BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157923 - 11/09/11 09:26 PM How to target for less hook?
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
I cant believe I actually have to ask this question, but apparently watching Jordan and listening to his coach, and reading Coach Jim's advice to him has helped my release tremendously and now I am having trouble staying right of the head pin.

I was wondering by moving my target left but keeping my feet where they are will that help kill some hook? I really dont want to try different releases yet until this one is built into my muscle memory. But I start having issues as the oil goes away. I have controlled it somewhat by holding my ball higher and adding speed but that only works for so long of course. By the last game in either house I am bowling in I am hooking several boards with my Tropical (not heat) looks pretty but does not score well lol . So I thought why not ask the experts?
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#157925 - 11/09/11 10:00 PM Re: How to target for less hook? [Re: Rocket]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
If you move your target left but keep your feet the same one of two things is probably going to happen. The first is you will drift left in order to hit that target at the correct angle, when it would have been better to have just moved your feet anyways. The other thing that could happen if you do happen to not drift is that you hit your target but possibly at a straighter angle and then when it reacts to the dry on the back end the ball hooks through the head pin.

That's why you need to move the feet and target left when needed, at least on a house shot. I've also heard you can target further down the lane as it is suppose help delay the hook. I've never had much success with that the few times I've tried it though.

The other options are change hand positions. Cup/cock the wrist less, move the index finger in or the pinkie out or both to change the angle of the rotation of the ball.
HS:763

#157926 - 11/09/11 10:47 PM Re: How to target for less hook? [Re: Rocket]
champ Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 27/M/Tucson
I've been told that targeting further down the lane will decrease hook. I've never tried it honestly, but you might give it a try.

#157936 - 11/09/11 11:55 PM Re: How to target for less hook? [Re: Rocket]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
Target further down the lane and loft the ball pass the heads.

#157944 - 11/10/11 02:28 AM Re: How to target for less hook? [Re: Rocket]
J.Brown Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 31/Ohio/USA
I target farther down the lanes, my normal targeting area is about 4 ft from the foul line. If the lanes are burnt up I will target at the arrow's. Works alittle bit it won't take away a ton of hook but usually enough for me

Grape Vibe
Onyx Vibe
T-Road pearl
Tropical Storm

#157945 - 11/10/11 03:08 AM Re: How to target for less hook? [Re: Rocket]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
You can move in a parallel move inside. Say two with your feet and two with your target. But my first option is to target further down the lane. It will get your ball into a later roll and decrease hook. Move your primary target further down the lane. As I have said before you can test this in practice so that is becomes a "pearl" in your arsenal.

Erin

#157949 - 11/10/11 06:30 AM Re: How to target for less hook? [Re: Atochabsh]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Thanks all, I cant believe I forgot all about parallel moves, I usually move 3 and 2 left never even dawned on me to switch to 2 and 2. I will try the target farther down the lane as well.

Unfortunately, fortunately,I am buried again at work so practice time went back to zero. But I will try this in my Friday night league my last games scores are so bad it cant hurt anything anyway. Thanks again. smile
Mutant Cell

#157952 - 11/10/11 07:10 AM Re: How to target for less hook? [Re: Rocket]
helloyo53 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 16/M/Ontario
I don't usually like to move too much from my original position in a game, so I usually move one board over up until three boards over. If it is still going high, I start to speed my ball up a bit in hopes that it will be too quick to hook. If that still makes it hook too high, I then target farther down the lane. If all of that fails, I go back to basics and see what happens.
Current Average - 169

Career High:
Score - 257 (2009/2010)
Triple - 604 (2010/2011)
Average - 169 (2011/2012)
Book Average - 159 (2010/2011)

#157959 - 11/10/11 09:50 AM Re: How to target for less hook? [Re: champ]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Originally Posted By: champ
I've been told that targeting further down the lane will decrease hook. I've never tried it honestly, but you might give it a try.

Targeting down lane should get more length as your arm will come through the ball more completely. Hook shouldn't change much. Just start later.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by Revenator - Today at 01:07 PM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - Today at 12:36 PM
Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
by mmalsed - Today at 12:18 PM
Changing a polished ball
by djp1080 - Today at 11:00 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:28 PM
The Weak Ten pin?
by steveA - 10/21/14 07:11 PM
Adding new ball to the arsenal
by spectral - 10/21/14 10:16 AM
Fall '14 Week 6 virtual league results
by SteveH - 10/20/14 08:26 PM
Help choosing a new ball
by Cray - 10/20/14 12:45 AM
1500 abralon pad
by Dave800 - 10/19/14 07:58 PM
First Day with the Storm Crux
by SteveH - 10/19/14 06:50 PM
New ball purchase question
by SteveH - 10/19/14 10:10 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.