BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156616 - 10/17/11 08:09 PM Please help with my awful approach/swing
PowerBall Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 36/M/Ca
Today I was playing particularly badly. I tried to focus on my approach and swing but boo it looked bad. I can tell I started my backswing way too late (2nd or 3rd step not counting the first half) and for some reason my arm looks like it's going back to the left.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#156617 - 10/17/11 08:38 PM Re: Please help with my awful approach/swing [Re: PowerBall]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
I believe your push-a-way is too high. Its causing multiple issues. Your swing is too far away from your body which is causing you to fall off-balance. And, like you noted you have late timing (in large part) because you're starting the ball too high. You're definately muscling the ball which is correctable.

If it were me, start the ball down by the hip while focusing on keeping hand behind the ball (not under it) and try to drive the ball using your fingers and not your thumb out to your mark.

Looks like your throwing plastic so lets not worry about hook but focus more on balance and accuracy. Hook will come later with the proper ball.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#156618 - 10/17/11 09:30 PM Re: Please help with my awful approach/swing [Re: metguy]
eclark53520 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 22/m/wisconsin
+1 to the previous poster...

First thing i would work on is getting the push away lower and started with your right foot.

You should be dropping the ball into it's free swing when your right foot hits the approach.

I always work on one thing at a time while practicing. It helps keep one concentrated on improving that item. I believe you will benefit the most right out of the gate by working on your push-away.

Good luck!!! By taking video and looking for help, you have great potential!

Edited by eclark53520 (10/17/11 09:31 PM)

Taboo blue/silver
Black Widow Pearl
Taboo Spare

#156619 - 10/17/11 09:51 PM Re: Please help with my awful approach/swing [Re: metguy]
PowerBall Offline
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: metguy
I believe your push-a-way is too high. Its causing multiple issues. Your swing is too far away from your body which is causing you to fall off-balance. And, like you noted you have late timing (in large part) because you're starting the ball too high. You're definately muscling the ball which is correctable.

Thanks so much.
Good catch, I wouldn't have noticed that I pushed it up so high.. I should just push it out in front of me. I am wondering, not counting the first half step, should I push it out as I am reaching for my first step or after the first step, or simultaneously?

When you say muscling the ball do you mean it's like I'm throwing it instead of releasing it?

Originally Posted By: metguy

If it were me, start the ball down by the hip while focusing on keeping hand behind the ball (not under it) and try to drive the ball using your fingers and not your thumb out to your mark.

Looks like your throwing plastic so lets not worry about hook but focus more on balance and accuracy. Hook will come later with the proper ball.

What do you mean by behind the ball instead of under it?

Yeah I have a new ball coming in a week or so but gotta learn form first..

Thanks again!

#156620 - 10/17/11 10:12 PM Re: Please help with my awful approach/swing [Re: eclark53520]
PowerBall Offline
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: eclark53520
+1 to the previous poster...

First thing i would work on is getting the push away lower and started with your right foot.

You should be dropping the ball into it's free swing when your right foot hits the approach.

I always work on one thing at a time while practicing. It helps keep one concentrated on improving that item. I believe you will benefit the most right out of the gate by working on your push-away.

Good luck!!! By taking video and looking for help, you have great potential!

Thanks, video has really helped.. i video myself now from now on..

#156621 - 10/17/11 10:25 PM Re: Please help with my awful approach/swing [Re: PowerBall]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Originally Posted By: TidalKnight

[ I am wondering, not counting the first half step, should I push it out as I am reaching for my first step or after the first step, or simultaneously? ]

The ball should be at its maximum extension simultaneously when your right step is executed.

[When you say muscling the ball do you mean it's like I'm throwing it instead of releasing it?]

Yes, and you can tell this because however high you get the ball in the push-a-way is how high it should go in the backswing. You are trying to slow it down almost immediately which is contributing to the ball getting to the line so far behind your feet. Then, at the point of release you are throwing your shoulder forwards to try and get some of that speed back but losing accuracy and (to a degree) balance.

[What do you mean by behind the ball instead of under it?]

When the ball comes forward from your backswing and reaches the release point, your hand can be in any of three positions (not counting to the side of the ball). Either on top of the ball, behind the ball, or under the ball. Keeping the hand behind the ball with a firm wrist is a strong position capable of getting more then enough ball reaction. Good solid place to begin.

[Yeah I have a new ball coming in a week or so but gotta learn form first..]

Absolutely. No bowler with a strong reacting ball is gonna score without being able to throw accurately and within reason balanced. Learning accuracy and form using a plastic ball is ideal, shows you exactly where the need to focus is at. This step of the learning progression is sadly overlooked by new bowlers. In the long run it will serve invaluable.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#156624 - 10/18/11 01:02 AM Re: Please help with my awful approach/swing [Re: PowerBall]
Rat Man Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 57/M Erial, New Jersey
You are bringing the ball around behind your back. It needs to have a very straight, pendulum swing. Relax your arm and let it swing naturally and you'll see your accuracy improve immediately.

#156628 - 10/18/11 08:42 AM Re: Please help with my awful approach/swing [Re: PowerBall]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
It looks to me like you are using house balls that aren't fit for you at all. That alone is going to cause a lot of issues, and many of them will carry over to when you get your own ball, but it will be easier to correct when you get your own ball. You have to grip the house ball to be able to hold on to it and that leads to muscling the shot from the start.
HS:763

#156632 - 10/18/11 12:53 PM Re: Please help with my awful approach/swing [Re: PowerBall]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
On top of what has already been mentioned, it looks like you are throwing an 8 pound ball. I could be wrong, but you certainly are moving it around like a toy. You need a ball that is heavy enough to control the swing. For most men that is 15 or 16 pounds.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#156639 - 10/18/11 03:18 PM Re: Please help with my awful approach/swing [Re: PowerBall]
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
Way too much upper body movement during your approach, which is likely due to a muscled swing. The shoulders should never rotate to the extent that yours are.

You're always starting up pretty square to the foul line, which is fine. But by the time you get to the top of your backswing, you've turned your upper body to the point that your shoulders are out of line (your left shoulder is well in front of your right shoulder so your upper body is facing right), and you're pulling the ball behind your body. Then in your downswing, sometimes you're correcting it and squaring back up (messing up your swing direction and resulting in tugging the ball) and sometimes you're keeping your shoulders in that position and missing to the right of your target. I can't clearly see the arrows on the lane, but I would estimate that your shots are crossing the arrows in a 15-board window (you're everywhere between the first and middle arrows at 15 feet), which is about 12 boards too many. If you're playing the 10 board (second arrow) you should always be crossing the area between 8 and 12, and most of your shots should be between 9 and 11. That sounds real bad, but it's not too hard to fix with some work.

Try out this drill to work on your swing direction. When you take your position on the approach, line your right shoulder directly with the second arrow and square your shoulders to the foul line like you're doing. Keep your shoulders square and swing straight, with the objective being to roll the ball over the second arrow and all the way to the 6 pin. For this drill, do NOT think things like strikes, or even pockets. This is a SWING DIRECTION and HIT YOUR MARK drill only.

Once you get that part of the game down, then you can work on things like hook and tweaking your launch angle.

You do look like you have the makings of a nice release, and once you get the new ball and relax your swing, you're likely to be really good.

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.