BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158745 - 11/26/11 05:20 AM pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole...
PowerBall Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 36/M/Ca
is this right?

I told him about thumb fit problem and he took out the bunch of black tape I had in the back of the hole (the side farthest from the other two fingers) and put three pieces of textured white tape. The hole felt snugger but bowls great..

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#158747 - 11/26/11 07:30 AM Re: pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole... [Re: PowerBall]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
You said it is textured white tape so I would suggest removing the top piece of white tape and adding probably 3 pieces of black tape. The white textured tape tends to be thicker than the black slick tape. I believe there is a company that makes a thicker black tape but I can't remember which one. The textured tape can and usually does tear up the back of the thumb especially if the span is still long.

I actually had to quit putting black tape in the back of my thumb hole because no matter how loose or snug the whole was my thumb hung up on the tape. I started using Ron Clifton's Magic Carpet and any clearance problems are usually user error. Occasionally I do have to put a piece of white tape in the front of the thumb hole but usually remove it half way through the first game as the ball begins to hang up even when I'm just testing the thumb hole. Of course sometimes I wait too long to remove it thinking it was user error.
HS:763

#158759 - 11/26/11 08:23 PM Re: pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole... [Re: PowerBall]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
I use white tape for the front and back of the thumb hole. I have not had any issues....

#158771 - 11/27/11 01:05 AM Re: pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole... [Re: PowerBall]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Textured white tape goes in the front/pad side of the thumbhole.

Erin

#158780 - 11/27/11 10:36 AM Re: pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole... [Re: PowerBall]
helloyo53 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 16/M/Ontario
The textured white take is supposed to be for extra grip, therefore should be placed at the front of the thumbhole so you are touching it with the the pads of your thumb. The black tape is for making the thumbhole smaller and should be placed at the back of the thumbhole. That's what I was told and that's what I've always done.
Current Average - 169

Career High:
Score - 257 (2009/2010)
Triple - 604 (2010/2011)
Average - 169 (2011/2012)
Book Average - 159 (2010/2011)

#158783 - 11/27/11 11:45 AM Re: pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole... [Re: PowerBall]
6_ball_man Online   content
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
I agree with the majority here. White tape in front (one piece only) and electrical tape in back to fit.
Monster Loch Ness - 4k+polish
Rotogrip Winner - box
Brunswick Gold Rhino Pro shiny
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#158784 - 11/27/11 11:52 AM Re: pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole... [Re: PowerBall]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
The point is it really doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable.

#158836 - 11/28/11 03:54 PM Re: pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole... [Re: spillup24]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: spillup24
This.

I know you're "supposed" to put black in back and white in front. . .

But I've always put white in the back of mine. Just feels better to me (to me).

Now, for my wife, it's the "normal" way. . . laugh

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#158840 - 11/28/11 05:05 PM Re: pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole... [Re: mmalsed]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: mmalsed
Originally Posted By: spillup24
This.

I know you're "supposed" to put black in back and white in front. . .

But I've always put white in the back of mine. Just feels better to me (to me).

Now, for my wife, it's the "normal" way. . . laugh

I agree it's about comfort, but for most the white in back isn't comfortable. Even the black wasn't for me.
HS:763

#158849 - 11/28/11 08:16 PM Re: pro shop put white tape on back of thumbhole... [Re: PowerBall]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
There are many different textures of tape out there ranging from the normal white textured to tacky and textured to hard rubber and smooth to soft rubber and grippy and Teflon and many more.

If I want a slower thumb I put white tape in the back (I have slippery skin so this is usually the case for me), if it is hot out I go with something slicker like smooth black, or teflon pad. There are many different combinations. I suggest using what ever the thickest is to get the size of the hole right then adjust the feel with what ever texture you prefer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.