit the pocket I got 8's. Oh well... at least I was still in the drawing the win a turkey, but I didn't win one. frown

Lesson learned, even if you're just bowling in a tourney for fun, don't mess with anything unless you have time for practice.

#158912 - 11/30/11 10:15 PM Re: Turkey Shoot Tournament [Re: metguy]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I like bowling no-tap occasionally. It really frees me up, and its pretty hard to not have fun, both of which help when I go back to league.

I bowled a Jr/Adult turkey tourney on Saturday, and it was great. I bowled 245, 248, 248 and the young lady I was bowling with shot 220, 232, 204. We won our age division. It was a lot of fun.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.