BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158350 - 11/18/11 09:33 AM Bone dry lanes?
Pingu44 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/m/Netherlands (used to be E...
Bowled at a new place today, and the lane may as well have been carpeted. As soon as I was releasing the ball it was hooking. So... What do I do? I've got a slow ball speed coupled with a pretty damn good rev rate, that lane was like kryptonite to me. Any suggestions?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#158352 - 11/18/11 09:44 AM Re: Bone dry lanes? [Re: Pingu44]
ffemtreed Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/M/Wilmington NC
throw plastic or urethane ball.

You can try to learn to loft the ball a little down the lane.

Try playing right up the 1 or 2 board.

Learn to flatten your hand to kill your revs.

Move way way way inside and throw between the 2nd and 3rd arrow.

Hold the ball higher in your stance to get more ball speed to get it further down the lane before it hooks.

try to have a ball in your arsenal that is polished good and has a pin up configuration to help with these conditions.
Radical Reax
Hammer Taboo
Motiv Primal
Columbia White Dot

#158356 - 11/18/11 10:44 AM Re: Bone dry lanes? [Re: ffemtreed]
Pingu44 Offline
League Bowler

I'm already using a plastic ball and generating as much speed as I can!

#158357 - 11/18/11 10:52 AM Re: Bone dry lanes? [Re: Pingu44]
ffemtreed Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: Pingu44
I'm already using a plastic ball and generating as much speed as I can!

If you are playing deep inside and still hooking your plastic ball off the lane then its time to find a new place to bowl.
Radical Reax
Hammer Taboo
Motiv Primal
Columbia White Dot

#158359 - 11/18/11 11:05 AM Re: Bone dry lanes? [Re: Pingu44]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
If you're using plastic, and doing your best to kill revs and add speed, and the ball is still hooking too much, then I'd just say don't bowl there. If you complain about it, the desk guy is just going to tell you, "maybe you should learn to adjust" but if you are needing to adjust to extremes, just to get your ball half way down the lane, and it all stems from lane maintanence neglect, that's not a place I would bowl.

#158360 - 11/18/11 11:11 AM Re: Bone dry lanes? [Re: Pingu44]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Use your thumb. Not very many adjustments you can make bowling thumbless, so when the lanes don't match up you can't do anything to get to the pocket.

Seriously, I know I sound like a broken record, but the fact that you are posting here makes me thing that you want to improve, and as such the best thing you can do is to learn proper technique.

If you are dead set against using your thumb, at least consider two handing, but you have to use your off hand properly. The technique isn't twisting the ball in two hands like a 90* basketball bounce pass, the off hand acts as a thumb allowing you to make hand and speed adjustments with the main hand.

#158367 - 11/18/11 12:38 PM Re: Bone dry lanes? [Re: B-Hammer]
Pingu44 Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
Use your thumb. Not very many adjustments you can make bowling thumbless, so when the lanes don't match up you can't do anything to get to the pocket.

Seriously, I know I sound like a broken record, but the fact that you are posting here makes me thing that you want to improve, and as such the best thing you can do is to learn proper technique.

If you are dead set against using your thumb, at least consider two handing, but you have to use your off hand properly. The technique isn't twisting the ball in two hands like a 90* basketball bounce pass, the off hand acts as a thumb allowing you to make hand and speed adjustments with the main hand.

I do genuinely appreciate your input, please don't feel like a broken record. It's not at all that I'm set against using my thumb, far from it. However, I genuinely can't hook the ball with my thumb in. I can't get my wrist under the ball to do it. I can't get my wrist under the 10lb ball I had drilled just to see if weight alone was the issue. I've got small hands that have been battered in a lifetime of playing bass and being a goalkeeper and if I could get even close to a proper revolution, I would go all out and stick with it. I can't. I can't get the ball to turn over with my thumb all the way in. I do want to improve, you're right, and I do want to learn how to bowl with a proper technique - I also want to be able to do the scream at the start of Iced Earth's Ten Thousand Strong, but certain things are an impossibility for me. I would like to think it's not down to a physical limitation and I'm just doing it all wrong or my ball is drilled all screwy or something, but if I knew that I'd be able to fix it. I've considered a wrist guard, but frankly if I can't get my hand under a 10lb ball without one, the problem seems more endemic than something a support would fix.

Please, if you have ANY advice, I'm all ears, I always will be. Don't hesitate to give me it.

#158368 - 11/18/11 01:03 PM Re: Bone dry lanes? [Re: Pingu44]
ffemtreed Offline
Action Bowler

If you have the wrist strength to bowl without a thumb in the ball you have the ability to bowl with the thumb in. I grew up all my life bowling without my thumb, was a 200 average in my teens before I stopped bowling. I came back to the sport about 1 year 1/2 ago and started bowling again without my thumb in the ball. about 6 months into it the pain in my wrist became intolerable. I took a month off and then finally decided I was going to bowl with my thumb in the ball to alleviate all the stress I was putting on my wrist.

I am almost a year into bowling with my thumb in the ball and I still don't have a proper/consistent release, it was VERY hard at first to learn to get any hook on the ball, it took me about month before I got any type of consistent results.

My average has been climbing steadily ever since I started putting my thumb in. I went from over 200 to barely breaking 100. That was REAL tough for me to deal with and extremely frustrating at the beginning. There were a couple of times I said I couldn't do it and almost gave up bowling.

#1 thing, is not to expect the kind of hook you are getting without your thumb when you are bowling with your thumb. Don't compare your old hook with anything new you are trying to do. Once you get that expectation out of your head you will do better.

My average is back up to around 170 right now and I am just starting to get a little more versatile in my lane play. I expect by the end of the season I will be up around 180 or 190. Almost back at where I started a year ago! It was totally worth the effort, I can play with very little pain in my wrist now, I can play on almost any condition that comes my way and I am WAY more accurate on my spare game. While my average was higher before, I am a much better bowler now, even though my average isn't near as high.
Radical Reax
Hammer Taboo
Motiv Primal
Columbia White Dot

#158371 - 11/18/11 01:10 PM Re: Bone dry lanes? [Re: Pingu44]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
However, I genuinely can't hook the ball with my thumb in.

That's the whole point!!!!

In this case you do not want to hook the ball. The lane condition is already doing it for you.

Erin

#158373 - 11/18/11 02:02 PM Re: Bone dry lanes? [Re: Pingu44]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
In most cases people that no-thumb hook the ball use their elbow and forearm to get it to hook. Essentially flipping their arm around the ball. With your thumb in that is not going to work because when you try and do that the ball will come off your thumb at the same time as your fingers and just knuckle down the lane.

Also, in order to hook the ball correctly you don't have to cradle it in your palm like you do when you aren't using your thumb.

Maybe try this start with the ball close to your body with both hands under the ball, push the ball out with both hands and let it drop into your swing. Norm Duke shows this on his DVD and youtube instructional videos. Once the ball is in motion the weight won't be a factor as long as you don't fight it and let the ball fall.

See Norm Duke's Video at the 1 minute mark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.